CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival declares a special dividend (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/393115-carnival-declares-special-dividend.html)

zydecocruiser November 16th, 2012 10:20 AM

Carnival declares a special dividend

Carnival declares a special dividend on top of regular quarterly dividend

valtime November 16th, 2012 10:58 AM

That is great news. Love that Carnival stock.

krunch November 22nd, 2012 08:44 PM

Agreed!

I hold the required 100 shares for the shipboard credit so it's already saved me some money on past cruises. When the unfortunate incident happened with the Costa Concordia I doubled it down. Sold the 100 shares a week later for a small profit and a new lower average cost.

The "Special Dividend" is definately a good thing. I hope it's an indicator that they raise the regular dividend next year.

Krunch

green_rd December 3rd, 2012 05:42 PM

Just out of curiosity, is the shareholder OBC a taxable benefit?

krunch December 3rd, 2012 06:36 PM

Hopefully one of your American friends can answer that for you. Here in Canada you can own stock in an RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings Plan) which is not taxable income until you sell the stock and take the money out of your account. If you were to loose money, when you withdrew the money after selling the stock, you could claim it as a loss against your personal income tax. I hold my stock in a Canadian TFSA (Tax Free Savings Account) so I didn't get a tax benefit when I put the money into the TFSA like you would with an RRSP. I could sell my stock anytime, withdraw the money out of the TFSA and not pay any income tax on it if I made money, but nor can I claim a loss if I were to loose money.

Unless you are asking about the actual $100 itself you receive as onboard credit, in that case, no, I do not pay any sales, state, or Canadian provincial tax on that. $100 credit just shows up on our S&S. Again, is that because I am a Canadian citizen? Not sure.

Krunch

Mike M December 3rd, 2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1457162)
Just out of curiosity, is the shareholder OBC a taxable benefit?

It is not taxed.

Take care,
Mike

zydecocruiser December 3rd, 2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1457169)
No it is not taxed.

Take care,
Mike

Currently.

The shareholder OBC is not a distribution so couldn't be taxed as a dividend.

If the politicians ever figure out how to tax it, I think they would have to figure out how to tax airline FF miles and free drinks on some cruise lines, etc.

krunch December 3rd, 2012 10:28 PM

Funny thing is my CCL dividend doesn't get taxed. Is the stock based in Europe? Would that be why? Either way I'm not complaining LOL I own a couple of US stocks that do have the dividend taxed though.

Krunch

zydecocruiser December 3rd, 2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krunch (Post 1457181)
Funny thing is my CCL dividend doesn't get taxed. Is the stock based in Europe? Would that be why? Either way I'm not complaining LOL I own a couple of US stocks that do have the dividend taxed though.

Krunch

There is a CCL in UK, but mostly is a US corporation. The US part is supposed to be buying out the UK stock as time and price permits.

Be vewy, vewy, quiet.

krunch December 3rd, 2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1457183)
There is a CCL in UK, but mostly is a US corporation. The US part is supposed to be buying out the UK stock as time and price permits.

Be vewy, vewy, quiet.

Your secret is safe with me LOL!

Krunch

zydecocruiser December 3rd, 2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krunch (Post 1457187)
Your secret is safe with me LOL!

Krunch

I'm not particularly worried. Congress would never pass a tax on themselves. rofl

flowers December 5th, 2012 12:12 AM

Bill, I enjoyed meeting you last week. A unexpected treat to meet a genuinely nice guy who like me knows a lot about Carnival and just wants to share their knowledge and help people.

I didnt get much chance to say hello to your g/f but Im sure she is as nice as you.

I sold most of my Carnival stock a year ago, only kept 100 shares. With so little its not going to make much of a difference to me one way or another, but nice to have.

A lot of companies are declaring special dividends before tax rates are hiked next year. Can't say I blame them.

You have me more interested in trying out Sunshine .. especially if Noonan will be the CD. I hope we run into each other again.

zydecocruiser December 5th, 2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowers (Post 1457320)
Bill, I enjoyed meeting you last week. A unexpected treat to meet a genuinely nice guy who like me knows a lot about Carnival and just wants to share their knowledge and help people.

I didnt get much chance to say hello to your g/f but Im sure she is as nice as you.

I sold most of my Carnival stock a year ago, only kept 100 shares. With so little its not going to make much of a difference to me one way or another, but nice to have.

A lot of companies are declaring special dividends before tax rates are hiked next year. Can't say I blame them.

You have me more interested in trying out Sunshine .. especially if Noonan will be the CD. I hope we run into each other again.

A pleasure meeting you, too. Unlike some phoneys on another website, you actually do cruise, and quite often. Elizabeth doesn't do CC but we did one time enjoy a Cruisemates party.

I've been doing CCL dividend reinvestment for a while and hold the stock in a retirement account anyway. Not a real active trader.

Something over 110 companies have declared a special dividend. Why give to the government what you can give to the company owners, big and small.

I expect tax rates on both dividends and capital gains to change next year, with dividends ending up at a higher rate than capital gains.