CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Tell me about Rome excursion on Carnival (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/392480-tell-me-about-rome-excursion-carnival.html)

Sandar October 15th, 2012 07:15 PM

Tell me about Rome excursion on Carnival

If anyone has gone on a Rome excursion that included the Vatican, I'd like to hear about it. Wondering how much time was spent there and what would they let you see? Also, what other sight seeing was included in the excursion?

storybookcruises.com October 16th, 2012 12:33 AM

I've not done this excursion, but I would definitely suggest looking at other options. Carnival's shore excursions are too pricey, too, structured, not always good, and too crowded. There are many other wonderful independent companies that do a great job, cost less, visit more places, spend more time, and are a whole lot less crowded.

Pete

Kuki October 16th, 2012 12:54 AM

The only problem with Rome is there's way too much to see! A good problem to have, but in the limited time you have on a one day visit, you definitely want to make the most of it.

That's why I agree with Pete. Much wiser to book an independant private tour, particularly if you want to do a Vatican tour.

Try and find another couple or two to bring down the costs, but do it regardless.

The crowds for tours of the Vatican are crazy most days. A good guide will pre-book your tour, and you'll walk right past blocks long lines to get in.

Whether with a private guide or a ship's tour the place is so crowded, the pace once inside is guided by the movement of the crowds.

After the Vatican tour, the cruise line tours eat a lot of time with a long stop for lunch. And lunch with a large group does take time; as does gathering up stragglers.

On a private tour you can get a good quick bite somewhere, and still have time for many more highlight sites, before heading back to the ship.

storybookcruises.com October 16th, 2012 01:15 AM

Kuki said it very well. The tours offered by the cruise line just waste too much time because they are always crowded.

We were in St. Petersburg, Russia and could have done the usual overcrowded 45 old people on a bus. But we chose to do a brand new Mercedes Benz van with 8 other people - just the 10 of us, so needless to say, we saw a lot more, did a lot more, and went a lot more places. Plus, they were in the museum with one tour guide trying to explain things to 45 people, while our tour guide only had to talk to 10 people. Oh, and I forgot to mention; we paid less!

But as Kuki said, if you plan to see the Vatican, you have to get someone who will pre-book your tickets and help you avoid the very long lines.

Pete

green_rd October 16th, 2012 09:33 AM

Just remember you are a long way from Rome when you get off the ship, be sure you include transfers in your tour.

We did the organized tour with Princess, we went down the "main drag" of the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's followed by a little time in St. Peter's Square. Not enough time in the museum, and we would have gone to the dome of St. Peter's with more time there.