Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

So sorry to hear this story, but lesson learned I would hope.. Nope, I can't place any blame on Carnival here and you did say, they looked for the luggage.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Wow....

You can see why the cruise lines are so successful when people are so ready to back them up in any decision.

If it had been an airline you can be sure they would have been able to find the bag - but a flight generally only has a few hundred fliers and fewer bags per person. But whether they would or not is another question. They only have so much time to load and it requires resources to look for a bag. You did say they tried but were unsuccessful - I think that is the best they can do, but I am a little surprised they do not have a better system.

I have also forgotten my passport in my suitcase and I was allowed onboard anyway - but this was in 1996. I was told, "well, if you're lying its your problem, not ours."

Well, that is not true anymore - it is the cruise lines' responsibility these days as well.

here is what I would have done - (and maybe you did). I would have had everyone on board peeking into the crew areas on your deck all day looking for that one suitcase - there was a good chance it would appear on your deck and sit in a big pile for hours before it got distributed to your room. Had you seen it you could have asked for it, found the passport and ran off the ship to deliver it.

I am very sorry you missed your cruise. This is the first time I have heard of this happening to anyone - and its a very expensive lesson.

I also might have gone back to the same stevedore who took it originally and said "I need that bag back, $50 if you can bring it to me." Just to see what happened.

I have seen a show on TV about Royal Caribbean loading Oasis and the one woman responsible for fixing problems like this. Boy, she has a chaotic job.
Old July 17th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Wow....

You can see why the cruise lines are so successful when people are so ready to back them up in any decision.

If it had been an airline you can be sure they would have been able to find the bag - but a flight generally only has a few hundred fliers and fewer bags per person. But whether they would or not is another question. They only have so much time to load and it requires resources to look for a bag. You did say they tried but were unsuccessful - I think that is the best they can do, but I am a little surprised they do not have a better system.

I have also forgotten my passport in my suitcase and I was allowed onboard anyway - but this was in 1996. I was told, "well, if you're lying its your problem, not ours."

Well, that is not true anymore - it is the cruise lines' responsibility these days as well.

here is what I would have done - (and maybe you did). I would have had everyone on board peeking into the crew areas on your deck all day looking for that one suitcase - there was a good chance it would appear on your deck and sit in a big pile for hours before it got distributed to your room. Had you seen it you could have asked for it, found the passport and ran off the ship to deliver it.

I am very sorry you missed your cruise. This is the first time I have heard of this happening to anyone - and its a very expensive lesson.

I also might have gone back to the same stevedore who took it originally and said "I need that bag back, $50 if you can bring it to me." Just to see what happened.

I have seen a show on TV about Royal Caribbean loading Oasis and the one woman responsible for fixing problems like this. Boy, she has a chaotic job.
Hahaha...I should have used the $50 trick. That's a very good one
And yes, all of our friends were looking all over the deck for the baggage.
I can imagine the cruise liners have a hard job with all the luggage. I'm surprised that in this modern world they do not have a solution for this. I think that a cruise line should have special procedures in place for passengers who are temporarily separated from their passport.
Old July 17th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree that it would be a good idea - but in fact it only points out the reality of economics everywhere - that right now most businesses are just getting by with a bare-bones, over-worked staff.

I know Carnival hates to see these kinds of things happens, who would ever want to look a child in the eyes and tell him he can't go on his cruise for one very simple mistake - it is really sad. I am just sorry more people here did not express their condolences.
Old July 17th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartinus View Post
Actually, they were looking. Our people were looking on the deck but the Carnival people were also looking for our luggage, but also luggage of other people that also left their passport in their luggage and those luggage were found on time. Our luggage was not found on time. Makes me conclude that Carnival does not have a procedure in place to quickly find a luggage. Would you agree?

This is the most unreasonable expectations I have never heard.

You really expect Carnival to be able to lay their hands on one piece of luggage out of over 4,000+ pieces?

Really??

It is called personal responsibility .... the passenger had the responsibility to keep up with their own passport and you ( as a leader ) had the responsibility to make sure those under your "leadership" had their passports on their person.

Carnival has absolutely no liability here. It is a cruise line, not a babysitter.

Carnival went out of their way to look and help as much as they could (and they did not HAVE to do that)...

Please stop trying to blame someone else....... geez....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 17th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
This is the most unreasonable expectations I have never heard.

You really expect Carnival to be able to lay their hands on one piece of luggage out of over 4,000+ pieces?

Really??

It is called personal responsibility .... the passenger had the responsibility to keep up with their own passport and you ( as a leader ) had the responsibility to make sure those under your "leadership" had their passports on their person.

Carnival has absolutely no liability here. It is a cruise line, not a babysitter.

Carnival went out of their way to look and help as much as they could (and they did not HAVE to do that)...

