Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Familiar Face

Default FEEDBACK PLEASE! Carnival Dream Port Hole cabins cat 1N

I am thinking about taking the Carnival Dream in January in a cabin that is category 1N, a port hole cabin. It is a deal of a price but only comes with one twin bed and the other bed is really a studio couch. So here is my question: this cabin (number 1201) is located on the Riviera Deck, all the way forward. Can't see what is under this deck. Anyone been in one of these?

What is the noise level like?
How comfortable is the studio couch to sleep on?
Do you hear any of the ships motors, anchors etc?
Motion? any different here than anywhere else?
(no I do not get motion sick)

Supposedly the space is the same, but the windows are small. Comments please???!!! I need to decide within a day or so.
It is an outside cabin at the price of an inside.
Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Captain

Hi, the cabin you are speaking of is a 1A (not a 1N).

I had one just like it on Magic. The forward elevators, the glass ones only go down to deck 2, so you will need to take the regular forward elevators or walk down one flight.

I did this cabin solo, so did not sleep on the convertible sofa .. but I have about 15 pictures of the same cabin on Magic, including the bathroom. It is quite roomy. A port hole is a round smaller window, but you can see out. It is a oversized cabin compared to a regular inside cabin. Closer in s.f. to a OV.
Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Captain

There is more noise as you are upfront and will hear docking noises. I also admit to getting seasick the very last morning about 3 a.m. and already packed, so had to unpack to find my seasick meds. I rarely get seasick, but the beds rocked different in that cabin.

Here is another view of the 1A cabin you are looking at. Its a great cabin for the money.

I am doing something wrong.. Photobucket has changed their format.

Seems the same picture and I cant seem to remove it from this post.

Let me try another.

Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Familiar Face

I really appreciate the photos. It is interesting that the configuration is different than what is on Carnival's website. It shows the twin bed against the wall under the windows and the day bed at a "t" to that alongside the wall.

How was it sleeping on the sofa bed? There will be two females in this cabin

How early do you hear docking noise?
Old December 18th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Captain

I was solo, so I did not sleep on the sofa bed. Once we had the same configuration on another ship and my sister slept on the sofa bed. It is a tad harder mattress. They just took off the cushions you see sitting on the back of the convertible sofa in the picture and threw them on the floor at night. The next day picked them up and put them back on the bed to make it into a sofa.

The first picture above, on the lower left the cabinet drawer that is open, is the safe.

This picture shows the new tvs we had on Magic, nice flat screens.

Old December 18th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks so much for the feedback and photos.

Anyone else been in this cabin on the Carnival Dream and slept on the sofa bed? Doesn't sound real comfy. It would be perfect for a solo though!
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Captain

Here is a close up of the convertible sofa. You can see the pillows better on the back they remove at night so you can sleep on it. These used to be considered solo cabins and you only had to pay 150% solo supplement. Many of us are very sad that Carnival decided to charge us 200% solo supplement on these cabins now. I dont have it uploaded to photo bucket, so have to attach as a thumbnail ... Hopefully this works so you can click on the thumbnail to enlarge it. I have not posted many pictures on this site yet, so forgive my mistakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voyager3 279.jpg (89.6 KB, 6 views)
Old December 18th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Admiral

The sofa beds are fine. It's not like anything folds out. They are just like a twin bed.

You will certainly hear noise from the thrusters which they use when docking or when tendering. Or perhaps an anchor. The time depends on what time they approach a port.

You might hear waves pounding against the hull.

Motion is more than if you were in the middle of the ship, but less than the same cabin location 10 decks up.

1A cabin configurations can vary a lot because they are made fit fit in whatever space is available or leftover and are not cookie cutter like most of the rest.
Old December 18th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Sofa bed sans sheets