Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default George Lopez?

For everyone that has been on Carnival lately...

I am really curious about the George Lopez connection. What did you see, hear or read about the comedian while onboard?

I have heard he does a video introduction to the show, plus the "comedy brunch" is branded as the "George Lopez Comedy Brunch"

What presence does George Lopez have in that brunch?

What presence at all by George Lopez (video, audio recordings, television, main theater - anything at all) did you see or hear? Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Will be interested in responses to Paul's question, we sail in 3 weeks.

George will be live on stage here in Indy next week, guess he is getting back to his roots.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old October 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Will be interested in responses to Paul's question, we sail in 3 weeks.

I will be interested in your comments when you get back. Have a great cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 20th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Actually, I have looked, and I have never seen a picture or any word of George being on a cruise ship - Carnival or otherwise. At the announcement by Carnival he said "I have never even been on a cruise ship, but I am going in December" but then there are no pictures or record of him having actually gone.

I have never heard anyone say they heard on a cruise, "this comedian was selected by George Lopez" - as far as I have heard most of the comedians have been the same ones who have worked for Carnival for years.

It's not a big deal. but I just wonder why anyone would care to promote someone's name who really isn't doing anything.
Old October 20th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Admiral

I am guessing that you will not see him mentioned a lot, except on ships that already have the Punchliner Comedy Brunch.

The Conquest last month and the Elation last week did not have this yet.

I am also guessing that the Breeze next month will....

personally, I think it was a waste of money to pay him millions when the Punchliner Comedy Club was already standing room only.

We have had at least one comedian (from Hollywood) that was new since this (so I am guessing he was "hand selected" by Lopez...and to be honest, he really was not that good.

He was out of his element at the family show. Now he may have been better at the adult show, but we do not do adult shows (except if Mutzie is onboard).

Anyone can cuss...that is not entertainment. And apparently the inability of him to be able to cuss threw him on his family show.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old October 20th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks for your answer - and please let us know what you see/hear on Breeze.
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:34 AM
Admiral

I read where his image is used on the ships to advertise the club. I recall reading one of John Heald's blogs about Lopez being onboard once. Perhaps I misread... however, I am not one of Lopez's fans... at all!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 21st, 2012, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

On the Breeze I remember seeing "George" introducing the comedy club and Punchliner's Brunch on tape on the in cabin TV.

At the comedy club the host would welcome people to the George Lopez......

For brunch there's was some reference (don't remember where) to the menu inspired by....

Unlike Guy's Burgers, no visible benefits of the association.

Plus I don't know how many people are in love with George Lopez"s comedy, so not quite sure his endorsement of any new comedians means anything to anyone.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 21st, 2012, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I'll be on the Carnival Magic again in two weeks, I'll see if anything has changed. I have not seen him in any promos on the Glory or Triumph in last few months.

I agree with several others, Geo Lopez has his fans, but he is not really liked by many Americans, especially women. Big mistake by Carnival.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
I'll be on the Carnival Magic again in two weeks, I'll see if anything has changed. I have not seen him in any promos on the Glory or Triumph in last few months.

I agree with several others, Geo Lopez has his fans, but he is not really liked by many Americans, especially women. Big mistake by Carnival.

Yes, for a company so set on saving money....they blew it on this one!!

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Got off Valor on Sunday. No mention of Sr. Lopez @ Punchliners and no brunch. Still traditional breakfast and lunch in the MDR. This may be because Valor has not had the other 2.0 updates - the grill is still the grill, etc.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Admiral

Why am I sensing hostility along political party lines here?

Or is this a Chris Prideaux blowback thing?
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

There is no politics here. Just that I was curious about the George Lopez affiliation.

In truth, it appears that Lopez has almost nothing to do with the Carnival people on a regular basis, and I cannot even find any evidence that he has ever even been on a cruise ship. Hence my questions.

He signed this deal right after his talk show was canceled, and he seemed a little desperate to make some news, but then I sensed that maybe he got a change of heart from the resulting publicity. "Lopez show canceled, now appearing on cruise ships." (then he was careful to say 'no, I'm not appearing on cruise ships, I'm working with Carnival as their new "curator of comedy...")

I am just a little curious about his sincerity in all of this.
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Zydeco,
No hostility here. Just observe and report. I am actually a GL fan so would have been fun to have seen some video opening bit on the TV or before the first Punchliners.

Old November 21st, 2012, 10:48 AM
Admiral

The comedy clubs are extremely popular but maybe I'll get to check out one of the shows. The in cabin promo might be possible.

I do like GL. Former CD Jorge Solano has also been involved.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

By the way - I saw a video where he is with John Heald in the NY City press conference, and he says he is going to take a cruise in the coming months (by the end of 2011).

But I went online and I see no record of him ever taking a cruise. I can find absolutely NO pictures of him on a cruise ship (you would expect at least one picture).

So, my gut says he has never been on a cruise. That doesn't mean he doesn't know comedy.

