CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   hotel/flight advice (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/392910-hotel-flight-advice.html)

cherylroy November 4th, 2012 07:34 PM

hotel/flight advice

Going on Carnival Breeze May 2013 - so far flight times suck as we have to work the day after we come home. what is the best time to book flights? Now? or wait till few months before we leave? Leaving from New Orleans/Lafayette (closer) to get to Miami -- cruise leaves out of Miami -- what hotel should we use to get to the cruise ship? I always fly in the day before - as with past experience, I almost missed ship!!!!! Suggestions welcomed!!!

Donna November 4th, 2012 08:08 PM

I would just keep checking flights and prices and when you feel comfortable with the time and price, then book it...You still have plenty of time. As for hotels in Miami, you may want to give Priceline a try and bid a downtown Miami hotel...Is there a certain hotel you like better, if so, check their prices too....

mehawk November 5th, 2012 07:29 AM

Be certain that you have plenty of time between flights. On a previous trip, we had 30 minutes between connecting flights and still missed that second flight due to our first plane having to be de-iced before we left the airport. Had to fight the airline tooth and nail to get a refund for that flight and to get booked on another flight without charge.

cherylroy November 8th, 2012 06:19 PM

Oooohhhh I know!! This happened to us before too! So far the flight times are EXPENSIVE and the times suck --- would love to get a nonstop but not gonna happen. I just pray we aren't to late as work the next day is early (go in for 4:30). And I hope no cancellations or delays! We always fly in the day before which will be a Friday (8 day cruise) and don't dock back till Sunday --- Work on Monday.

Donna November 8th, 2012 06:35 PM

If at all possible, I always try to book those non-stops. The last time I used cruie/air it was with Princess and we, of course had a stop in Atlanta and finally arrived in Miami just in time to board. In fact, as soon as we arrived at cabin, the attendant said the muster drill had already started and just to stay put.. That was way too close for my comfort. When I can, fly in the day before and relax before boarding the following day...

cherylroy November 8th, 2012 06:38 PM

Oh I always fly in the day before and just looked online --- Round trip non stop would be 333.00 Not bad -- going there not a problem. Coming home the only non stop is at 10:25 out of Miami to New Orleans. All the other times are putting us home LATE with a 2 hr ride home and cost about 150 more!. I don't know if I should chance it. I want to - but scared! Whats your opinion???????????

Fern November 8th, 2012 08:14 PM

Cheryl, I'd suggest you check to see what the earliest time the Carnival shuttle runs from the port to the airport. Even if you don't use it, you'll get an idea of how long it takes.

As far as hotels, we're really very happy with Hampton Inns. We've been staying with them for several years and find their prices and their service to be very good. Many offer free shuttles (tip please!) to and from the port.

flowers November 11th, 2012 05:27 PM

Im going out of Miami, and flying in on SW to Ft. Lauderdale. SAS is about $15 a person to the port of Miami (vs a cab for about $25 from Miami airport so not much difference) and I think will pick me up at a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale where hotels are cheaper.

You might consider this option? Im flying in from Dallas.

Im looking at hotels in Ft. Lauderdale with free airport shuttles. There is a sticky on this site with hotels listed in Ft. Lauderdale with shuttles you might want to check.