Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Familiar Face

Angry Denied boarding - luggage remained on board

We were going on our dream cruise with my family and some young people (for which it was their first cruise).
One of the young persons accidentally left him passport in his luggage.
As a leader I was forced to sacrifice my cruise to stay with him in Miami.
We both had no luggage and little money to get around in Miami.

Carnival did not want to take any responsibility.
But I am wondering why they could not find the luggage of the young person.
We entrusted Carnival with the luggage and their luggage handling system could not detect the luggage of a person that is not going to board in minutes. The worst thing is that we have given the luggage before hand to the porters and went back to pick up the travelers. So, when we got back, it was impossible to get the passport in the luggage. Worst: Carnival could not find the luggage either. They delivered the luggage hours later when the cruise was already sailing. And yes, there was the passport.
If Carnival had found the luggage on time, all would have been fine.
Now this cruise turned in to a nightmare for my wife, children and all the young people traveling with us.

So, my questions are:
1. is Carnival responsible? can we claim a re-do? and also claim the money we spend in Miami?
2. if not, is ti normal that if someone is denied boarding that their luggage will remain on board? isn't against security laws? what is a terrorist or so want to do the ship harm; seems to me like Carnival can not handle this; please comment
3. does anyone know how the Carnival Luggage Handling procedure work?
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Captain

Pretty sure carnival would have no liability as it was their mistake packing the passport.

Most ships have 2000 passengers and about 900 crew, figuring 2 pieces of luggage each that's 5800 pieces of luggage they pack and bring on board via huge forklifts. It's not the same as pulling off some luggage on a flight with 200 people.

Not sure what trip your on but if you can get a copy of the passport you could fly to the first port and rejoin your cruise. When people miss boarding they sometimes choose this route.

If you have travel insurance I'd call them if you haven't already.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Canival did nothing wrong. The suitcase was handed over. As a group leader with first time cruisers, I would have asked the passenger if they had their passport "in hand" before this happened.
There are thousands, yes thousands of suitcases entering the ship.
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:49 AM
First Mate

Cool Group Leader

A group leader with young travellers would have asked over and over again, " Do you have your passports", and keep asking. Ship luggage does not have bar codes as airlines do, so it is almost impossible to locate. It was not the cruise lines fault that the passport was packed in the suitcase. If the passport was packed in the suitcase you may or may not hae been able to fly to the first port if it required a passport to board plane. If just license, then may be ok.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Old July 16th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Familiar Face

No it's not Carnival's responsibility that someone packed their passport in their luggage, someone should have checked to make sure everyone had their documents.

You ask: "2. if not, is ti normal that if someone is denied boarding that their luggage will remain on board? isn't against security laws? what is a terrorist or so want to do the ship harm; seems to me like Carnival can not handle this."

But then you stated: "They delivered the luggage hours later when the cruise was already sailing. And yes, there was the passport."

So there is no security issue there since you received your luggage.
If Carnival had found the luggage on time, all would have been fine.
Now this cruise turned in to a nightmare for my wife, children and all the young people traveling with us.
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Admiral

I thought you might be a seasoned cruiser, but obviously NOT. You've seen the luggage being loaded, and loaded, and loaded. Yet you expected to have someone go and look thru thousands of suitcases for ONE? Really

When we look at the picture as a whole, the blame starts with YOU, sorry.
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

We collect all the required documents in advance and keep them all in one place. Children often cannot be counted on to do what is expected of them so we have to take resposabilty for them.

I hope it all works out for you. This was an expensive lesson in following directions I'm sure.
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Familiar Face

Default Packing is not the point

Thanks for all the replies, but you are missing one point.
The luggage handling.

What if I am a terrorist or so and I give my luggage to the porters and then do not board. What if I intended wrong with the cruise. Should not the cruise-line have a system in place to track that luggage withing minutes to get that luggage of board? One might never know what's in a luggage and to leave it on board is a breach of security in my opinion.
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Familiar Face

Fair point aerospace.
However, I don't think that you have a valid argument saying that there is a lot of luggage. You see, we had the luggage tag on the luggage. Does cruise-liners not have a system to sort luggage according deck? And if a luggage tag says AFT, should the luggage not be sorted to the AFT section of that deck?
Or is it like they load all luggage on the ship and then see how they distribute them?
In other words, is the luggage handling system acceptable for you are a traveler?
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Familiar Face

The are not going to delay 3000 paying passengers because of a forgotten passport. I doubt if they even looked for the kid's suitcase. Just because you have a luggage tag on your suitcase, it does not mean they will stop and have everyone look for it.
Bummer is all I can say.

