Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Jamaica

I started a thread earlier asking about excursion ideas in Montego Bay. In my opening, I mentioned the one other time (2006) I was in Jamaica I never really felt secure. There are a few responses that agree with me.

So now a couple of general questions....is Jamaica a safe port and have you ever felt uncomfortable or unsafe on a Carnival excursion from a Jamaica port?
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschef View Post
I started a thread earlier asking about excursion ideas in Montego Bay. In my opening, I mentioned the one other time (2006) I was in Jamaica I never really felt secure. There are a few responses that agree with me.

So now a couple of general questions....is Jamaica a safe port and have you ever felt uncomfortable or unsafe on a Carnival excursion from a Jamaica port?
I have never run into any trouble in Montego Bay. I have been there many times. Just be careful.
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As I mentioned in your other post, I understand your concerns and share them. My last trip there, was to Mobe, and, as we entered Margarittaville, a drug deal went down within a foot of me...A policeman was quite close, as well, and, not sure he knew of it, or didn't care to know.

No port has really escaped some scary situations, and caution is advised everywhere, but, Jamaica has the reputation of a place to really pay attention to your surroundings.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 15th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Jamaica is one of those countries where I advise passengers to go through a Carnival excursion or an independent who has been referred to them by another cruiser.

Neither port (Ocho or MoBay ) is one where I will just walk off the ship and grab a taxi (like we do in most ports).

I do not consider myself to be overly cautious. I mean we got off an airplane in Israel and hailed a taxi (driving by a Palestinian that spoke no English) in the middle of the night to be taken to our hotel in Tel Aviv.

And other than the fact that at every red light, he had to ask other folks where our hotel was....we got there fine and without any concern.

I have been to both ports multiple times and on our very first excursion... (riding the bamboo rafts down the river)...our guide was a nice young man who was very honest with us that Jamaica was not safe for us not to venture to far from the ship excursion.

It is still the only port where I have been physically grabbed and drug (or attempted to) into their store.

There is NO excuse for that.

Just last year, two 70 year old sisters were attacked, when they got off a Carnival tour bus. Two different vendors grabbed them and attempted to drug them in different directions.

These two sweet sisters had never traveled and were terrified when this happened. Of course, their reaction was to resist. One fell and could have broken a hip.

Again, there is NO EXCUSE for anyone to be that disrespectful.
And this was on a Carnival tour....

This was in Mo Bay...

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 15th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks lhp....nice to see someone else from the Memphis area who loves cruise vacations also.
Old July 15th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Banned
Captain

Jamaica has a huge drug problem, and with it comes crime.
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Admiral

If the U.S. didn't have such an addiction to drugs, neither would Jamaica.
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Have been to Jamaica twice thru MOBAY. The first time we took the Appleton Estate rum tour and the bus trip there and back up the mountain scared the hell out of everyone on the bus. The actual tour and lunch at the distillery was great as were the complimental rum punches. The trip back, in the rain, down that road,with a mountain on one side and a cliff on the other brought to mind a news headline... "Bus load of drunk tourists goes off cliff."
The next trip was to Margaritaville in Negril and there was not a thing wrong with that trip from pier to pier.
I think most of the problems are in the eastern end of the island near Kingston.
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

My husband and 3 of his buddies went to montego bay in april. They are all pretty big dudes and said walking about there was pretty unnerving. The excursion was snorkling and they enjoyed that quite a bit...but going through town they were being approached with offers for all different kinds of drugs and prostitution.

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

That offering of drugs is just about everywhere in Jamaica and I have seen numerous teens and twenty somethings being field stripped at the cruise terminal checking for Ganja. Carnival even puts extra signs around departure gangways about it. It appears to be a fact of life in Jamaica. " Big Problem Mon"
Old July 15th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Familiar Face

Agree ,been there , done that. not again.
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Phil View Post
Agree ,been there , done that. not again.
My experience is about the same as yours.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Familiar Face

Sign up for the Booze Cruise! If not, just stay on the ship and let some other poor smuck get robbed at knife and or gunpoint.

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Been to Jamaica numerous times, both by cruise ship and land based vacations and never any problems. It's a beautiful county.

Unlike the US, it isn't a welfare state - if you don't earn a little money every day, you don't eat. Hunger can motivate people to be a little pushy. Sometimes I buy something small just to help out a little, even if I just throw it away on the ship.

