CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival Magic Problems? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/392291-carnival-magic-problems.html)

mehawk October 7th, 2012 07:38 AM

Carnival Magic Problems?

As I watched the Magic come in this morning, I noticed a tug at the stern and I recalled thruster problems back last year as she moored at the different ports. Does anybody know if she is having those problems again? :(

ScurvyDog October 7th, 2012 08:28 AM

Michael

I don't think they will be completely fixed until the ship goes to drydock.

lhp October 7th, 2012 12:46 PM

It is my understanding that she has been sailing on US Coast Guard waivers for mechanical issues every since she ported in Texas.

Guess that they will handle this at drydock.

Phil&Liz October 7th, 2012 02:25 PM

Wonder if also the winds were a factor?

We will see how she's doing in 3 weeks. We have the aft balcony so the tug should be visible as it was this past March.

Waiting4acruise October 8th, 2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehawk (Post 1449773)
As I watched the Magic come in this morning, I noticed a tug at the stern and I recalled thruster problems back last year as she moored at the different ports. Does anybody know if she is having those problems again? :(

The tugs could be due to the high winds in Galveston.

zydecocruiser October 8th, 2012 11:19 PM

Was on the Bloggers cruise in March and we made all ports without issue.

Our leaving the Galveston area was due to an injured passenger.

ready2gonow October 9th, 2012 09:19 AM

Our last cruise on the Magic was in March, and we had an aft balcony. When we docked at the ports, there wasn't an issue, but when we docked in Galveston, they used a tug. I specifically paid attention to the winds and the winds were calm that day. I'm sure there is still a problem.

Snoozeman October 9th, 2012 12:35 PM

The USCG requires them to use a tug in Galveston.

They still are operating on a temporary USCG approval basis and have to follow the suggestions or requirements very carefully as they have no lee way if ANYTHING else were to go wrong.

It's a combination of the crappy thruster situation AND the fact that they have lost one engine. Carnival doesn't want to talk about it!:rolleyes:

zydecocruiser October 9th, 2012 07:36 PM

a little bird told you?

Snoozeman October 9th, 2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1450093)
a little bird told you?

Yup, a little bird in uniform.

BTW--A tug pulled us in on the bloggers cruise. It was right outside my aft balcony. I'm sure 95% of pax never notice.

Phil&Liz October 9th, 2012 09:43 PM

Yep. All of us were on the aft balconies that early morning. We arrived at the turn around point and the tug was below. I was up and out on the bacony watching.

lhp October 20th, 2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1450102)
Yup, a little bird in uniform.

BTW--A tug pulled us in on the bloggers cruise. It was right outside my aft balcony. I'm sure 95% of pax never notice.

A little bird and the fact that you were ON the ship when it happened.....

tobytovar October 25th, 2012 05:07 PM

Magic

My daughter just got back last Sunday the 21st and said they had no problems. They did do a 180 heading back to Key West after they left due to a medical emergency and the coast guard sent a cutter to transfer the patient but besides that she said they had smooth sailing. It may be on a bow or aft thruster.