CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival to Offer Early Boarding for $49.95 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/391137-carnival-offer-early-boarding-49-95-a.html)

Paul Motter August 7th, 2012 03:09 PM

Carnival to Offer Early Boarding for $49.95

Carnival to Offer Early Boarding for $49.95
by Paul Motter

A new program will allow guests early boarding, instant access to staterooms and luggage waiting for them upon arrival

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/CM/home/carndream.jpg
Getting ahead of the 4500 people this ship can hold is a real advantage
Carnival Cruise Line is testing a new program where all occupants of a given stateroom can board the cruise ship first, have instant access to their staterooms upon boarding and find their hand-delivered luggage already waiting for them. The program, called "Faster to the Fun," costs $49.95, and only needs to be booked by one occupant of the stateroom to give the same access to everyone staying in the same room.

Trip August 7th, 2012 04:27 PM

While I have not really ever had any issues, with boarding, and all that goes along with it, ie, baggage and cabins....I would absolutely factor this fee into my cruise cost.

BigMac August 7th, 2012 05:22 PM

If you already have priority bording would this still get you on faster?
I ask becasue I booked the vista and that get me priority boarding. It may be worth the extra 50 to get my room right away and not have to truck my carry on around.

zydecocruiser August 7th, 2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac (Post 1441461)

No.

I think weddings will still have priority over everyone.

lhp August 7th, 2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac (Post 1441461)
I ask becasue I booked the vista and that get me priority boarding. It may be worth the extra 50 to get my room right away and not have to truck my carry on around.

This "controlled capacity" will be added to your Security line at the door and then (supposedly) split off after Security to a separate line from the regular folks....while Platinum/Diamond still go to the VIP office.

It will be interesting to see if Carnival stops the people from exploiting the loophole where 1 cabin has a VIP in it and brings the other cabins along by putting them all on their credit card....and then going to Guest Services once they get on the ship and taking them off that one credit card.

AND folks who (in the past) got VIP Debark before they booked a flight before noon...

now that Carnival is charging for these things....will they still allow people to get them for free???

lhp August 7th, 2012 07:11 PM

Btw, it certainly makes all those folks who were "close" to Platinum and booking cruises to reach that goal befoe 2013 look foolish.....

much cheaper to just pay $49.95.....

zydecocruiser August 7th, 2012 08:21 PM

I think would be silly to put others on your credit card so they could avoid standing in line only to stand in a longer line at Guest Services to change the billing.

Lakers Fan August 7th, 2012 08:23 PM

I always arrive about 2-3 hours before anyone else when cruising and aside from the suite guests I have been able to board immediately after .Therefore I would not spend additional money to do so.

averrette August 8th, 2012 02:07 PM

Early Embarkation

We had VIP and my sister and her family didn't. They were in all lines about 2 secons behind us and we didn't even have time to buy a drink once on board before they came on. I don't think it would be worth the extra money. As far as VIP, it gets alot more than boarding first :)

Phil&Liz August 8th, 2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1441486)
I think would be silly to put others on your credit card so they could avoid standing in line only to stand in a longer line at Guest Services to change the billing.

But with the new "benefit" they get their own line.

zydecocruiser August 8th, 2012 09:23 PM

They get to share the Platinum line and can whine along with them about how long the line is. rofl

briguy August 9th, 2012 03:00 PM

Any snafus should be discovered in the test phase. But to me this is just another ploy to make more money and water down the Platinum VIP program. Best thing to do? Arrive at the pier at 2pm. You will check in quick, board right away and have access to your cabin immediately. Save the $50 and spend it elsewhere. Problem solved.

lhp August 9th, 2012 03:50 PM

Btw, I sent John a post this morning and he is forwarding it to the beards about the VIP loophole (which would become a F2F loophole)....

I was thinking folks were doing this when they filled out their Fun Pass....

but apparently they just walk up to the Carnival Rep and say " these folks are on my credit card" and they walk right on into the VIP lounge ....

IF this is the case, then there is no way they could control the capacity of the F2F....

because currently everyone on the same credit card must check in together.

