Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Montego Bay & Grand Cayman

We are sailing on August 5th & going to Cozumel, Montego Bay, & Grand Cayman. We already know what we're doing in Cozumel. However, I'm not sure on what to do in the other places. We've been to Montego Bay once & had a horrible experience. Can anyone tell me something fun to do here? We've also been to Grand Cayman once you & went swimming with the sting rays. It was fun, but we would like to do something different this time. Any suggestions would be great!
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Anyone ever use the jamaicaforaday site to purchase all inclusive trip to sandals or sunset beach resort?
Old July 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM
First Mate

The AI Sunset Beach in Montego Bay is great.
Old July 27th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

If you like a little adventure, try the zipline in MoBay. I love the Sandals resorts in Jamaica. A couple can get a day pass for a resort close to the pier. Transportation is on your own.
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Admiral

I have to admit that Montego Bay is not my favorite port....(not crazy about Ocho either but at least you can walk to Island Village from the ship and live to tell about it)....

I would only do excursions through the ship OR through a private operator that comes highly recommended...and I mean HIGHLY recommended.

I do not have any plans to ever go back there...but IF we get on a future cruise that is one of the stops....we will stay on the ship and make it a "port day at sea".....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 27th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4acruise View Post
The AI Sunset Beach in Montego Bay is great.
+1 and has decent snorkeling

Old July 27th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have to agree with the zip line in Jamaica, it was truly a lot of fun, a fairly decent ride from the port. There is absolutely nothing to do at the port, so good idea to take any excursion from there...

Grand Cayman also has a nice turtle farm...

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 29th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Familiar Face

Depending on what you like to do.

We normally take the bus/taxi (only JUTA) outside the port to the hip strip for $5 a person. Have lunch at Margaritaville and the walk to Doc's cave beach. I think it cost like $5 to get in and then you can rent chairs, unbrellas and even snorkel gear, the snorkeling isn't the best but it's ok if you go out at the end of the pier thingy. If you have your own I suggest bringing that. Although in July when we went the kids had such a blast on all the water toys at Margaritaville we never left there.

I personally like MOBay and have never felt unsafe there. Maybe it's cause I grew up in worse neighborhoods here in the states or as my Jamaican neighbor says they sense the crazy in me and let me be

Sweet
loves to cruise!

Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default New things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgowens234 View Post
We are sailing on August 5th & going to Cozumel, Montego Bay, & Grand Cayman. We already know what we're doing in Cozumel. However, I'm not sure on what to do in the other places. We've been to Montego Bay once & had a horrible experience. Can anyone tell me something fun to do here? We've also been to Grand Cayman once you & went swimming with the sting rays. It was fun, but we would like to do something different this time. Any suggestions would be great!
A New thing to do in Grand Cayman. Camana Bay has a New Obsevation Tower (and it's free). Shops, resaurants, and a 360 degree view of the Island and great view of 7 mile beach. Check out the web site.
The Observation Tower Camana Bay
I hope Ernesto does not show up where your going. Have a great Cruise. Ed
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

How do you get there from the pier, is it walking distance?

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Camana Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
How do you get there from the pier, is it walking distance?
We took the local bus I think is was 4 miles. $2.50 per person each way.
It's on the road the heads to 7 mile beach. We saw it Last November. When you find the Tower take the Elevator to the top and on the way down check out the tile Mosaic sealife mural going all the way to the bottom. Each tile is the size of a finger nail. Really cool. Also it's great to find something to do that is free. Unlike some of the shop owners who try to get you to enter your store saying "Almost Free" Ed
Old August 11th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Just came back from same cruise/ports:

Cayman: Swim With The Dolphins - This is the best excursion ever!

Montego Bay: climb Dunns River Falls - Great experience

A word of caution: do not buy anything from Diamond International or Tanzanite Internatonal in Cozumel. You will surely regret it!