Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hair Dryers

I looked at past threads about hair dryers and they all pretty old. I know there are new rules about the wattage on hair dryers you can take aboard. On the last cruise in October there was not onein our cabin on Fascination. We had to ask room steward for one and it promptly blew a fuse and we had to have an electrician fix the only plug in the cabin. Going on Ecstasy in 2 days and need some advice please. Is it hit or miss thing depending on the ship? Should we chance taking our own so my wife doesn't get after me about not having one?
Help....
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have not heard of new regulations, but, in any case, I always bring a travel size dryer, with the wattage that is best for my hair,I have encountered ones that don't work, or the type you need to hold down for it to blow the hair, which is a pain..also bring along a power strip for all tour electonics.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 7th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

What ship are you sailing on?? I have always had a hair dryer in cabins, decent one on Glory when I cruised on her...If an older ship, may-be take a travel one for just in case...

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Captain

OP the Fantasy class ships do not provide hair dryers, but the newer ones like conquest class do provide them. So, it depends on your ship if they provide them.

The cabin steward was nice to give you one to use, but you should take your own to me and not assume he has one to loan you if you are on a older ship.

I concur.. which ship are you asking about?
Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Going on Ecstasy.
We had one "detained" by security on Conquest one time and I had to go down to get the bag it was in. We didn't get it back until last night of cruise. On Fascination last October we didn't have one in cabin.
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Bruce, who posts here,and works on HAL, once explained about the voltage, and issues related to all the "stuff" that can overload the system. I have never had a 2nd glance given to any dryer I ever packed, or for that matter, my little travel steamer.

If I can find his post, I will repost here.
Ok I found Bruce Chalfkin's post, here it is:

There are good reasons why cruise lines have low-wattage hairdryers and no alarm clocks in staterooms.

High wattage electrical devices are fire hazards. They can overheat and start fires.
High wattage electrical devices easily exceed the capacity of the step-down transformers that supply 120 volt power to your stateroom. If too many high wattage devices are used in certain areas of the ship, the transformers can fail, causing a blackout, or overheat and possibly cause a fire.

Cruise lines tried for years to place alarm clocks in staterooms.
They were always stolen by the passengers.
We gave up.
Use the wake up call system, or bring your own.
Note that some older ships still operate on 50 cycle current. A 120 volt alarm clock running on 50 cycle current will lose 10 minutes every hour.

Last edited by Trip; January 7th, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Captain

I took a electric clock that started running backwards on the ship.. never could use it again. Just bought another one for home.. but the ship can also have brown outs, where the voltage drops. I admit to still bringing a electric lighted clock so I can see the time when I wake up at night.

PS my last cruise they forgot my wake up call .. and I had gone down to the purser's desk the afternoon the day before and watched that they wrote it down correctly. .. and not the first time they missed. I admit I cruise a lot, so maybe the odds are good of mistakes.
Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hair dryers

Just an update on Ecstasy cruise. They did not have a hair dryer in room and we had no problem getting my wife's hairdryer delivered with bags.
Thanks everyone.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Toby, thanks for the update...hope your cruise was great!

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Your picture of the book and tea reminds me of my wife on a cruise. In the little cove bench seat at the coffe shop with her IPAD. For me it's the water slide and serenity deck. Going on the Breeze next October and can't wait to see the two water slides and the full deck serenity deck. A 67 year old perpetual kid.
Every cruise is a great cruise Because we make it so. I have never understood the complaints about cruising with Carnival. Unless the ship sinks, I'am having fun.