Please stop trying to blame someone else....... geez....
Read all my reactions so you can get the full picture before judging people!
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Airlines do know how many bags a person checked and the bar code does identify the specific passenger. This is required by law. Airlines also charge for checked baggage. I am not interested in the price of my cruise going up to offset someone else's irresponsibility.

Even at that, airlines lose tons of luggage every year. There is even a TV show on luggage auctions. I doubt anything like what an airline does could scale to a cruise ship.

When airlines don't lose your luggage, it is all stored together from point A to point B and dumped on a conveyor belt where you have to find your own and take with you. It isn't like the airline tries to deliver all luggage to passengers in their seats.

A cruise line doesn't make you pick up your luggage from a central facility. Once luggage is taken on the ship it is sorted and resorted and is constantly being moved until it ends up at your cabin. Usually. Even cruise lines misplace luggage and sometimes it just can't be found.

The bottom line is still the bottom line and I see no reason for mine to be impacted by some else's carelessness.
Old July 17th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Banned
Captain

The cruise lines system is fine...I never had a lost piece of luggage on a cruise ship...If you have everything you need with you then no problems..

I understand that people make mistakes...I just can't understand how something that you have waited so long for, (most people anyway wait a long time)you miss because you dont have all the paperwork with you...I don't get it...I check, recheck and triple check everything...I make sure I have every single item I need to board in my hands.. Of all the times I have flown (hundreds) and sailed, I always had everything with me..And you can bet your bottom dollar my wife and I will have every single thing we need to board that Crystal ship in December.
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:31 AM
First Mate

Very sorry to hear this, dmartinus. I’m sure the little one was devastated. I get all the points made by other posters here but one would think that cruise lines would have developed a tracking system by now to return luggage to those people that are denied boarding. That is not an unreasonable expectation in my opinion either.

I’m surprised at those who continually "attack" after the OP has taken responsibility over and over and was simply asking for opinions/input. Perhaps the comment “Carnival did not want to take any responsibility” set you off but geez, we get it; you are PERFECT and never make mistakes.

Old July 18th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The post from the OP sounded more like he was blaming Carnival for the mishap, when they did try to locate the luggage, but couldn't in time. It is unfortunate that ships don't have the same tracking tags that the airlines do, but in no way was Carnival at fault, I think the posters were just trying to point that out. We live and learn by mistakes, as we cruisers all know, our travel docs are at the top of the packing list and we double, triple check those before we leave home.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

A child lost his cruise due to an error that could have happened to anyone. Maybe he told the leader he had the passport when she asked because he thought he did have it. Then she had to stay behind with him and miss her cruise, too.

These were not regular cruisers - they were novices. Maybe they didn't even realize their baggage would be taken away not to be seen again until they were on the ship.

Have a little compassion folks. It just amazes me how people will talk to strangers here in a manner they would never do to someone in real life.

As I said, I have made the same mistake and I was not denied my cruise. I would have been devastated after having flown accross the country and made plans to cruise for a week - not to mention the cost.
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM
First Mate

Cool Lost Documents

Quote:
A child lost his cruise due to an error that could have happened to anyone. Maybe he told the leader he had the passport when she asked because he thought he did have it. Then she had to stay behind with him and miss her cruise, too.

These were not regular cruisers - they were novices. Maybe they didn't even realize their baggage would be taken away not to be seen again until they were on the ship.

Have a little compassion folks. It just amazes me how people will talk to strangers here in a manner they would never do to someone in real life.

As I said, I have made the same mistake and I was not denied my cruise. I would have been devastated after having flown accross the country and made plans to cruise for a week - not to mention the cost.
Sorry Paul, but we have all made our first cruise and the documents are the most important item you take, with the exception of medication. We know they should be with us at all times not packed in the suitcase. An airline has a few hundred bags to check and a cruise ship chould have 4000 to 12000 or so for larger ships. Maybe the cruiselines should have a better system, but they don't and 99.99% of people on cruises get on without any problems. When you book the cruise their is so much paperwork and information to read and help you prior to getting on and it is up to you to read it.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Actually, I would think the cruise line would have system to retrieve bags if necessary, and it only makes sense that bags are sorted throughout the day and that eventually that bag would arrive at a predicted area. The OP said the line tried to find the bag but failed.

It may not have been Carnival's fault, however. I had a similar situation recently where a cruise line told us in the media that we MUST check our handheld bags to get through security, but that we could pick them up immediately afterwards.

But no one told us where or when to pick them up, and when I went back to get mine no one knew where I should go and I was told to check back. When I did the TSA official said I was too late (it was only about 20 minutes later) He was the one who said "absolutely not, that bag has already been screened and no one is going in there to look for it."
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes - any traveler should know this - never, ever, let yourself be separated from your documents and medications, because losing either one will ruin your trip.