Unless you are a druggy gang banger, and politically active, you shouldn't have any problems, mon.
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Familiar Face

Default Courtney Taylor

Hi every one, My name is Courtney Taylor and i am a independent tour operator in Montego Bay Jamaica. My tours in this area would start with some sight seeing in the mountains, towns and local community. Also a visit to the White Whitch of Rose Hall Great House. Then we do some shopping, beach and lunch. You get your own private guide for the day and go at your own time. You can google coutney taylor tours jamaica for reviews and other information
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Banned
Captain

I get the feeling that I am watching more and more commercials on this site...
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
I get the feeling that I am watching more and more commercials on this site...
Hi buttons16,

Sorry but they now allow th independent tour operators to interact with person on these forum. Just check me out you won't be disappointed
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Familiar Face

Jamaica is a colorful history filled island. I've been going to Jamaica for many years on land and cruise vacations. I've never had a problem, while I know that problems do exist there, as they do in any port. I'm from NYC and we have problems here too. Just as I would do anywhere in the world, I try to exercise caution and common sense. If a ship sponsored tour would make you feel more comfortable, then by all means take one. After all it is your vacation and you should enjoy it. I have never taken a ship sponsored tour because I find them overpriced but that's just me. I say do some research about the tours (both ship sponsored and private) and the everyday life of the area you will be visiting in order to make an informed decision. All of this information is available on the internet. Don't miss out on a chance to learn a little about another culture.

Enjoy!

Last edited by faraway; July 22nd, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
Jamaica is one of those countries where I advise passengers to go through a Carnival excursion or an independent who has been referred to them by another cruiser.

Neither port (Ocho or MoBay ) is one where I will just walk off the ship and grab a taxi (like we do in most ports).

I do not consider myself to be overly cautious. I mean we got off an airplane in Israel and hailed a taxi (driving by a Palestinian that spoke no English) in the middle of the night to be taken to our hotel in Tel Aviv.

And other than the fact that at every red light, he had to ask other folks where our hotel was....we got there fine and without any concern.

I have been to both ports multiple times and on our very first excursion... (riding the bamboo rafts down the river)...our guide was a nice young man who was very honest with us that Jamaica was not safe for us not to venture to far from the ship excursion.

It is still the only port where I have been physically grabbed and drug (or attempted to) into their store.

There is NO excuse for that.

Just last year, two 70 year old sisters were attacked, when they got off a Carnival tour bus. Two different vendors grabbed them and attempted to drug them in different directions.

These two sweet sisters had never traveled and were terrified when this happened. Of course, their reaction was to resist. One fell and could have broken a hip.

Again, there is NO EXCUSE for anyone to be that disrespectful.
And this was on a Carnival tour....

This was in Mo Bay...
Your post is a little confusing. Do you mean "dragged" or "drugged"? Very different situations, the "drugged" one being the scarier of the two.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
Admiral

There is first person experience and there is hearsay. It is not unusual for either to be embellished. I prefer to live my own life and not through embellished tales of others, much less embellished tales others have read.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks everyone for the input. Jamaica is a beautiful island and I know we will have a great time. From reading all the posts on here, it sounds like Jamaica is pretty much the same as it was with my first visit, beautiful and unique. But as the same time, like many other places in the world today, it requires an open eye and some common sense when visiting.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input. Jamaica is a beautiful island and I know we will have a great time. From reading all the posts on here, it sounds like Jamaica is pretty much the same as it was with my first visit, beautiful and unique. But as the same time, like many other places in the world today, it requires an open eye and some common sense when visiting.
You get it.
Old July 24th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
You get it.
Have fun. You never know what wll happen. I watched With my own eyes Mom and Pop apple pie harrassed, man handled, and frisked by the security as they tried to reboard the boat. Obvious Racial by the blacks!

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 25th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Does that cost extra?
Old July 29th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
I think that's the exact way you should look at it, just be aware of your surroundings. I know that's how I am when in downtown Houston.

Sweet
loves to cruise!

Old August 7th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

My wife went with her family a while back and they were advised to stay within sight of the ship and plan their excursions before they arrived.
Old August 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ets80 View Post
My wife went with her family a while back and they were advised to stay within sight of the ship and plan their excursions before they arr.
just google courtney taylor tours Jamaica for the best way to see and enjoy Jamaica
Old August 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi all...this is my first post here but had to chime in. I have to say one of my favourite 'all inclusive' trips was to jamaica....the hotel and beach was awesome...yes there were some ahem...venders out and about but a polite no thank you and walk away was all we had to do...at the beach anyway...but...the go betweens outside the resort, without a guided tour...no way!

we did hire a taxi who took us to Rosehall though... which was absolutly fantastic...if your ship offers that tour take it! Highly recommended!

kim
too new for a signature ... work in progress!