CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival Destiny having Thruster Issues (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/394309-carnival-destiny-having-thruster-issues.html)

Beau222 January 23rd, 2013 11:47 PM

Carnival Destiny having Thruster Issues

A friend of mine is currently on the Destiny and She texted that Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk are substituted with Freeport and Nassau. She said they spent yesterday doing figure eights and circles. Another site says that Carnival is offering them $50.00 OBC for the inconvenience. The ship had to alter original ports since they did not have any tug support to help dock. Needless to say She is quite upset.

tobytovar January 24th, 2013 07:51 PM

On our cruise on Ecstasy 2 weeks ago we had to make a medical emergency stop at Freeport on the first morning of the cruise. Then we spent 2 hours circling and figure 8's like she mentioned. The announcements said they were calibrating the compasses. Kind of weird trying to adjust to the sun moving all around the deck.
Sorry she had to miss those two ports as they are much better than the ones they eventually went to. $50 seems pretty meager for the change.

green_rd January 25th, 2013 08:42 AM

The OBC was probably refunded port charges, though might have been compensation. But,hey, everyone is still on a cruise, there will be just as mich food, service and entertainment as if the ship went on its original itinerary. hMC and Grand Turk are pretty much just beach stops - hope it is warm

Phil&Liz January 27th, 2013 06:03 PM

This is the "new" Sunshine ship.

Maybe during the refurb it can get new thrusters!

Heuvel January 31st, 2013 02:44 PM

Honeymoon

Me and my wife were on the Destiny last week. The schedule change was really the worst thing to happen. We are from The Netherlands (sorry if my English isn't wonderfull) and came to Miami to take this cruise for our honeymoon. We had to travel almost 24-hours and pay $3000,- for fly- and cruise (cheapest cabin). My wifes big dream was to go horsebackriding on the beautifull beach of Half Moon Cay, so this was were we had to go.

But we didnt go there, when we came in our cabin we found out the schedule was changed. They emailed the day before, but we couldnt check our email at that time (traveling already). So we had no choice then to stay on the ship and both get a whoppin $50,- OBC. Thats like 3,33% discount, WOW.

We tried to make the best of it, we had to because it was out honeymoon, we went to complain at Guest Services, but nobody could do anything for us. So we just had to have peace with it.

But now back home we are really upset about it, we had a chat with someone from the booking agency, she contacted Carnival. They sent us an email, in short: "They thank us for choosing Carnival for our honeymoon and congratulate us. They really regret it, but easily won't do **** for us."

We both really enjoyed cruising for the first time, but our honeymoon dreams didnt come true, we probably can't afford a cruise or a nice travel in the coming years, so we are really sad about it.

I hope we will be able to do it someday!! And I hope Carnival will do better in the future for their clients, and make sure their ships are in good condition. Weather problems oke, but engine problems is their own fault!!!

Paul Motter January 31st, 2013 03:18 PM

So so sorry Heuval.

I don't know what ports you went to, but horseback riding is offered on many of them, including Jamaica, St, John (I believe) and others.

I went horsebacking on Jamaica a few years ago and it was really fun (even went in the water).

Paul Motter January 31st, 2013 03:24 PM

It's a good thing the ship is about to have a complete refurbishment of almost 45 days! She starts across the Atlantic with her next cruise.

(this is the biggest refurb job in years. since the days when they used to stretch ships).

ToAdam12 February 1st, 2013 12:20 AM

Truthfully I would like to see them do a complete over haul of their fantasy class ships. Carnival seems to want to keep these ships in service. I know they did upgrade fantasy class ships in their first evolution of fun re ferb. My first cruise was on the Imagination and now I am going on her all most 10 years latter I think it closer to 8 but who counting. The one thing that still remains is that old Vegas feel that the ship has. The one big complante that I see in all these reviews is everyone complaing how old the ship looks. One guy even thought that it had amenties like Guys Burger joint and all that other stuff that they are adding to the Density or Sunshine or whatever!!!! lol.

Peddler February 1st, 2013 10:15 AM

Is it just me or am I seeing a common problem with Fincantieri built ships and thruster issues? Destiny, Dream, Magic, and I believe another that I can't recall.:confused:

Paul Motter February 1st, 2013 11:43 AM

And Carnival ships. There are different makers of pods & thrusters, and usually it is the pods that go bad.

Snoozeman February 2nd, 2013 12:04 AM

Carnival won't (maybe can't) use pods any longer.

They did add that 3rd thruster to the Breeze at the last moment....

ToAdam12 February 2nd, 2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1463214)
Carnival won't (maybe can't) use pods any longer.

They did add that 3rd thruster to the Breeze at the last moment....

Not Gonna lie it still leaves me breathless that these ships don't have more problems. Many of Carnivals ships are old. But they still keep on moving.