Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Question - Carnival Elation, Balcony Cabin

I'm booking a first cruise this week and from the price quotes my TA gave me I've decided on the balcony cabin. When I was reading on some of the sites, it says that some of these cabins have an obstructed view. What does that mean? I've looked at the deck plans and can't tell much about it since I've never been on a cruise. Where is the best place for a balcony cabin on the Elation? I really want this to be a super experience for me and my two adult daughters so would like to kind of know what I'm talking about when I meet with my TA this week.
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Go here: Carnival Elation Cruises | Elation Cruise Ship | Carnival Cruise Line

And look at deck 11. You will see some of the veranda staterooms (the ones in Orange) have lifeboats outside of them. Usually that is what is meant by an obstructed view; lifeboats.

Old July 29th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Admiral

I also wanted to point out that on the Elation... there are no "standard" balconies like on other ships.

The Elation had not had the standard balcony cabins added (like other Fantasy class ships)....so it is my understanding that the only way to get a balcony on the Elation is to book a Junior Suite or a Suite.

Other ships have "balconies" cabins and while they do cost more than an Interior or Oceanview....they are not priced like some kind of suite.

Ships larger than a Fantasy class all have standard baconies.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 29th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks, Paul. That's a different type of deck view than I was looking at. This definitely tells me more. I'm not sure what the one is she priced for me because she just called it a Balcony Cabin. On another quote for the same ship but another cruise she called it a Jr. Suite. All I know is the Balcony Cabin went up quite a bit from the window cabin. I guess I'll know more this week but I sure appreciate the help. Now at least I know what to ask about.

Last edited by fayrita; July 29th, 2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old July 29th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes - it is important to realize that is one of the oldest and least upgraded ships in the entire Carnival fleet. There is only one deck of balcony cabins and it is towrds the top of the ship. They are not very big verandas, either.

Going on a newer Carnival ship would be an entrely different experience.

Old July 29th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayrita View Post
Thanks, Paul. That's a different type of deck view than I was looking at. This definitely tells me more. I'm not sure what the one is she priced for me because she just called it a Balcony Cabin. On another quote for the same ship but another cruise she called it a Jr. Suite. All I know is the Balcony Cabin went up quite a bit from the window cabin. I guess I'll know more this week but I sure appreciate the help. Now at least I know what to ask about.

That is why I wanted to mention that on this ship...it is a Jr Suite.

I did not want you to think that all the ships have this big a price jump over Oceanview (window) cabins.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I can't thank you enough. This could be really overwhelming without having someone to ask all the questions to and I'm really glad I found this site before booking. I would love to go on one of the newer ships but I'm having to be budget minded for this first one since I'm treating my daughters. New Orleans is close enough for us to drive to without the expense of air fare. None of us have ever been on a cruise so we won't know the difference between the newer ships and the older ones. The Elation will probably seem amazing to us.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Oh myyyyyyy.....I'm so excited!!!!! Our cruise is now booked!!!!! Our room number is V-10 on the Verandah Deck! I sure hope these next 8 months go by fast! I'm doing a happy dance!!!
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

We always do the happy dance - its a cruiser tradition.

We used to do it when the documents arrived - but they don't send documents anymore - you have to print them up from the Web.

So, I guess doing when you make the booking makes as much sense as anything.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayrita View Post
I can't thank you enough. This could be really overwhelming without having someone to ask all the questions to and I'm really glad I found this site before booking. I would love to go on one of the newer ships but I'm having to be budget minded for this first one since I'm treating my daughters. New Orleans is close enough for us to drive to without the expense of air fare. None of us have ever been on a cruise so we won't know the difference between the newer ships and the older ones. The Elation will probably seem amazing to us.
Thank you for coming in - we are glad to help.

By the way - it totally makes sense to drive when you have three people. I am glad you have a port close enough to you to offer that option.

Of course, there are also other ships sailing out of NOLA - so next time you can try a different ship.

But you will still have a great cruise, I am sure. The first cruise is always so full of discovery it's like you will still be assimilating what you experienced after you come home.