CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Port Canaveral (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/392333-port-canaveral.html)

BrwnEyedGirl October 8th, 2012 11:44 PM

Port Canaveral

We are cruising in April 2013...just looking for advise. We don't want to tote all our wine or alcohol from California...Any place near the port to buy our stuff before we board? Decent wine? Tnx

cruise planner October 9th, 2012 01:03 AM

No place close to walk to. And if you're taking the Carnival shuttle, you're out of luck. But if you're renting a car and driving from the Orlando Airport to the port, which is what I suggest, especially if you have more than two people, then there's alot of options.

Pete

aerospace October 9th, 2012 01:34 AM

How about in the airport? Your not going international so it's not duty free but still probably better than on the ship for $10/glass. Alternatively if your taking taxi tell your driver to stop at a liquor store I'm sure they know where to go. :)

cruise planner October 9th, 2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerospace (Post 1450009)
How about in the airport? Your not going international so it's not duty free but still probably better than on the ship for $10/glass. Alternatively if your taking taxi tell your driver to stop at a liquor store I'm sure they know where to go. :)

Good idea about the airport, but you really don't want to get a taxi to the pier - VERY expensive - figure at least $100 - $125 each way.

We've rented a car for $35 each way, which allowed us alot more options and flexibility.

Pete

aerospace October 9th, 2012 10:59 PM

Depends on your arrival times I guess. If you fly in late it's faster to take a taxi. While a shuttle is cheaper it's 35/pp so if you have 4 people I can see a taxi being a viable option.

S.S.Oceanlover October 12th, 2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrwnEyedGirl (Post 1450000)
We are cruising in April 2013...just looking for advise. We don't want to tote all our wine or alcohol from California...Any place near the port to buy our stuff before we board? Decent wine? Tnx

I see you have cruised on CCL before but from the sound of your post I'm not sure if you are aware that you are only allowed to take 1 bottle of wine per person onboard and no other alcohol at all.

My apologies if i misinterpreted your intentions.

Bill

gbrad October 14th, 2012 09:05 PM

Are you flying in the same day?
If you are staying the night before, there are some liquor stores in Cocoa Beach on your way to the pier.
Now, as far as good wines, being as you are from CA, ...hrmmmm, LOL

Stone January 23rd, 2013 08:17 AM

You can only bring one bottle of wine per person. There are liquor stores on the way to the port (don‘t work on weekends). We made stop at Publix grocery store.

green_rd January 23rd, 2013 11:13 AM

In Florida look for the magic letters ABC

ob653 February 3rd, 2013 12:50 PM

I'm not a drinker...had gastric bypass so it takes less than a shot and I am sweating, beat red and the room spinning...however, if you want to get more on board, a friend from work found bladders that you can actually wear under clothing to get it through. The drinks are pretty darn expensive.

Also, I see you've been on a few cruises before, but a word for everyone...Duty Free is not always the way to go. My uncle put in an order for Johnny Walker figuring that it would be a big savings. I have no idea about prices on that stuff, but we picked him up 4 liters in Jamaica. It worked out to be the exact same price he pays in the states with the tax for a gallon when we did the math after we got home (of course the liters are more in the states). Customs also says 1 liter per adult. We had those 4 liters plus 2 750mL of rum that my wife got. We declared it and they did not charge us at all. I think they are looking for large volume and large ticket jewelry items.