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Familiar Face

Actually, they were looking. Our people were looking on the deck but the Carnival people were also looking for our luggage, but also luggage of other people that also left their passport in their luggage and those luggage were found on time. Our luggage was not found on time. Makes me conclude that Carnival does not have a procedure in place to quickly find a luggage. Would you agree?
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartinus View Post
Fair point aerospace.
However, I don't think that you have a valid argument saying that there is a lot of luggage. You see, we had the luggage tag on the luggage. Does cruise-liners not have a system to sort luggage according deck? And if a luggage tag says AFT, should the luggage not be sorted to the AFT section of that deck?
Or is it like they load all luggage on the ship and then see how they distribute them?
In other words, is the luggage handling system acceptable for you are a traveler?
I think that you are missing the point. The only knowledge of the luggage that Carnival has it that it is tagged for the deck and cabin, and has been scanned before being loaded on the ship. Therefore, if there was anything questionable in the luggage it would have been found, whether the owner was onboard or not (the airlines employ this same practice, by the way). It probably wasn't that Carnival couldn't have found the luggage in question, it's that they weren't willing to delay the ship's departure to look through thousands of suitcases.

The bottom line is you, and only you, are responsible for having the proper travel documents to board the ship. That being said, I cruise often with my nieces, who are now in their twenties, and I annoy them to no end when I question them about their passports and tickets. Once I found out the night before that one had left her passport at home so we had to make a late night run back to her house to get it.

Don't bother looking to Carnival for help or compensation. This one is on you and it's a very expensive lesson.
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

All luggage being boarded on a ship does now go through the same security scanning as it does in airports, so the question of security is mute.

It is real shame what happened to you and the young person who put their passport in their checked luggage.

As you drop luggage with the porters it's simply placed in large bins (you see at the pier), later those bins are moved onto the ship. They do have crews onboard sorting the luggage for delivery once it's on the ship.

You can imagine it's a bit of a madhouse loading all the luggage as it arrives.

I don't know what the timing was of your arrival for check in (when you were unable to board), but perhaps if it had happened earlier in the day they MIGHT have been able to find the bag.

Unfortunately, for your situation, it is the passenger's responsibility to have the proper documentation necessary at check in. I don't see how one can expect the cruise line to be responsible for anyone misplacing those documents.

It's a lousy situation to have found yourself in, no question. Sadly, the only responsibility lies with the person who mistakenly packed their passport in their lubbage.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Actually, they were looking. Our people were looking on the deck but the Carnival people were also looking for our luggage, but also luggage of other people that also left their passport in their luggage and those luggage were found on time. Our luggage was not found on time. Makes me conclude that Carnival does not have a procedure in place to quickly find a luggage. Would you agree?
YES! It is obvious they do not.

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies, but you are missing one point.
The luggage handling.

What if I am a terrorist or so and I give my luggage to the porters and then do not board. What if I intended wrong with the cruise. Should not the cruise-line have a system in place to track that luggage withing minutes to get that luggage of board? One might never know what's in a luggage and to leave it on board is a breach of security in my opinion.
Carnival has no liability or responsibility. Sometimes porters ask if you have your passport but don't check it against the luggage. In any event, porters are not the employees of Carnival.

There is no tracking of luggage to a specific person. Luggage is screened before being placed on the the ship.
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Admiral

This thread is already unreasonable. I doubt if ALL lost luggage was found except YOURS. If they did, it was a fluke amongst thousands of suitcases.
Now you are trying to bring in the terrorist thing.What does that have to do with lost luggage? It's been explained about scanning.
I would imagine sorting would start soon after arrival on the ship so delivery can be started almost immediately, but your suitcase was buried somewhere. I've watched some of this and it's mind boggling! I think you are being somewhat unreasonable. I've had luggage go on one ship, and we were on another. The luggage was found the next day as it was undeliverable, it went on a cruise without us.
Anyway, you know the rest of the story.
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
This thread is already unreasonable. I doubt if ALL lost luggage was found except YOURS. If they did, it was a fluke amongst thousands of suitcases.
Now you are trying to bring in the terrorist thing.What does that have to do with lost luggage? It's been explained about scanning.
I would imagine sorting would start soon after arrival on the ship so delivery can be started almost immediately, but your suitcase was buried somewhere. I've watched some of this and it's mind boggling! I think you are being somewhat unreasonable. I've had luggage go on one ship, and we were on another. The luggage was found the next day as it was undeliverable, it went on a cruise without us.
Anyway, you know the rest of the story.
Ok, thanks for your reply.
I only posted this thread only for more points of view.
Just you know, the cruise crew WAS looking for our luggage and the luggage of all the other people that left their passport in their luggage. I was there at the entrance when I see all the other people happy for getting hold of their passport and we were still waiting. That's the only reason why I question the luggage handling system of Carnival. I am not questioning it to run from our own responsibility of having the documents at hand.
Regarding the terrorist, I only wanted to state that someone could want to do a ship harm. So my question, as stated above, was if anyone know how how the luggage handling system works. Someone answered that question saying that it is screened just like on airlines. So that is sufficient for me.
But I thank everyone for their sincere, honest and straight to the point answers
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
I've had luggage go on one ship, and we were on another.
How did that happen? Every cruise port I've been to has had separate check in areas for each ship. It's not like an airline where everyone checks in at the same counter.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
How did that happen? Every cruise port I've been to has had separate check in areas for each ship. It's not like an airline where everyone checks in at the same counter.
I've come close. Your luggage doesn't check in with you - you hand it to a porter before you check in. If you give to the wrong porter and they don't check the luggage tag, it could easily end up on the wrong ship.

