CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   'LIVE' from the Carnival Magic (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/392916-live-carnival-magic.html)

Snoozeman November 5th, 2012 08:50 AM

'LIVE' from the Carnival Magic

Hello All

I boarded the Carnival Magic yesterday in Galveston and we are off to a good start on the cruise. They have an unlimited internet package available that I signed up for last night so I thought I'd try something different if anyone is interested: Live reports from the cruise. Most know I write a review anyway so I'll try to post my daily notes here. Also if you have any questions, perhaps I can get the answer in 'live' time.

I'll start with embark yesterday...I arrived very early as I forgot to set back my clock, but it worked well as it was raining, there was a Biker Rally in Galveston, and a home NFL football game for Houston. Being ahead of the traffic helped a lot. I was on board by 11:00 am...early like I used to like to be (before everyone started coming early). In lieu of heading for the Red Frog for the 1st pax of the day freebie drink I went to and was the first at the Mongolian Grill. I got a free plate--LOL! I did go to the Red Frog pub after lunch as it was raining on deck ... good excuse! After several cocktails and fun the weather had cleared and it was a now a beautiful day for sail away.

more to follow......

aerospace November 5th, 2012 12:33 PM

Didn't have an unlimited option when I cruised Carnival Ecstacy 10 days ago, what did they charge?

Usually I just found a hotspot for free while in port. So far in Europe seems free wifi isn't as uncommon. Even my relatives were like you want them to give you internet for free???

Snoozeman November 5th, 2012 01:03 PM

Just returned from my first Punchliner Comedy Brunch. Not impressed nor do I think most of the passengers. Earlier this morning people were looking for the breakfast dining room...of course now there isn't one...so early folk only have the buffet option or wait until 9:00 am. I was told the line was extremely long at 9:00 am where in the past the MDR would have already been opened not as big a demand for that time.

The menu was just OK, I had Eggs Benedict, but not sure if one should be ordering breakfast or lunch items. It sure cuts down the menu and MDR dining times.

Snoozeman November 5th, 2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerospace (Post 1453764)
Didn't have an unlimited option when I cruised Carnival Ecstacy 10 days ago, what did they charge?

Usually I just found a hotspot for free while in port. So far in Europe seems free wifi isn't as uncommon. Even my relatives were like you want them to give you internet for free???

It's only offered on the Magic. It would be great fleet wide. I did the basic package for $39.99. They have a $99 package as well. I live so far in a rural area that I'm used to the slower sat speeds so I'm satisfied with basic.

Waiting4acruise November 5th, 2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1453767)
It's only offered on the Magic. It would be great fleet wide. I did the basic package for $39.99. They have a $99 package as well. I live so far in a rural area that I'm used to the slower sat speeds so I'm satisfied with basic.

Are you going to try the lunch in the MDR?

Snoozeman November 6th, 2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waiting4acruise (Post 1453815)
Are you going to try the lunch in the MDR?

They no longer have a lunch per se in the MDR. They have the Punchliner Comedy Brunch. Fewer lunch choices on menu, more breakfast oriented.

Snoozeman November 6th, 2012 07:14 AM

Fantastic production show last night: Grooveline. It was much better than when I previously saw it. They simplified some costuming and concentrated on the music. Very enjoyable...not to be missed.

Snoozeman November 6th, 2012 08:20 AM

Something cool happened last night at dinner. I was with a group of Travel Agents on the first night, but bailed on them to get a better table location in the MDR. Ante the Matre'D found me a nice spot at a ten top. One couple I knew from VIFP check in. The interesting thing was that there were two single ladies traveling together that had never met prior to the cruise. Guess where they met: Cruisemates!! How cool. One had been reading my blog for years and knew all about me (that can be good or bad:-|) so it was very interesting.

Actually I have had several people stop me already and ask if I was the guy who writes the blog. I guess because I had some of the early reviews and photos of the Carnival Magic when one does a google search for Carnival Magic Review my posts in both Cruisemates and my blog comes up very high on the list. I actually didn't know that until a new friend told me that in the Red Frog Pub yesterday.

Snoozeman November 6th, 2012 09:22 AM

Punchliner Comedy Brunch

Punchliner Comedy Brunch...it sucks. :roll: IMHO

If your a cruiser that likes to party late and sleep in the mornings to 10:00ish then it's probably ideal for you.

