Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Familiar Face

Talking Conquest--Belize/Isla Roatan/Mexico itinerary

Has anyone cruised the Conquest with the Belize/Isla Roatan/Mexico itinerary? My husband and I were planning to cruise the Conquest for the Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Mexico itinerary, but the dates aren't going to work out for us. I've cruised on the Conquest before on the Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Mexico itinerary, and I was wondering if we would enjoy the Belize itinerary as much. TIA for the info!

~Ashley
Carnival Fantasy 1994
Carnival Fantasy 2000
Carnival Conquest 2004
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We sailed that itinerary a couple of years ago, I would say if you like to snorkle,and enjoy more rustic, eco style exursions, than, you will enjoy these ports.

If you are used to better/more shopping, more historical,or enjoy more lively ports, than, you may just enjoy more ship time.

Check out the ship excursions,and see what appeals to you. Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 29th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the information, Teal! It is much appreciated!
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Captain

I would much much rather do the Belize/Roatan route than Jamaica Cozumel. If you go google Victor Bodden for Roatan. He is very inexpensive and will show you everything on the beautiful island for about $35 pp. You just pay for anything extra. For $5 extra you can go to his house and see animals, including monkeys you can get into the cage with them and they jump around on you.

I just did this route and so did Zydecocruiser, so Im sure he too will have a lot of feedback. He put up a link to his pictures recently. We got back early December. (though I try to go every year for the last 4 or 5 years to Roatan as it is my favorite port)

Belize you can get any drugs you want at the port. Its the only port I know of that you can even buy pain meds. I was surprised. I had bought so much stuff in Roatan, a beautiful mahogany bowl and some Lenca pottery and on and on, roasted chocolate beans, you name it .. that I did not buy as much in Belize as I might have.

Carnival has a free beach near their new port if you want a beach day in Roatan, but I think this of all ports is really worth getting out and seeing the sights.

Both ports are known for their diving and the crystal clear waters.
Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Admiral

Done that itinerary twice in 2 years on Carnival Conquest and like it.

Lots of pictures and info:

from Nov, 2011:
Carnival Conquest Cruise New Orleans November 13-20, 2011

from Nov, 2012
Carnival Conquest Cruise, Nov 25-Dec 2, 2012
Old December 30th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Familiar Face

I viewed your pics yesterday from your 2012 cruise. They were gorgeous!!! I noticed you've cruised the Conquest out of NOLA on the Belize itinerary as well as the Magic out of Galveston on the Jamaica/Grand Cayman itinerary. Which do you prefer?
Old December 30th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Admiral

thank you.

the standard western itinerary is Jamaica/Grand cayman. GC is one of my favorite ports - especially if you have never done stingray sandbar.

on the other hand, there are some shark/ray tours you can do in Belize that are great.

either itinerary is fine, and it is nice having a choice. if you do enough of either, you will be more than ready for the other.
Old December 31st, 2012, 01:34 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudUSMCWife View Post
I viewed your pics yesterday from your 2012 cruise. They were gorgeous!!! I noticed you've cruised the Conquest out of NOLA on the Belize itinerary as well as the Magic out of Galveston on the Jamaica/Grand Cayman itinerary. Which do you prefer?
Is your question which itinerary .. or which ship. Magic hands down. Ill let zydecocruise answer for himself which itinerary.

My biggest problem with this itinerary on Conquest.. I described below .. Jamaica on the same day Magic was there.. the pushing and shoving to get on a shuttle to the main port area where Magic was, was awful. Big turn off for me. I could have walked it in 5 minutes, but not allowed.. I did not like having to push my way onto the shuttle. No one in charge .. just pushing and shoving.

Having been on the same cruise with zydecocruiser and I did a B2B on conquest and Magic, end of sept into Oct, so recently.

I much preferred Magic. The food in the dining room was much better, but that could be a matter of luck. I really like Tandori for lunch, one day in particular. They rotate the Indian food menu on a 3 day rotation.

Magic has a serenity area and the back pool is just gorgeous.

Magic on Thursday, Cozumel day, they had hundreds and hundreds of towel animals in every chair and on every surfact up on Lido deck, even floating on a surfboard in the pool.

When we did Conquest the same western that Magic was doing, in Jamaica they had us dock around the corner and we had to shuttle to the port that Magic was at. The shuttle was not organized and there were no lines, just when one would show up, everyone pushed and shoved to get on. I missed at least 3 shuttles because I did not want to fight. I felt like conquest is treated like a 2nd class citizen.

Conquest does not have a serenity area, which might or might not be of importance to you. The food on Magic seemed to be more spread out in the buffet and less lines.

Magic had the $39.99 24/7 slow connection and the $99.99 50X faster internet connection for the whole week. I do not believe Conquest is even wired for the faster connection. It is nice to get internet for $39.99 on my tablet for the whole week onboard.

Magic is one of the 2 ships that has the ropes course, nice if you have kids or adults who are big kids. It also has waterworks, whereas Conquest has the one slide. It has the Red Frog Pub with the food, whereas 2.0 red frog bar is just a bar, not the food. Since this food carries a cost of $3.33, again it might not be what you want, but it draws some away from the other food venues keeping them less crowded than the buffet area on conquest. The lack of waterworks might be a deciding factor for some too.