I enjoyed his TV talk show when I watched it (when it happened to come on, not that I made an effort) and I thought the writing was funny and he has talent.
Old December 1st, 2012, 02:12 PM
Familiar Face

George Lopez SUCKS! Carnival wasted lots of money on this fool..

[ed: edited for unrelated political comment - politics can only be discussed in our "open topics forum."]
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

are you Platinum with Carnival? Is that how you got your name?
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM
First Mate

Thumbs down Who Cares

With some of the comedians we have seen on Carnival, George should probably not associate his name with Carnival. And as George's name is diving in popularity, Carnival should probably not associate is't name with George. He is on a video screen and he does nothing for the show, he scamed Carnival.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Although I have never said it personally myself, I htink some of you are starting to get the same impression I got about Lopez.

I spent an hour trying to find any evidence that he has ever even been on a cruise ship - and i can't find any. I know he did a press party in New York City, along with Guy Fieri, and at that event he said he was going to take his first criuse later in 2012, but I can't find a single picture or new release that he ever did it.

So - my guess is that they have a loose connection if any at all. His given title was "director of comedy" for Carnival, but on the CCL web site they are advertising to hire a director of comedy.

That job description says "must work with the GLopez company in helping select talent" - but on its own that is a meaningless statement. To do what?
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:00 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
are you Platinum with Carnival? Is that how you got your name?
Yes and Princess.....But not why I chose the name....
Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Admiral

My goodness. Politics couldn't play a part in some attacking George, could they?

There was an audio introduction by George for the Comedy Brunch. Not sure about the actual comedy shows.

He certainly does have a connection onboard. I am 99% certain he was on at least one cruise, albeit not sure if the general cruiser knew it. I seem to recall someone telling me what the liquor bill was for the entourage.

Old December 4th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Not that much branding on Valor (yet) but it has not gone through Fun 2.0. We didn't even have the brunch.

Old December 4th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I said what I about George not being on a cruise because had e been it would have been for reasons of publicity. I have searches on Google news for any new items or pictures of him actually on a cruise and I cannot find them.

I also asked Carnival (PR dept) if he had been on board and go no confirmation that he had ever been.

No big deal, I am just curious that it would marketed like its such a big deal when in fact it doesn't seem as if there is any George Lopez personality on the ships at all except a few pre-recorded video clips.
Old December 8th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Just got off the Breeze last week....

At the Punchliner Brunch, you hear an audio of Lopez before the Punchliner Host introduces the Comedian....

At the Punchliner Comedy Club you watch a video clip before the Punchliner Host introduces the Comedican...

Again a total waste of money since the folks that are coming from "hollywood" (that I have heard) are the ones who are the LEAST funny.

And it isn't their fault... I only go to the family shows and they are just not geared to handle kids in the front row blowing snot bubbles.......

they are used to hollywood comedy clubs....period.

Again why spend 2 million dollars when the Punchliner Comedy Club was already standing room only???

Kim Harrison has brought better comedians to Carnival than Lopez....(Mutzie, Azeem) now THEY are real comedians...they should have paid HER the 2 million.

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Kim Harrison has brought better comedians to Carnival than Lopez....(Mutzie, Azeem) now THEY are real comedians...they should have paid HER the 2 million.
Out of curiousity - that is the first time I heard the "$2-million" figure. Is that how much that have (or are upposed to) pay George Lopez?

I haven't seen any figures for how muh the deal was worth to Lopez.
Old December 8th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Others are free to complain or even start their own cruise lines, but Carnival is standing behind George Lopez. They even uploaded a video today.

The Punchliner Comedy Club Presented by George Lopez - YouTube

Carnival is branding and I think it is working. Just off the Conquest and the ship felt more alive as did the crew and passengers. I like it
Old December 8th, 2012, 03:42 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
Just got off the Breeze last week....

At the Punchliner Brunch, you hear an audio of Lopez before the Punchliner Host introduces the Comedian....

At the Punchliner Comedy Club you watch a video clip before the Punchliner Host introduces the Comedican...

Again a total waste of money since the folks that are coming from "hollywood" (that I have heard) are the ones who are the LEAST funny.

And it isn't their fault... I only go to the family shows and they are just not geared to handle kids in the front row blowing snot bubbles.......

they are used to hollywood comedy clubs....period.

Again why spend 2 million dollars when the Punchliner Comedy Club was already standing room only???

I have seen Kim Harrison on 2 cruises. She is great.
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Out of curiousity - that is the first time I heard the "$2-million" figure. Is that how much that have (or are upposed to) pay George Lopez?

This is a figure I was told...but I have no documentation and this did not come from Corporate.

Personally, I am HOPING they were exaggerating!!!!!

Old December 10th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Perhaps George paid them?

With the Hasbro Game show, Carnival has to mention Hasbro X number of times during each show.

I notice "Presented by George Lopez" anytime Punchliner is mentioned. Sounds like a contractual obligation?