Ron August 9th, 2012 10:40 PM

After 20 odd cruises with Carnival, I feel the Platinum status has been watered down to the point that it really means nothing to me and personally, I've about had it with them anyway.
I agree with BRIGUY--Arrive about 2, miss the crowd, get aboard and carry on about your business. Used to the platinum status was worth a little something , like getting aboard early, early debarkation, etc. Then they started the self-debarkation, which when mixing all that hoard in with the Platinum members, who were supposed to be first off, became a fiasco in itself.
The last few times I've been on Carnival, I just relax, let everyone else do the head long rush to get down to the disembarking deck, just to stand in a long line and shuffle forward a few feet at a time. I wait til it's all over, stroll off and go on my way.
Would I pay extra to get aboard first?? For exactly what? No way--I'm double Platinum , if there is such a thing so I could board " early " along with all those who will be paying to be first so I'd rather keep my money in my pocket and keep out of the crowd.
Personally, I think it's another way Carnival has found to rake in a fair amount of money from people who don't know any better. But, if it catches on, you can bet the other lines will have the same thing going within a few weeks or months at the most. What next--paying a premium to get off early ??
How long will it be until some joker comes knocking on your cabin door the last morning asking if he can drop his bags in your cabin while you hurriedly
dress and get ready to get out so he can have it ?? LOL LOL

lhp August 10th, 2012 03:11 PM

I hear you Ron.

I will have to say that after the Milestone fiasco a few months ago...

Carnival is sending a pretty clear message that they do not want loyal customers....they want newbies that do not cost them any money.

lhp August 10th, 2012 03:17 PM

I was just thinking....

now you are going to have to have a separate seating area for weddings (who go first)

a separate seating area for VIP (who go second)

a separate seating area for F2F (who go third)

a separate seating area for handicapped....(no telling when they will go..usually after VIP)

and an area for the rest of the folks.

Miami will be able to pull this off.....but smaller ports like New Orleans...

:confused:

misterchatter August 10th, 2012 04:29 PM

My first post on this board, have quite a few on the "other board". I ended up paying about $14,000 for most of these perks I could of now got for $49.95. I AM AN IDIOT for thinking Carnival really cares about loyalty!:(

green_rd August 10th, 2012 05:16 PM

I have paid $14K for $14K worth of cruises. Not some promised perk on the horizon.

misterchatter August 10th, 2012 05:40 PM

And for another $14K we will throw in UNLIMITED LAUNDRY!!!;)

Ron August 10th, 2012 09:52 PM

Renting a lounge chair by the day, or hour at the pool is going to be next--that's the way they will solve the " chair hog " fiasco.
Payment will be based, of course, on location ! ;) ;)

lhp August 11th, 2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1441851)
I have paid $14K for $14K worth of cruises. Not some promised perk on the horizon.

Actually, I understand that folks think companies should keep the commitments they make.

This was the advertisement for the original Loyalty Program when it came out years ago.

Carnival's New Loyalty Program:

You Take Care of Us, We Take Care of You

Sailed with Carnival Cruises Lines (tel. 800/327-9501; www.carnival.com) ten or more times?

If so, you're now eligible for the perks of its new Carnival Concierge Club, which rewards loyal customers with various incentives to keep you coming back.

"Carnival is committed to the highest standards of guest service and hospitality," said Carnival president and CEO Bob Dickinson in announcing the program. "The new 'Carnival Concierge Club' is just one more way of showing our appreciation to our loyal past guests."

Barryn514 August 22nd, 2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Btw, it certainly makes all those folks who were "close" to Platinum and booking cruises to reach that goal befoe 2013 look foolish...
Like others, why have I spent so much time with CCL and try to get to Platinum and could have done it for $49.95. Platinum does offer a few other things but for how long before they offer that to people who want to spend a few extra dollars.

zydecocruiser August 23rd, 2012 03:21 PM

The best platinum benefit is the wash and fold laundry, which has always been for sale.

All of the programs have always been subject to change and still are.

Barryn514 August 23rd, 2012 04:32 PM

IMHO, they don't offer much for being a loyal repeat customer. I spend money in Vegas but am treated very well and get things that other cannot buy!

bulldogsrus August 24th, 2012 06:10 PM

Wont stop me from sailing Carnival but should be exclusive to Platinum and above.

Will September 3rd, 2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1443300)
The best platinum benefit is the wash and fold laundry, which has always been for sale.

All of the programs have always been subject to change and still are.

But those expensive binoculars come in so handy...:roll::rolleyes: