CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   More Changes At Carnival.... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/391828-more-changes-carnival.html)

lhp September 13th, 2012 04:31 PM

More Changes At Carnival....
 
Unfortunately, several really great people (one of whom we have had the privilege of getting to know) were let go on Monday to make room for this guy....

and while he has a boat load of accomplishments....

I do not see any "cruise specific" experience....

hope this is not yet another Carnival mistake....



Adrian Fischer has been named vice president, entertainment for Carnival Cruise Lines. Fischer will oversee all aspects of entertainment and programming for Carnival’s 23-ship fleet, including production shows, live musical performances, comedy clubs, guest activities, cruise directors/entertainment staff and youth programs. He will also focus on developing new entertainment concepts for the brand.


Fischer will lead the roll-out of new entertainment programming recently announced as part of Carnival’s Fun Ship 2.0 initiative. These include Playlist Productions, which combines live performances with high-tech LED effects; the Punchliner Comedy Clubs Presented by George Lopez, who will serve as the line’s curator of comedy and as a consultant in the vetting and hiring of comedic talent; and Hasbro, The Game Show, featuring larger-than-life stage adaptations of the brand’s popular and iconic board games. Fischer will report to Mark Tamis, Carnival’s senior vice president of guest operations.


Prior to joining Carnival, Fischer served as vice president, entertainment for Sea World Parks and Entertainment where he oversaw the production and operation of all shows and special events at the company’s San Diego park. He also spent three years as senior vice president, live productions with the Blue Man Group, responsible for artistic, casting, production and general management for the group’s 10 theatrical shows worldwide.


Fischer’s experience also includes nine years with the Walt Disney Company, serving as director of entertainment operations for the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif., and producer/manager for the company’s entertainment programming in California, Florida, Singapore and Taiwan. He also spent 14 years in the music and theatre industry, working at the San Francisco Opera, Theatre Calgary, the Sydney Opera House and the Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera, holding a variety of managerial and technical production positions.


Fischer earned a master of fine arts from the University of California Los Angeles, and a bachelor’s degree from the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada.

lhp September 13th, 2012 05:08 PM

Btw, this is a shake up from "within".....

Trip September 13th, 2012 05:45 PM

Sounds like he has a resume to be proud of, and, should be a good fit...It's quicker I think, to get cruise experience under one's belt,with help of the crew, and then build on all his years of varied experience this man has. I wish him well.

Mike M September 13th, 2012 05:59 PM

It looks like he has a great background in entertainment and that's what he was hired for. I don't think "cruise" experience carries much weight in this position. He's there to revamp the entertainment and that's what he has the ability to do. It really doesn't matter if he knows stern from aft or port from starboard as long as he delivers a good entertainment product.

Take care,
Mike

green_rd September 13th, 2012 06:07 PM

Look forward to seeing what he brings to the table.

There certainly are some unique "challenges" to entertainment at sea, can't just build a bigger theater to hold the new production, moving stage, limited space, etc.

lhp September 13th, 2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1446254)
It looks like he has a great background in entertainment and that's what he was hired for. I don't think "cruise" experience carries much weight in this position. He's there to revamp the entertainment and that's what he has the ability to do. It really doesn't matter if he knows stern from aft or port from starboard as long as he delivers a good entertainment product.

Take care,
Mike


I would think that cruise experience would be very important....since he is now the boss of the cruise directors....

it takes a rare breed to be a cruise director and an even rarer breed to be able to spot and cultivate that kind of talent.

lhp September 13th, 2012 07:36 PM

I always wonder about folks that hop around that much.....

I mean...if he was doing such a wonderful job for Sea World (or Disney)...
why isn't he still there???

Kuki September 13th, 2012 07:39 PM

Did Chris Pirdeux (not sure if that's spelt right) get booted?

Donna September 13th, 2012 08:00 PM

I too am wondering who left or was asked to leave??? True, you always have to wonder why they leave their prior job? Only time will tell what he has up his sleeve for entertainment.

green_rd September 14th, 2012 08:43 AM

Often very high performers are lured away by competing companies. They are almost like top athletes. Of course other times people run from job to job for less savory reasons.

Mike M September 14th, 2012 10:19 AM

It all comes down to delivering an entertainment product for the guests. The cruise part of delivering entertainment is minimal.

The Cruise Directors have defined ship duties, such as announcements, life boat drills, emergency communications, and a few other "cruise related duties", otherwise their job is to deliver entertainment, activities and resolve some guest issues. These are the same as it would be at a theme park, Vegas resort or other venue.

All venues have issues and limitations of stage size and theater layouts. This job will be to develop the concepts and strategies to deliver current and new entertainment to the guests. The tactics and delivery will be worked out with this person and those who work with and for him. Just like the Captain of the ship; he doesn't drive the ship but he sets the course.