I know it personally - but I have also been in a situation where a friend of mine forgot her carry on bag when we were checking in at the airport security to go to Europe. When she realied it we said "well, we have to go home..." BUT fortunately someone at the security gate where we checked in saw she had forgotten it and put it aside. A two week cruise in Europe saved!

By the same token, I once convinced the same person to put her carry on overhead on a train, and when we had to jump off quickly (in France) she forgot it onboard. We immediately called the railroad line but it was not to be found. We had to have her medications shipped to her overnight from the US - what a mess that was.
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Actually, I would think the cruise line would have system to retrieve bags if necessary, and it only makes sense that bags are sorted throughout the day and that eventually that bag would arrive at a predicted area. The OP said the line tried to find the bag but failed.

It may not have been Carnival's fault, however. I had a similar situation recently where a cruise line told us in the media that we MUST check our handheld bags to get through security, but that we could pick them up immediately afterwards.

But no one told us where or when to pick them up, and when I went back to get mine no one knew where I should go and I was told to check back. When I did the TSA official said I was too late (it was only about 20 minutes later) He was the one who said "absolutely not, that bag has already been screened and no one is going in there to look for it."
Although it may sound like a TSA official (clueless), TSA has nothing to do with cruise port security.
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Zydeco...

I assume you are correct, although it was not a cruise line rep, he was some kind of gov't official.
Old July 18th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Zydeco...

I assume you are correct, although it was not a cruise line rep, he was some kind of gov't official.
I wasn't there, but if a typical cruise port set up, it would have been some private contractor. There could have been extra (real) security hired if a special event.

I just don't know why there should be an extra safety net (cost) for people denied boarding. They should know better. Here we have a good example of someone denied boarding publicizing what might happen. If someone won't read the information provided by the cruise lines, perhaps they will read here and learn from others.
Old July 18th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You know - the more I think about it the more I see the OP's original point about security.

An airlines checks your passport and takes your bags for check-in at the same time - even if you check in at the curb. So, if your passport is in your bag you have a chance to get it out.

But a cruise line has stevedores greeting each bus and will take any bag that has a luggage tag - or they will even give you a luggage tag to put on the bag and just ask for your room number.

This is not very good security, and once they have that bag they have no record of who gave it to them. It is a too easy as a security breach. So, I do have to give kudos to the OP there for pointing that out.

It would save a lot of cruises if the cruise lines checked passports before they took the bags.

I do recall some stevedores asking me if I had my passport before they took my bags, and I remember wondering "why are they asking me, they don't need my passport?" But now it makes sense, but obviously not all of them do that.
Old July 18th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Admiral

I can just see the bottleneck that would become if they did.

Can you imagine a bus load of passengers (typical cruise line transfer) showing up? Now not only do the passengers have to find their luggage, but also have to provide ID for each one? And even at that, there is still no association between the luggage and a specific individual.

Above and beyond that, I don't even want to think about what kind of extra money the union would want for the extra labor.

On the terrorist argument, how many hotels screen people's luggage? Luxury resorts?

You can never provide absolute security, but you can sure waste money trying. Better intelligence makes for better security, instead of trying to anticipate all possible scenarios (impossible). The reality is a tradeoff between cost and benefit and I'm not willing to pay more than I already am.
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
I can just see the bottleneck that would become if they did.

Can you imagine a bus load of passengers (typical cruise line transfer) showing up? Now not only do the passengers have to find their luggage, but also have to provide ID for each one? And even at that, there is still no association between the luggage and a specific individual.

Above and beyond that, I don't even want to think about what kind of extra money the union would want for the extra labor.

On the terrorist argument, how many hotels screen people's luggage? Luxury resorts?

You can never provide absolute security, but you can sure waste money trying. Better intelligence makes for better security, instead of trying to anticipate all possible scenarios (impossible). The reality is a tradeoff between cost and benefit and I'm not willing to pay more than I already am.
Do not all bags go through screening detectors PRIOR to going on the ship just like screenings at the airport? If so, that would eliminate the terrorist threat some what. But I agree if someone wants to do harm it is very difficult to stop them.
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
Do not all bags go through screening detectors PRIOR to going on the ship just like screenings at the airport? If so, that would eliminate the terrorist threat some what. But I agree if someone wants to do harm it is very difficult to stop them.
They do, but are not specifically tied to an individual. It also seems like the private contractors doing the screening are preoccupied looking for booze smugglers. Whoa - now thats a real security risk.
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Problem here is, how in the world does anyone take the word of a child when it comes to something as important as this...Not only would I have to see all documents but I would be the one holding all documents of all the children.
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Admiral

I obviously don't hold the child responsible, but the child's parents and then the chaperone. It's unfortunate that it happened and I believe it is safe to say lesson learned.