I would cruise either again .. but if prices were the same, Magic hands down. Of course there is about 10 years almost difference in ship age which shows. I still like Conquest.. but I loved Magic.

Thur is towel animal day on Lido on Magic

The back pool does not show very well, but you can see other nice lounging areas.. and the back pool is very nice. I didnt want to bore you with too many pictures.. but these illustrate why I prefer Magic.

Rope course, only on Breeze and Magic

Beautiful serenity area. Conquest has no serenity area.

Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14

Last edited by flowers; December 31st, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:57 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks so much for all of the WONDERFUL information!!! I've cruised on the Conquest before, and we DEFINITELY want the Jamaica/Grand Cayman itinerary. I know the Conquest just had a complete remodel, so I'm not sure how we're going to decide!
Old January 1st, 2013, 03:15 PM
Admiral

The only reasons I would prefer Magic over Conquest would be Cove Balconies and for a limited time, the unlimited internet, which is supposed to roll out fleet-wide sometime.

OTOH, Conquest has Fish and Chips and Guy's Burgers!

I think they did the towel animals on Conquest, but I'm not a morning person.

And, of course, I much prefer to sail from New Orleans vs Galveston.

Old January 1st, 2013, 05:54 PM
Captain

I was up every morning and Im sure on Lido deck and did not see the towel animals on Conquest.

I dont know if I would choose Conquest because of guy's burgers or not, though I did love them.

I would say more buffet items on Magic, plus waterworks, serenity and the hot tubs on the promenade deck where they are extra items for lunch served there to spread people out during meals, so less lines in the buffet.

Tandori vs Fish and Chips .. which one do you prefer?

Magic also has the Italian for lunch for free, and $12 for dinner also to disperse meal crowds in the buffet. I dont like pasta, so thats probably why I forgot to mention it as another extra on Magic.

Since I live in Texas, and did Conquest about a zillion times out of Galveston, I am probably just a little burnt out on that ship and Magic is a new ship to learn and explore.

Guys burgers (I admit a huge draw) .. vs. a bunch of new stuff... hmmm
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:11 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks to everyone for your information! I think we've decided to cruise on the Conquest in June, 2013, mainly because we LOVE NOLA and because it has the itinerary we want when we can go. You have all been most helpful!
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:01 PM
Captain

Save some pizza and burgers for me. I will be on Conquest in July 2013 and hoping it is not too hot to enjoy the cruise. I have never done a summer cruise before.

The price on Conquest is just cheaper than Magic, pure and simple .. so Conquest again right after you will be on.

I know I will enjoy it no matter what ship it is.. any cruise is good to me.

I am looking forward to Sunshine and seeing a new ship in this area I have to admit.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:08 AM
Familiar Face

I'll try to save some food for you, but no promises! ! I've done a summer cruise before, although I went in June, so I'm not sure what the temps will be like in July. This will be my husband's first cruise (well, besides those on a Navy ship he took while in the Marine Corps), so we're both looking forward to it!
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:09 PM
Admiral

We've spent 35 days on Magic and never did the ropes course or cucina or many of the "attractions". Even more days on Conquest. But Guy's Burgers? Almost daily.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:43 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Ashley,

I have cruised this itinerary on the Liberty in January 2012. I had been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman already once before. Belize and Roatan were new to me. My wife and I didn't actually set foot in Belize because we took an excursion that picked us up from the ship and took us to a island off of Belize to relax on the beach. If you are looking to relax on the beach, I highly recommend not taking the private beach excursion off of Belize. It is a man made beach and in very rough condition. No white sand. Beach are is almost unbearable to walk barefoot on because of all the sea shells. When we got to Roatan, we took a taxi to Tabyanna beach. If you are a beach people, this is a must. I do plan to do this itinerary again in the future but next time I will take the tender into Belize.

Jeff
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:15 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
Save some pizza and burgers for me. I will be on Conquest in July 2013 and hoping it is not too hot to enjoy the cruise. I have never done a summer cruise before.

The price on Conquest is just cheaper than Magic, pure and simple .. so Conquest again right after you will be on.

I know I will enjoy it no matter what ship it is.. any cruise is good to me.

I am looking forward to Sunshine and seeing a new ship in this area I have to admit.
It will be very hot on this Cruise. New Orleans is also very humid this time of the year.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:18 PM
Familiar Face

Yes, it is! My husband and I are both from the South, though, so we're used to the humidity.
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4acruise View Post
It will be very hot on this Cruise. New Orleans is also very humid this time of the year.
lol thanks a lot!!! Dallas is hot too, but not humid. I need this to hit milestone on my cruise to Hawaii .. so I'm going to just have to make up my mind to enjoy it.. poor me

Hi neighbor. I know you know that area well.
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

thank you and your spouse for your service!
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:23 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
lol thanks a lot!!! Dallas is hot too, but not humid. I need this to hit milestone on my cruise to Hawaii .. so I'm going to just have to make up my mind to enjoy it.. poor me

Hi neighbor. I know you know that area well.
I was born and raised in New Orleans.
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Familiar Face

Catahoula--Thank you for your kind words!