Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM
First Mate

Default Has anyone ever done this???

We're cruising on the Breeze in April and I've never thought of this until now but I wonder if it would be problem! We're flying into FLL and most likely will be renting a car for the drive down to Miami.

I was thinking of driving to the pier early, checking in our luggage then spending a couple of hours in Miami before dropping the car off and getting a shuttle back to the boat, then checking ourselves onto the boat?

Has anyone every done this? Let me know, thanks!

Please save your energy if you're going to respond with an answer like; "why not just get on the boat early?"
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Indeed, have done it several times.

The key is choosing the rental company with a convenient drop off location.

Budget has an office in downtown Miami, with shuttle to the port. Enterprise did as well (not sure if it's still there).

Otherwise you have to drop off at the airport, and shuttle back to the pier. If that's the case, leave enough time to get a shuttle to the pier.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Great info, Kuki. I assumed it was possible but I have never done it.

I know that this is for Miami, but I can tell you that renting and especially returning a rental car at Fort Lauderdale airport is extremely tricky, I have never been so lost in my life.
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:29 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the info Kuki! Paul - I've been in and out of FLL so many times that it's like a second home airport for me.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I got so lost I had to call the rental car company and not let them hang up until they talked me into the driveway.
Old December 26th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Indeed, have done it several times.

The key is choosing the rental company with a convenient drop off location.

Budget has an office in downtown Miami, with shuttle to the port. Enterprise did as well (not sure if it's still there).

Otherwise you have to drop off at the airport, and shuttle back to the pier. If that's the case, leave enough time to get a shuttle to the pier.
Have you used the shuttle recently? I emailed Budget to ask if they had a shuttle from the downtown 2nd Street location and they replied back that they didn't???
Old December 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Captain

My only comments would be that they will not start accepting luggge until around 10:30, when they allow you to start checking in for your cruise. You cannot go way early before they have debarked the last guests.

Miami is very large and there is a lot of traffic and many not so good areas. What do you plan to do in only a couple of hours? That does not seem like enough time.

I might go down early and not spend time getting to downtown to the port and then going somewhere else in Miami. Keep the luggage in the trunk of the rental car perhaps? The port area can be very crowded. The last time I was there the line from the port over the bridge had many delivery type trucks and cars .. and the traffic was stop and go. It would have taken an hour just to get over the bridge, never mind the time getting into the port to drop off luggage.

I took the $2 city bus in Miami to South Beach last time I was there, but if you are cutting it this close, I would not try this.

I am flying into Ft. Lauderdale myself the next two times (SW doesnt fly into Miami) and Im planning on doing SAS shuttle to the port from a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale that has a free airport shuttle.
Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by firster View Post
Have you used the shuttle recently? I emailed Budget to ask if they had a shuttle from the downtown 2nd Street location and they replied back that they didn't???
Nope.. it has been several years since I've cruised out of Miami actually. Things certainly may have changed, as far as shuttles... and lot of other things
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 27th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Captain

We stayed at the Intercontinental where we could see the ships in port across the water. Thats how we could sit there and watch the traffic over the bridge. It was not bad to GET to the port.. but coming FROM the port that day, was stop and go. So many delivery trucks. Maybe there were a lot of ships going out that day that had just come in?

I watched traffic over the bridge for about an hour and it never got better. It would not have been fun to go and drop off luggage and think you could get out of there fast and go sight seeing. .. but it could just have been a extra bad day too.
Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:55 PM
Familiar Face

we have rented cars from Hertz who is really close to the port and also has a shuttle. Biscayne Bay has shopping, lots of little shops and food places.
I am always eager to get on the boat but thats just me. We travel down 1 day early because were from Mi and sometimes we have weather issues.
Have fun no matter what you do.
april

Old January 4th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Nope.. it has been several years since I've cruised out of Miami actually. Things certainly may have changed, as far as shuttles... and lot of other things
That's too bad - I was hoping the email was wrong, the convenience would've been nice since there are 5 of us and we will have to wait for a van taxi. They told me it has something to do with security at the port?? Don't really understand that since it is no different than a private car dropping passengers off and they do shuttle from the airport. But anyway, they said it is about a $12 taxi fare from Budget's downtown location to the port.
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by firster View Post
That's too bad - I was hoping the email was wrong, the convenience would've been nice since there are 5 of us and we will have to wait for a van taxi. They told me it has something to do with security at the port?? Don't really understand that since it is no different than a private car dropping passengers off and they do shuttle from the airport. But anyway, they said it is about a $12 taxi fare from Budget's downtown location to the port.
IC which is a downtown hotel, the taxi said it was around $7 taxi fare, plus $1 per person extra... so its the $1 pp that probably brings it up to $12. (unless things have changed or the driver made that up)