It isn't a lack of compassion but the fact that it isn't Carnival's fault or responsibility. At least not today and perhaps not ever.

A lot of this could be avoided if they would just go ahead an implant RFID chips in everyone.
Old July 19th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

By the way - here is another story from a couple months ago about carnival that makes a STRONG case for them developing a tracking system.

Carnival Cruise ship leaves with family's luggage, dialysis machine | News - Home

MIAMI -
A South Florida woman says she and her family were escorted off a Carnival Cruise ship after the cruise line could not find her daughter's dialysis machine.

Lillian Hensley, her disabled daughter, her son and her daughter-in-law were supposed to set sail for a five-day Carnival Cruise to Jamaica last weekend.

Christine, her daughter, requires nightly dialysis, and Hensley said she received clearance from Carnival to bring a portable dialysis machine onboard.

Shortly after checking in Saturday, Hensley said she got a call from the ship's staff saying they couldn't find their luggage or the machine.
When she told the person that her daughter could not live without dialysis, she said she was told to get off the ship.

"I said, 'Without everything? You're giving me like a death sentence for my daughter,'" Hensley said.

She said the cruise line did not offer an apology or explanation, but told her to take her daughter to the emergency room.

"They just escorted us off the ship," Hensley said.

The family was left in Miami as the ship sailed away with their dialysis machine and their luggage.

STILL ON THE SHIP!
Old July 19th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

Paul a lot of times will take the opposite position, I think only to stimulate discussion. But in this case I agree with him 100%.

As I was reading the posts, I was thinking of responding with simular thoughts as Paul's post.

OF C'er
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFartCruiser View Post
Paul a lot of times will take the opposite position, I think only to stimulate discussion. But in this case I agree with him 100%.

As I was reading the posts, I was thinking of responding with simular thoughts as Paul's post.
This is true, that I often take the opposite point of biew solely to point out that the other side isn't 100% wrong - there are OFTEN many different aspects to a story, and frnkly it surprises me when so many people can't get past citing the cruise contract as if it is written in stone and get to the fundamental aspects of a case concerning right and wrong.

Now - I don't think the cruise lines have a responsibility to pay more taxes (like Jay Rockefeller said) - but I do think there a few things the cruise industry could change for the better of passengers.

I now think a better luggage tracking system is one of them - this has happened a few too many times now.

And also - I don't get the people who say "I don't want the price of my ticket to go up because of idiots who don't read the rules before they board." - Sometimes having a system is just a matter of better planning - and doesn't cost $.01 extra
Old July 19th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
The cruise lines system is fine...I never had a lost piece of luggage on a cruise ship...If you have everything you need with you then no problems..

I understand that people make mistakes...I just can't understand how something that you have waited so long for, (most people anyway wait a long time)you miss because you dont have all the paperwork with you...I don't get it...I check, recheck and triple check everything...I make sure I have every single item I need to board in my hands.. Of all the times I have flown (hundreds) and sailed, I always had everything with me..And you can bet your bottom dollar my wife and I will have every single thing we need to board that Crystal ship in December.
All I can say is bragging about having never lost luggage is Living Dangerous!!

That being said I always slip the Porter a $10 to insure the bags make it to the boat. Pan Am had a practice where if a passenger was being a bit obnoxios, a Bombay baggage tag would be attached. Lots of unclaimed bags ended up in Bombay!

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
By the way - here is another story from a couple months ago about carnival that makes a STRONG case for them developing a tracking system.
Most people know not to check valuables or critical medicines because luggage might go missing for a while, or even be lost. It happens every day with airlines.

The other night, there was a prosthetic leg on the luggage auction show - probably forgotten on the NY transit system. How in the hell does someone forget their leg? But I guess it happens and I guess I digress. And there is the lost luggage place in Alabama. It is big business.
Unclaimed Baggage Center

I think what it makes a case for is an extra charge for an extra tracking service, if desired, for critical items. Or a new type of insurance. I think most people concerned about luggage have insurance.

I think there are relatively few who would benefit from a tracking service. I think there would definitively be an extra cost and no benefit to the cruise line bottom line, which means it gets passed on.

Even if implemented, some luggage would go missing, as it does every day on airlines. Even the OP stated that the cruise lines were able to recover some bags of those denied boarding and it sounds like they did a pretty good job, in general.

You can try to make things foolproof, but you can never make them damn fool proof.
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFartCruiser View Post

OF C'er
He does, but to his credit, he states it in his signature.
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capndinghy View Post
All I can say is bragging about having never lost luggage is Living Dangerous!!

That being said I always slip the Porter a $10 to insure the bags make it to the boat. Pan Am had a practice where if a passenger was being a bit obnoxios, a Bombay baggage tag would be attached. Lots of unclaimed bags ended up in Bombay!
Is that why they changed the name to Mumbai? They were tired of all the misdirected luggage?