If your a cruiser that like to get up earlier it really limits your breakfast options. Since they have implemented this system there are only three options for breakfast: Room Service, Lido buffet, or the Brunch. No regular (MDR) dining room service. The Lido opens later (7:30) and the Brunch starts at 9:00 am. What has happened is all the diners that would have eaten in the MDR from 8-9:00 are now in the Lido. The only eggs on the buffet were some very runny scrambled eggs. so trying to get anywhere near the omelette station requires a very long wait. This morning there were 2-3 people in the long buffet lines, but 25-30 standing at the omelette station trying to get decent eggs.

This also causes a huge line to form waiting for the Brunch to open at 9:00 am in the Northern Lights dining room and takes a while to get everyone seated. You also get the confusion of people wanting to just see what they think is a comedy show and not interested in breakfast AND people who just want a nice breakfast and not interested in all the noise of the comedy routine or actually a sales pitch. Very confusing.

I just can't believe it will continue. I met a lot of unhappy guests the past two mornings. If it does I guess I will adapt, probably using room service for early bite then go to brunch about 10:30 after the lines get drawn down. I much rather prefer the main dining room system, but maybe I'm just getting old and not liking the changes.:rolleyes:

antoniousmc November 6th, 2012 01:08 PM

Will be on the magic for thanksgiving and was waiting until I came back to book one for January after I bought the future cruise certificate. But I heard that has been stopped and that now they offer some type of promotion if you book onboard. Do you know what they offer for you to book your cruise onboard?

Thank you in advance
have fun

Waiting4acruise November 6th, 2012 01:36 PM

Because we are late risers we may like the MDR brunch. I would not go just to see the comedians. We hope to cruise on the Magic next year.

lhp November 6th, 2012 02:41 PM

Looks like I will have to alter my cruise routine....

instead of Main Dining Room on the Sea day....

do room service for breakfast (hopefully they will actually pick up the door hanger...they didn't on the Elation)

wait until as late as possible for the brunch...

Paul Motter November 6th, 2012 03:31 PM

Ray....

I personally never understood why they thought breakfast is the meal of the day when most people will be ready for comedy. All I want before 10:00 is coffee.

I am curious - what role did George Lopez play in the Comedy breakfast - any audio/video? Any mention of him in the program, any of the comedians mention him?

Any George Lopez references at all?

Snoozeman November 6th, 2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniousmc (Post 1453900)
Will be on the magic for thanksgiving and was waiting until I came back to book one for January after I bought the future cruise certificate. But I heard that has been stopped and that now they offer some type of promotion if you book onboard. Do you know what they offer for you to book your cruise onboard?

Thank you in advance
have fun

It will be the same, a $100 obc on a 7-day. Now you have to pay the full deposit though unless they happen to be having a reduced deposit sale at time of your booking.

Snoozeman November 6th, 2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1453914)
Ray....

I personally never understood why they thought breakfast is the meal of the day when most people will be ready for comedy. All I want before 10:00 is coffee.

I am curious - what role did George Lopez play in the Comedy breakfast - any audio/video? Any mention of him in the program, any of the comedians mention him?

Any George Lopez references at all?

Yesterday (first day) they played an recorded intro by Geo Lopez, then the comedy host came on live and gave the times for the Comedy club. Then he introduced the comedian and the comedian repeats exactly what the host just said about the comedy club and times. He then tells a bit that lasts maybe 5 minutes. Overall it's about 15 minutes.

This morning was the same, but I don't recall the Geo Lopez intro. Maybe they only do that the 1st day.

They run a bit by Geo Lopez on the TV promoting the Punchliner.

No one mentioned him at breakfast, I haven't been to Punchliners yet, but will and report.

I've seen a new graphic with Geo Lopez at a stand up mic and Punchliners above it.

Waiting4acruise November 6th, 2012 05:39 PM

Where are the smoking areas on the Lido deck?

Snoozeman November 7th, 2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waiting4acruise (Post 1453930)
Where are the smoking areas on the Lido deck?

Aft - Port side

Snoozeman November 7th, 2012 07:37 AM

Attended the Diamond members gathering yesterday. There were 7 Diamonds and about double that in senior staff. Great hors d'oeuvres...best I've ever seen and cocktails. Captain quite friendly.

We're docked in Montego Bay, haven't started debark yet, but I'm staying on board. I will be heading to regular MDR for breakfast...no comedy brunch on port days. GooD!

Snoozeman November 7th, 2012 03:11 PM

Took advantage of Pool with most pax off the ship.

