Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sunshine Transatlantic

We are planning to book the SUNSHINE transatlantic from Barcelona to New Orleans on Nov. 1st. My PVP tells me she can arrange one way airfare to Barcelona at a much reduced price than booking the flight ourselves.
Have any of you done this and how was the transfer handled from the Barcelona airport to the ship? After between 16-18 hours from New Orleans to Barcelona I doubt we will be too awake to pay attention.
Please give us some advice.
Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobytovar View Post
We are planning to book the SUNSHINE transatlantic from Barcelona to New Orleans on Nov. 1st. My PVP tells me she can arrange one way airfare to Barcelona at a much reduced price than booking the flight ourselves.
Have any of you done this and how was the transfer handled from the Barcelona airport to the ship? After between 16-18 hours from New Orleans to Barcelona I doubt we will be too awake to pay attention.
Please give us some advice.
Thank you,
The only way to find out is to check. See what the price of BCN - MSY, one way is and then compare that to the price of cruise line airfare.

For domestic flights, cruise line air is rarely a "good deal". It usually costs more and/or the routing is ridiculous.

Right now: I see the lowest fare for BCN to MSY to be around: $1734/pp on US Air.

You can always do the old trick of booking a round trip ticket from BCN - MSY and not use the return. The total for that, on Delta, is $1115.69. It is technically not allowed but I doubt the Delta Police will come knocking at your door.

I STRONGLY suggest that you fly in, a minimum, of one day early to avoid any issues with delays, missed flights or cancellations. Also, Barcelona is a great city and you will enjoy taking, at least, a day to see some of it.

The distance from the airport to the port is not too far and is a maximum of a 30 Euro cab ride. If you do come in the day of the cruise and use the cruise line transfers then a Carnival representative will be standing, just outside of the secured area. The will have a sign over their head and will direct you to the bus that will take you to the ship.

I still strongly advocate coming in a day early and just do a cab from airport to your hotel and the hotel to the port.

If you have any more questions please ask.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Captain

If you don't mind 2 stops it's $790 with air canada. Try searching with momondo.

Be aware booking with the cruiseline does not give any gaurantees beyond going through the airline. If you miss the ship due to plane being late it's not the cruiselines fault, they simply offer the service to book through them and sometimes get a discount for the volume.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Often cruise line air is worth looking at for one way flights. Not sure if it still does, but it used to include transfers from the airport to the ship. In addition, with cruise air, they would guarantee you would get to the ship before it sailed, or it was on Carnival to get you to the next port.