In my case, two terminals were adjacent and I screwed up. Notice I don't blame the cruise line for my screw up. Luckily I quickly realized my mistake. It seemed like forever before I could get the union boss and the head of security to agree, but we were able to retrieve my suitcases before they had passed through the xray machines or they likely would have gone on a different cruise.

Oops.
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Familiar Face

Sorry this happened to you. I almost had the same issue on one of our first cruises. I had my passport in my rolling suitcase (carry-on size) but when we got to the pier they said I had to check that. Gave it to the porter and got halfway to the entrance and realized my documents were in the bag. Luckily I realized it then and was able to run back to the porter and grab the docs out of the bag.

Now the docs are in my purse or backpack, and I check multiple times before we get to the desk, even though I know exactly where they are.

Past Cruises -
Carnival - 20 cruises, 106 days (Platinum)
Royal Caribbean - 2 cruises, 10 days (Gold)
Norwegian - 2 cruises, 10 days (Bronze)
Disney - 2 cruises, 8 days (Silver)
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCruiser View Post
Sorry this happened to you. I almost had the same issue on one of our first cruises. I had my passport in my rolling suitcase (carry-on size) but when we got to the pier they said I had to check that. Gave it to the porter and got halfway to the entrance and realized my documents were in the bag. Luckily I realized it then and was able to run back to the porter and grab the docs out of the bag.

Now the docs are in my purse or backpack, and I check multiple times before we get to the desk, even though I know exactly where they are.
Indeed: for us it is also lesson learned.
In our case we dropped all luggage first and then an hour later the travelers, since our van could not hold both the luggage and the passengers.
So, thanks for your response.
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Indeed: for us it is also lesson learned.
In our case we dropped all luggage first and then an hour later the travelers, since our van could not hold both the luggage and the passengers.
So, thanks for your response.
Funny..the opposite happened to us on one of our cruises from Miami. There were so many of us at the hotel in FLL, that the luggage was all in a trailer behind the other van. We were following each other, but the van with the luggage got caught in traffic. So we had to wait an hour outside the terminal for the van to show up with our luggage before we could check in.

Past Cruises -
Carnival - 20 cruises, 106 days (Platinum)
Royal Caribbean - 2 cruises, 10 days (Gold)
Norwegian - 2 cruises, 10 days (Bronze)
Disney - 2 cruises, 8 days (Silver)
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Banned
Captain

Sorry you missed the ship BUT,

When will adults take responsibility for their own actions...or in this case lack of action..(Making sure everyone had their proper documentation)...Sir the responsiblity falls right in your lap.
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Sorry you missed the ship BUT,

When will adults take responsibility for their own actions...or in this case lack of action..(Making sure everyone had their proper documentation)...Sir the responsiblity falls right in your lap.
I'm sorry you have the impression that I might be trying to run from my responsibility.
But I am only asking questions to see what experience others have had.
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Admiral

I think the OP get's it so do we have to keep beating the dead horse!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Familiar Face

I have a question: Was the luggage tab on this particular suitcase one that was printed with the bar code? Just curious.
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllabon View Post
I have a question: Was the luggage tab on this particular suitcase one that was printed with the bar code? Just curious.
All our luggage had the luggage tag that one should download after checking in online.
We followed the folding and the staple instructions and made sure the luggage tag was on the handle of the luggage. So the bar-code was clearly visible when we gave the luggage to the porter. After that I don't know. And even it was not necessary, we printed the luggage tags in color!
Old July 16th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Admiral

I doubt the bar codes are used for anything, but certainly don't identify a specific passenger.
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
Travelled to port on a bus. Our drop off was second, luggage got pulled out from storage under the bus while 1st bunch got theirs. The bus driver never put it back on the bus. Ours got picked up and taken to their ship. Even though the discovery was less than 1/2 hour, luggage made it on that ship. Got reunited after our cruise.
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Admiral

With all the thousands of passengers boarding at ONE TIME, the special requests, cleaning the cabins, getting lunch and snacks ready for a new group of hungry passengers, I'm in awe that the crew gets our luggage to our cabins at all!!! We've been on about 15 cruises so far...and our luggage has always been in our cabin in time for us to, freshen up for dinner. Amazing! Kudos' to the staff and crew.