Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:53 AM
Familiar Face

Default passports on excursions??

Hi, all! as my cruise gets closer and closer it's all I can think about...aaah but, of course, that leads to more questions...sorrry!! This will be the first time we cruise with passports. When we leave the ship for excursions should the passports go with us or stay dry in the room safe??? thanks everyone.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:39 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi Cath,
We haven't taken ours ashore and were never saked for them, but I have read in the past that some ports (sorry don't remember which one) require them, I am sure if they were needed the info will be givne to you on the ship. Now, IF for some reason you miss the ship after a day in port you will probably need to fly to the next port (at your own expense) to catch up. I'm pretty sure you would need the pass port for that. IF there is is a reason you have to cut the cruise short and go home for any reason you will have to have the PP.

If I am wrong on this, I'm sure someone will correct the error.

Have fun...
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Admiral

We have not hit a port that requires cruisers to carry their passports. We did surrender them to the ship when going between Greece and Turkey and back for inspection by border patrol of those countries. I understand there is a similar process when going to St. Peterburgh though we have not been.

Some ports will require you to carry ID in addition to your sign & sail card. Actual enforcement may vary. Pay a attention to announcements and the Fun Times and check posted signage as you disembark.

Our passports always cruise in the safe.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Familiar Face

When we are on a ship sponsored excursion, we usually leave them in the safe. If we are going off on our own, we take them with us. Just in case. Accidents, traffic, emergencies do happen and I do not want to be stuck in a foreign port without it.
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I always carry them in the event of an accident or missing the ship. I have never had a problem and have waterproof holders. Just my reasons why I carry them .....
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:49 PM
Admiral

We always leave our passports in the safe and use our driver's license as our photo id in ports.

There was one time when I was concerned about hubby and oldest son making it back to the ship from an independent excursion...but still did not want to take the chance of the passports getting wet (cave tubing)....

so I just made photocopies of the passports and put them in a ziplock bag and put that (with the money and Sail and Sign cards and a credit card) in one of those Carnival water resistant hard plastic wallet thingy that hangs around your neck.

Nothing got wet....and they made it back in plenty of time....

NOW we have the Passport cards that we do take onshore to use as ID....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have heard that some cruisers take a copy of their passports onshore with them. I have stopped at some ports that want you to have a picture ID, then I took my drivers license, but it was never asked for. Always leave actual passport in the cabin safe during the cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Familiar Face

In most ports I have never been asked for my passport. However, San Juan Puerto Rico, was the exception. We had to show them before they would let us through the gate to get back on the ship. My friend left his in his room and I had to go and get it and bring it back for him.
Old August 12th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We are going to San Juan April 2013. Would they accept any other identification if you don't have a passport? I have a passport but my granddaughter does not. My son could not get one for her because her mom is out of the pic and they still have joint custody. That was not acceptable and they wouldn't issue one to her.

Thanks.
Old August 12th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bigun,
How old is your daughter?? Any way the mom can get the passport? If for some reason you had to end the cruise early for some reason, it would be difficult to get back to the US without having a passport. You still have plenty of time, but I wouldn't travel without one...

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 13th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

On a Caribbean cruise you will not need your passport. You should take your State issued ID (i.e. Drivers License) with you, a copy of your passport, and the "Ship's Agent" contact number. The Ship's Agents information will be in your daily newsletter/schedule.

There are ports such as: Russia, Dubrovnik and other non-Caribbean ports that you may need to take your passport with you but the ship will inform you if this is required.

If you are a U.S. citizen you will not need a passport in Puerto Rico. It's a U.S. Territory. Just show your State Driver's license and you will be fine.

I am strongly guessing that the person who had to show a passport in San Juan (I am assuming San Juan, Puerto Rico) was not a U.S. citizen or did not have a State Issued id.

Take care and have a great cruise.
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I have heard that some cruisers take a copy of their passports onshore with them. I have stopped at some ports that want you to have a picture ID, then I took my drivers license, but it was never asked for. Always leave actual passport in the cabin safe during the cruise.
I take a copy of my passport with me onshore.
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun64 View Post
We are going to San Juan April 2013. Would they accept any other identification if you don't have a passport? I have a passport but my granddaughter does not. My son could not get one for her because her mom is out of the pic and they still have joint custody. That was not acceptable and they wouldn't issue one to her.

Thanks.
Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. If a U.S. citizen, you don't even need a passport to fly to/from there and the mainland.
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Admiral

I always leave my passport in the safe on the ship. If needed, I think ship security could retrieve. I know they can open the safe.

The only port I have taken my passport with me was St Petersburg, Russia, where it is required by law to do so.