Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default A Bad Cruise. REALLY?

I realize that everyone has an opinion about what they expect from a cruise. I have seen a number of threads about how bad the experience was on a cruise. I wonder what were your expectations? I have sailed on several cruise lines besides Carnival but my last 7 cruises have been on Carnival. 3 on Conquest, 2 on Ecstasy, Miracle, and Fascination. Booked for the Breeze in Oct. Why Carnival? Price, Value, Fun, laid back vacation. I will admit I never saw anyone in the buffet line in a bathrobe on Princess or Cunard but what the heck...that's their idea of a cruise. A cruise is what you make of it. You aren't wearing a tuxedo on elegant night, you can act a fool at the 10 p.m. deck party without being out of place, OR you can be as regal and dressed up as you want. That's Carnival. Every cruise is like the first. You get that tingle about two weeks before you sail and every day seems longer than the last and every minute sitting in the crise terminal seems like an hour until you walk onto that ship. Then...You look up at the Atrium and it is....
I'am Back.
What are your " Tingly" moments on a cruise?
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Captain

I don't think I could have said that any better myself! I agree with everything you said 100%!

We leave on cruise #6 just 20ish days after you get on Breeze

Carnival is the only line we have been on and we love the more laid back, be yourself, type of cruise. After all, Carnival are the "Fun Ships" and we wouldn't want to be any more upscale than what Carnival already is. That is NOT who we are. As far as cruising on Carnival is concerned, our opinion is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". We currently have no interest to cruise on any other line. Every time we go on a Carnival cruise we feel even more "at home".

"Tingly" moments? Hmmmm, I would day the first sunny day I get chance to sit on our balcony and listen to "Mexico" by James Taylor on my iPod (Even if we're not on our way to Mexico ).

I would say the best feeling though is day one when we get on the ship and order our first umbrella drink at the bar! At that moment every worry disappears, work and any problems are all forgotten and I say to myself, "Ah, the vacation starts NOW!"

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006

Last edited by krunch; January 24th, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Admiral

I love what you said tobytovar, your so right on!
I'm a Carnival fan for all the reasons you stated.
BRAVO!!!
My special time is the first night on my balcony looking up at the stars and out to the sea and feeling miles away from any thoughts...just pure peace.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Admiral

It is amazing how many cruises are "ruined" because other cruiser don't live up to expectations.

Best tingly is arriving at port and looking at that big beautiful ship

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

The first time you step out onto your balcony..
I cant wait!!

Old January 25th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Admiral

I must add I get that great feeling when I first book also!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Captain

I was on conquest during Ike and think Carnival mishandled the resulting bruhaha. Carnival did not allow anyone to cancel .. and who knew on Sunday that Ike would hit that Friday and wipe out our cars? Not a good cruise to me.

I have had some other times, mostly good .. a few things like getting sick on both B2Bs so the 2nd week was less than fun. Not Carnival's fault .. but its not fun to be sick either.

To say no one can possibly have a less than good cruise to me makes zero sense. Sometimes things do go wrong. I don't understand why people on forums are so intolerant of people who have a complaint about their cruise. I still love to cruise, but I can't say I have never had a negative experience, in fact I was close to saying I would never cruise on Carnival again that one time.
Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry about that cruise. Wrong of Carnival to insist you travel in dangerous waters. I Lived in Houston during IKE and was without power for 13 days. Even then I think I would have rather been on a cruise. I was on the Conquest during a storm coming back from Cozumel and only good thing about that was the line at the buffet was shorter. Gotta love Dramamine.
Hope your other cruises have been better,
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobytovar View Post
Sorry about that cruise. Wrong of Carnival to insist you travel in dangerous waters. I Lived in Houston during IKE and was without power for 13 days. Even then I think I would have rather been on a cruise. I was on the Conquest during a storm coming back from Cozumel and only good thing about that was the line at the buffet was shorter. Gotta love Dramamine.
Hope your other cruises have been better,
See exactly what I mean .. its easy to judge. Even people like you who lived close to Galveston who could have gotten to their cars and moved them to safety, they would rather have been home when Ike struck and not worrying about their homes from afar. If you remember Ike made the turn less than 24 hours before it hit Galveston .. so there wasnt time for those who lived further to get anyone to Galveston to get their cars out. Most on the ship lost their cars.