Also the Twister & Drainpipe slides!

http://blog.galveston.com/wp-content...aterworks2.jpg

Phil&Liz November 8th, 2012 02:10 PM

Ray, have you been to the deli yet? They no longer served chips there.
We talked with Cade the F&B manager about it. He could not answer as to why not or if its only temporary. He did arrange for a whole bag of chips to be delivered to our cabin.

Jimmy & Darren were the singers in the MDR during dinner. Not sure if one of them is the same as was on BC5.

Will you be up at 530-545am Sunday to look for the tugs aft? We didnt have one on our return. We passed the first red/green bouoy at the entrance to the channel at 530, at the USCG point at 555am when the turn around began.

Btw, supposed to be rain and chilly weather Sunday on your return.
Call/text us if you want to stop by on the way home.

Snoozeman November 8th, 2012 02:30 PM

Sam (from England) the new Hotel Director is my new 'bud'. I'll ask him about the chips.

Yes one of the singers was on Magic BC....They brought him from other dining room when Ken got shellacked. I don't know which is which...my bad.

Captain Cutugno must have confidence in the thrusters. We are the only ship anchored off of windy Georgetown. The others are anchored at Spotts Bay. I guess he would have had to use them either place, but certainly more so here. I spoke to an engineer and he confirmed that we are using old thrusters, not the original ones that were installed on the ship. I think they used one (or more) from the Princess ship in drydock at Freeport when we were there on TA.

Thanks for weather report...I'll wear bluejeans on Sunday.

zydecocruiser November 8th, 2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1453767)

I understand it is also on Dream now. I'm hoping it will be available on our Nov 25th Conquest cruise.

Looking forward to the brunch (and Guys and the new pizza and...) on Conquest - you can go at 9AMish and again before they close for a TwoFer!

Phil&Liz November 8th, 2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1454068)

Thanks for weather report...I'll wear bluejeans on Sunday.

Revised forcast now has the cold arrivng here Monday so Sunday will be rain but not cold. The front should be thru Bosque County tho so there may be a temp difference from Galveston to home.

Snoozeman November 8th, 2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1454091)
I understand it is also on Dream now. I'm hoping it will be available on our Nov 25th Conquest cruise.

Looking forward to the brunch (and Guys and the new pizza and...) on Conquest - you can go at 9AMish and again before they close for a TwoFer!

I hope it will be on the Breeze too. It's been fast all day today. It was non existent at election time...too many trying to use it. Well worth $40.

If you want to be in the Brunch by 9-9:15 you'll need to stand in line for at least 30 minutes. No problem on the 2fer, not many there late, it's getting in for the 1st one that's the problem. BTW--the menu is great once you get in.

Snoozeman November 8th, 2012 08:16 PM

Tonight was the VIFP party. It was in the theater....lot's of folks. There were 6 Diamonds there and they called us on stage. It was interesting. Drinks were large Funship Specials. They were pretty good about them, but there was a room full of people...I think I had just enough.

Phiz: Sam was in the receiving line so I asked about the Potato chips. No longer at the Deli, but they still have them on room service orders. So...order the very good BLT's!

Waiting4acruise November 8th, 2012 09:11 PM

I love the room service blt sandwiches.

Peddler November 10th, 2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1454068)

Captain Cutugno must have confidence in the thrusters. We are the only ship anchored off of windy Georgetown. The others are anchored at Spotts Bay. I guess he would have had to use them either place, but certainly more so here. I spoke to an engineer and he confirmed that we are using old thrusters, not the original ones that were installed on the ship. I think they used one (or more) from the Princess ship in drydock at Freeport when we were there on TA.

That's the nice part about cookie cutter ships, parts interchange.:mrgreen:

Snoozeman November 10th, 2012 10:02 AM

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Cozumel. Light breeze and cloudy so very comfortable. Four ships in port. I did get off for the 1st time and went to San Miguel. It was a fun day.

Last night late on deck they had the Fiesta party. Food, music, and dancing. I have never seen so many fantastic salsa dancers....very interesting.

Last sea day today as we head back to Galveston. I'll be off to Punchliner brunch soon.

Waiting4acruise November 10th, 2012 01:12 PM

How is the Red Frog Pub?

Snoozeman November 10th, 2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waiting4acruise (Post 1454238)
How is the Red Frog Pub?

Well I could be safe and say I'm not sure as I haven't been there, but all the photos of me on the screen AND wall say differently.

It's FANTASTIC!!

I kind of miss all my friends in the red Hawaiian shirts though when I go in.....