I have no issue with someone who has a multi job/company track record. Unless they have not stayed at each job or company for more than a year. In my career I worked for five different companies in 26 years. In all but one of those moves I was recruited to the new position and did not actively seek it.

Even if someone is with a company for only two or three years they can change the direction and implement new strategies that can then be used for years after they have left.

It is always disconcerting when the "old guard" changes but Carnival is changing and new people and ideas will be required to fulfill that change. Will it be better? We'll have to wait and see.

Take care,
Mike

zydecocruiser September 14th, 2012 03:55 PM

This is not a new change:

Adrian Fischer Appointed to Vice President, Entertainment at Carnival Cruise Lines | Travel Agent Central

Fischer has been in the position for some time.

I'm not sure about Chris P., but he was certainly on the Magic last March.

lhp September 15th, 2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1446264)
Did Chris Pirdeux (not sure if that's spelt right) get booted?


Yes it was Chris Prideaux

lhp September 15th, 2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1446334)
It all comes down to delivering an entertainment product for the guests. The cruise part of delivering entertainment is minimal.

The Cruise Directors have defined ship duties, such as announcements, life boat drills, emergency communications, and a few other "cruise related duties", otherwise their job is to deliver entertainment, activities and resolve some guest issues. These are the same as it would be at a theme park, Vegas resort or other venue.

All venues have issues and limitations of stage size and theater layouts. This job will be to develop the concepts and strategies to deliver current and new entertainment to the guests. The tactics and delivery will be worked out with this person and those who work with and for him. Just like the Captain of the ship; he doesn't drive the ship but he sets the course.

I have no issue with someone who has a multi job/company track record. Unless they have not stayed at each job or company for more than a year. In my career I worked for five different companies in 26 years. In all but one of those moves I was recruited to the new position and did not actively seek it.

Even if someone is with a company for only two or three years they can change the direction and implement new strategies that can then be used for years after they have left.

It is always disconcerting when the "old guard" changes but Carnival is changing and new people and ideas will be required to fulfill that change. Will it be better? We'll have to wait and see.

Take care,
Mike


I disagree that it has little to do with the cruise component.

As someone earlier pointed out, there are limitations on a cruise ship that are not faced on land.

Cruise Directors are the face of the company at all times. The list of "duties" you shared is only a very small part of what they do.....

they are the "Mom or Dad" for 1,000s of crew members.
they are where the "buck stops" for thousands of passengers if something goes wrong.
they are the ONE person that is the ultimate :go to guy/gal: on that ship ....

I do not know how many amusement parks that had one individual to sit and talk with thousands of passengers when 9/11 happened....

or deal with the outrage of unhappy passengers if a hurricane wreaks havoc on a ship casuing it not to return for days (and then to a completely different port)....

I don't think just anyone would want to tell 3,000 people that while they left from Galveston...they will be docking in New Orleans...and btw, you car is probaby a floating ornament as we speak.

So yes, there are many unique things to cruising....

We certainly wish the new guy the best....but part of me can not help but be concerned....after seeing the changes Cahill has made in the past.

Mike M September 15th, 2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhp (Post 1446479)
I disagree that it has little to do with the cruise component.

As someone earlier pointed out, there are limitations on a cruise ship that are not faced on land.

Cruise Directors are the face of the company at all times. The list of "duties" you shared is only a very small part of what they do.....

they are the "Mom or Dad" for 1,000s of crew members.
they are where the "buck stops" for thousands of passengers if something goes wrong.
they are the ONE person that is the ultimate :go to guy/gal: on that ship ....

I do not know how many amusement parks that had one individual to sit and talk with thousands of passengers when 9/11 happened....

or deal with the outrage of unhappy passengers if a hurricane wreaks havoc on a ship casuing it not to return for days (and then to a completely different port)....

I don't think just anyone would want to tell 3,000 people that while they left from Galveston...they will be docking in New Orleans...and btw, you car is probaby a floating ornament as we speak.

So yes, there are many unique things to cruising....

We certainly wish the new guy the best....but part of me can not help but be concerned....after seeing the changes Cahill has made in the past.

I have to disagree where the Cruise Director is the "Buck Stops Here" guy for the passengers. The Hotel Director is the "Buck Stops Here" guy when dealing with hotel issues no matter what some CD's blog says.

The Cruise Directors will still have their assigned duties and that will not change.

Take care,
Mike

Phil&Liz September 16th, 2012 12:04 PM

We are disappointed at losing Chris Prideaux. We, too, came to know him well and found him to be uniquely qualified and a genuinne person.

It will remain to be seen if these changes will be for the better. As you said Linda, this came from "within" so perhaps there are issues we are not privy to.

The new guy doesn't seem too much into the social media route. He has a FB page that he does not seem to respond to. When he was announced last year as the VP of Entertainment, contact was attempted on October 27, 2011.
Nothing. No reponse. Follow-up on November 28, 2011. Nothing.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1