I never saw my car again, and lost all the contents because I didnt have homeowners insurance. I had all the CDs I owned on that trip to listen to in the car, in a folder I never got back. I had lived in Hawaii and bought a lot of very old Hawaiian music that I lost.

I think its too easy for people to judge that all cruises are nothing but good and complaints are never valid. .. like you jumping in and saying you would rather have been on the cruise (and lost your car) than at home during the storm. I live north of Dallas and parked at EZCruise .. and to this day remain loyal to them for guarding my car from tow trucks until Allstate finally showed up. Allstate was one of the last insurance companies to finally show up and by then Galveston had given tow trucks permission to tow any cars they could get to. I was on the phone daily to Cindy the owner of EZCruise.

I know I didnt sleep well during the cruise, worried. That did not enhance my cruise experience. Spent a extra $200 on drugs for my sister in Cozumel when they told us they didnt know when we could go back to the U.S. or where .. so I got a extra weeks worth of drugs for cash and paid $60 for prescriptions at the hospital in Cozumel, plus cab etc. fun fun fun Just what I wanted to do while in Cozumel for 24 hours.. got to the hospital and drug store and get to a phone making emergency calls trying to figure out a way to get someone all the way to get my car.. Impossible.

My parents are elderly and I live north of Dallas, no way to get anyone to get to Galveston to get to my car and get keys to them.

Carnival gave us 12 hours notice of going into New Orleans, but didnt have phone numbers set up .. so I spent all that night trying to get a outside line to rent a car. 2 hours sleep that night. Stand in line 4 hours at the pursers desk to make a call. If you called from your cabin, they just hung up on you (one of my complaints when I wrote and complained how they handled it). I was with a HC lady who was calling the desk trying to set up HC disembarkation from the ship. The pursers desk was overwhelmed. We were told after 5 pm on sunday night the ship would pull into New Orleans and we had to get off the ship for customs but could get back on the ship .. nothing was known past that point for another 24 hours .. so I got a rental car and got the people back to Dallas I was responsible for. I was long gone by Monday night when they got permission to go back to Houston with the ship.

Pretty expensive cruise with the extra drugs and rental car and losing my own car and contents. Carnival's contribution was one free phone call. No other help .. and it was a mess onboard with everyone trying to make arrangements. So, you really would rather have gone thru this than be at home where you could keep a eye on your house when Ike hit? Ive been thru several, at least 3 hurricanes when I lived in Florida, and glad I was home to take care of things, move patio furniture etc. But thats me.
Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14

Last edited by flowers; January 26th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Captain

I think it's ok to say YOU never had a bad cruise .. but when you say no one else could possibly have had a bad cruise, that complaints are not valid, its because they didnt adapt .. that's when I object.

btw, New Orleans was closed, the river had problems and NOLA cruises were going out of Mobile when this happened.. so they had to wake up customs agents to get us off the ship. The HC folks came to get us at 9 am and then we had #35 of 42 .. and our number was not called until 1:30 .. so we sat there with no food until afternoon and then got off in a tropical storm so bad the taxi driver would not help us with the luggage, just sat it out in the parking lot and drove off. Of course our friend turned over her walker with everything in the storage I had to pick up ..

A lot of the problems were not Carnival's fault .. but claiming no one can ever have a bad cruise has no right to judge other's cruises. Things can happen that are not fun and make for a bad cruise.

When I hear someone say there is no such thing as a bad cruise and being judgemental .. I say they should keep to their own cruises.. and say they never had a bad cruise .. not that no one else could have had a bad cruise.

I just had a friend who came down with pneumonia on a cruise and spent the whole cruise in the infirmary .. I bet wasnt her favorite cruise.

Im not saying its the cruiselines fault (before someone jumps down my throat, dont read that into what Im saying) .. but sometimes circumstances make a cruise not fun.

