Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Familiar Face

Talking Snorkeling in St. Johns

I previously posted about the best snorkeling locations while in St. Thomas & St. Maarten. It seems that a short trip to St. Johns may be our best option and follow the guided tour that is provided. I just have a few questions.

1. I assume this tour is approached from the beach. How far out from the beach does the tour extend? Is it physically taxing?
2. Is there any cost associated with this snorkel? I am assuming the viewing during the snorkel is reef's or are there man-made habitats?
3. Is there a location on the beach that rents equipment, esp. floatation devices and fins (I'll bring the other eq.)? If so, is the cost reasonable?
4. Would we need to bring our own towel's? I'm thinking yes.

We may do more than one snorkel, but we at least want to get one in. My son & I were planning on Scuba Diving but I have not yet completed my certification so that will have to wait until the next cruise.

Thanks for your assistance.

Leaving in 2 days.

Holland Eurodam 12/2009
RCCL Liberty of the Seas 12/2011
Carnival Fantasy 4/2012
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

If you are doing a ship excursion, they will provide all the snorkeling equipment, but bring along a towel from the ship. Just make sure to return it to the ship, or they will charge you for it.

If you snorkel at Trunk Bay, there is a marked trail underwater that is interesting, plus you can snorkel around a small island with tons of fish, coral, etc. I don't remember any beach chairs, but the towel will do. It is an amazing and beautiful island, well worth the trip over.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Captain

Carnival provides beach towels in your cabin you can take, but dont lose them or they charge you for them. I would not pack them.

I personally dont wear the flippers to snorkel, just the mask and tube, but then in Hawaii we did not make such a deal about snorkeling.

A week ago or two on Conquest, I saw a girl who had snorkeled the day before and all her toes were terribly cut up and she had to wear sandels the rest of the cruise. Maybe bring some bandages .. just in case your toes are tender like hers were and the flippers cut into them. .. or take off the flippers .. if you can tell you are that cut up about to bleed.. its not required to wear them.
Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14
Old December 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the info. We are planning on snorkeling on our own. Just wanted to know how far out from the beach the marked trail is. I am assuming it is accessible from the beach.

Also wondering if there is anyone on the beach that rents floatation devices so we will have more time to view the fish without getting tired.

Do you know the name of the specific beach the trail is accessible from.

Thanks for help.

God Bless

Holland Eurodam 12/2009
RCCL Liberty of the Seas 12/2011
Carnival Fantasy 4/2012
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Tommy,
The marked underwater trail is at Trunk Bay, and yes it is very close to the beach. I believe they also rent snorkeling equipment right on the beach. I just don't remember any beach chairs available there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also want to add that it is a beautiful beach and they have Lifeguards at Trunk Bay. They work for the US Park Service as Trunk Bay is in the USVI National Park. The snorkeling trail is pretty clearly marked and is a must do.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Was there back on December 11 while on the Liberty. Gorgeous beach, pictures, free snorkel rentals with shore excursion, definitely take your beach towel from cabin. Had some excitement after snorkeling, I was swimming toward shore, and got in about 6 feet of water to start walking. Looked down and had a family of 4 sting rays about 3 feet in front of me! Calmed waited for them to swim by & gave them the ocean for awhile.