CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   3 passengers missing in Jamaica, from a Carnival ship (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/390887-3-passengers-missing-jamaica-carnival-ship.html)

Trip July 27th, 2012 07:57 PM

3 passengers missing in Jamaica, from a Carnival ship

Let's hope this story has a happy ending.
Three Carnival cruise ship passengers missing in Jamaica - USATODAY.com

lhp July 27th, 2012 08:02 PM

I too hope for a good outcome but my opinion of Montego Bay is that things do not look good.

zydecocruiser July 27th, 2012 09:11 PM

Most crime against tourists in Jamaica is petty stuff.

ruthlessboss July 27th, 2012 09:29 PM

They were found in some parish unharmed. They are being questioned of why they didn't let anyone know anything.

Waiting4acruise July 27th, 2012 10:05 PM

Great news.

zydecocruiser July 27th, 2012 10:08 PM

Found at a Jamaica beach villa at Discovery Bay.

They had taken all of their stuff off of the ship.

The cruise ends tomorrow.

Sounds to me like they had planned all along to extend their vacation.

Me thinks they are guilty of violating the PSVA so probably owe some money.

aerospace July 27th, 2012 10:16 PM

Nobody noticed them taking a bunch of luggage off in the port of call? Seems like carnival would simply review video of the departure area when they swiped their cards and see the luggage...

Not that they are at fault, carnival is not responsible if you don't make it back but I doubt they cared much. Unless of course their credit card didn't go through and had left the ship already lol.

Trip July 27th, 2012 10:21 PM

Glad they are ok, but, for crying out loud!~! They were obviously trying to get off there, without going home, and nobody questioned passengers carrying off luggage?

zydecocruiser July 27th, 2012 10:28 PM

Some people can pack light. I am not one of those people.

BigMac July 27th, 2012 10:41 PM

On my very first cruise this was my dads plan.
We had only packed enough for one carry on and were going to get off and spend 3 days in Jamaica and fly back.
Unfortunelty the port was closed due to wind so we went fishing in Mexico.

zydecocruiser July 27th, 2012 10:52 PM

Now they are spending some of their vacation time talking with police and I suppose could be booted from the country.

aerospace July 27th, 2012 11:03 PM

Wonder if they would have to somehow register considering they entered the country as a day pass and decided to stay?

Trip July 27th, 2012 11:11 PM

I bet they are wishing like hell, they didn't do this,and Carnival's head must be spinning!

Snoozeman July 27th, 2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerospace (Post 1440211)
Wonder if they would have to somehow register considering they entered the country as a day pass and decided to stay?

Yes, this is exactly what they have done.:rolleyes:

Donna July 28th, 2012 07:38 AM

Wow, can't believe what some people will do?

Dhill July 28th, 2012 12:13 PM

Not being very well traveled I have a few questions,First if you flew in would you need a passport? Secound if you do need a passport to fly in and just stayed after getting off the ship could they charge you with entering the Country illegaly? And my last Question if you deceided to stay afer getting off the ship do you have to report that your staying with someone?:)

zydecocruiser July 28th, 2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhill (Post 1440247)
Not being very well traveled I have a few questions,First if you flew in would you need a passport? Secound if you do need a passport to fly in and just stayed after getting off the ship could they charge you with entering the Country illegaly? And my last Question if you deceided to stay afer getting off the ship do you have to report that your staying with someone?:)

They would have to have passports to fly from Jamaica back to the US.

I'm not sure about the Jamaican laws regarding the other questions.

They definitely broke the US PSVA law so that should be a $300pp fine.

OKGIRL July 28th, 2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1440249)
They would have to have passports to fly from Jamaica back to the US.

I'm not sure about the Jamaican laws regarding the other questions.

They definitely broke the US PSVA law so that should be a $300pp fine.

I thought the PSVA only deals with debarkation in US ports?

Paul Motter July 28th, 2012 01:05 PM

I understand why Jamaica would be upset - but I don't understand how they broke the PVSA act. That only concerns transporting passengers between two US ports of call.

Did they have passports? If not, then the WHTI says they were on a closed loop cruise and so they were required to return to the same US port from whence they departed (but that is not PVSA).

Assuming they did have passports, then the law they broke was Jamaica law requiring them to "check in" with local authorities.

Frankly, I don't see why Jamaica would object to people getting off a cruise and staying a few days - as long as they knew about them.

zydecocruiser July 28th, 2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1440255)
I understand why Jamaica would be upset - but I don't understand how they broke the PVSA act. That only concerns transporting passengers between two US ports of call.

Did they have passports? If not, then the WHTI says they were on a closed loop cruise and so they were required to return to the same US port from whence they departed (but that is not PVSA).

Assuming they did have passports, then the law they broke was Jamaica law requiring them to "check in" with local authorities.

Frankly, I don't see why Jamaica would object to people getting off a cruise and staying a few days - as long as they knew about them.

Actually you're right. Not sure what I was thinking, but it stuck in my head and I didn't think about it again until now.

Nana123 July 28th, 2012 05:44 PM

One of the requirements for entering Jamaica in addition to a valid passport is that you must be in possession of a round trip airline or return airline line ticket out of the country. Unless they had return tickets, they may have some explaining to do. These are listed on the requirements page of the Jamaican Counsel

Trip July 28th, 2012 05:48 PM

I wonder what type of "guidance" they got with this fric & frac escapade.:rolleyes:

Paul Motter July 28th, 2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1440259)
Actually you're right. Not sure what I was thinking, but it stuck in my head and I didn't think about it again until now.

It's normal that your mind would go there - because the PVSA is basically designed to make sure people do not use cruise ships (foriegn carriers) as a means of transportation.