Judge not others experiences ..... stick to your own experiences.
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry you took it that way. I meant that I would have rather been on any cruise than spending 13 hours without power, air conditioning, the ability to take a hot shower, and eat out of cans for 13 days. I realize that a lot of cars were underwater and lost and the problems of getting home from La Porte were horrible. That was not what kind of a problem I was talking about. I was addressing my comments to a normal cruise without such a catastrophic event as Ike. Again sorry for you particular problems. They were not the type of cruise I was addressing.
Sorry if my comments offended you.
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to CDrescher

I think you missed the op's point. It wasn't that you can't have a less then perfect cruise. It was about the number of people who go on a Carnival cruise then complain, that its not the same cruise you would have on Cuarad. We had a couple at the table in the MDR on cruise who after the second nigh wouldn't eat in the MDR. Thier complaint was that guys were aloowed to wear polo shirts and slacks. They claimed it being a cruise every night a gentleman should be in at least a suit and tie. As the OP was saying their complaint was that they had the worng idea of a Carnival cruise.
2010 Carnival Spirit Mexican Rivera
2012 Carnival Freedom Exotic W. Caribbein

Carnival Freedom
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to CDrescher

I think you might have gotten the idea of the idea the OP was making. Its not that you can't have a bad exprince on a cruise, everyone who has been a cruise has had 1 or 2. But there have been lots of complaints latly about Carnival, that center around issues such as the length of lines at the buffett, the way peole are dressed in the MDR, the length of time for dinner, the number of people around the pools, etc. And his point was that they are complainning cause they got on a ship with roughly 3000 other people, but were not being treated as the only ones on board. Which means that thier "bad times" were due to thier own expections and not of any fault of anyone else.
2010 Carnival Spirit Mexican Rivera
2012 Carnival Freedom Exotic W. Caribbein

Carnival Freedom
Old January 28th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank You. That is exactly what I meant in the original post.
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12

I have had a bad experience on a cruise. But I simply made the best out of it. Very simply put I love to cruise. I love everything about. Getting to the doc and feeling so grand walking on the my home for the next whatever days. I get when stuff happens that no one control like a hurricane or whatever. Can and would frustrate anyone but, a positive out look can brighten any day.
CCL Destiny 5 Day Eastern 2009
CCL Fascination 5 Day Western 2008
RCI Majsity Of The Seas 4 Day Eastern 2007
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2005
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Admiral

All of my cruises have been great, and I can't complain about a little negative here and there.
However there are people who love to complain and they will allways find something that does not appeal to them.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Admiral

I've had two disappointing cruises...
one due to bad weather all week...(not the cruiselines fault)
and the other due to lack of entertainment onboard.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 1st, 2013, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Sadly, I think today we have more "tourists" than travelers.

It is called "travel" for a reason.....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:32 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
All of my cruises have been great, and I can't complain about a little negative here and there.
However there are people who love to complain and they will allways find something that does not appeal to them.

TM
Ask the complainers if this does not beat staying at home? you have them either way. Right?
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Even after 125 or so cruises, I still get that "tingly feeling" when entering the atrium on embarkation day. I may have been aboard that particular ship 10 or 12 times, but it's the knowledge that we're about to embark on a week of fun, relaxation, and meeting lots of new friends that brings it all together. Yes, there have been some "rough times" aboard cruises, but so few that I don't even think about them, and I absolutely DON'T let negativity of another cruiser ruin my vacation.

"SKY"
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Great thread.....

....Also loyal to EZCruise Parking

....there are legit complaints, but I do not care for 'complainers' who just do it as part of their nature.

....I'm glad Carnival now has a 'habitual complainers' list of guests.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I get the "tingly" feeling as soon as I make the initial deposit on my cruise. When I arrive at the port and get my first glimpse of that magnificent ship rhat is waiting for me I have been known to weep.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
I was on conquest during Ike and think Carnival mishandled the resulting bruhaha. Carnival did not allow anyone to cancel .. and who knew on Sunday that Ike would hit that Friday and wipe out our cars? Not a good cruise to me.

I have had some other times, mostly good .. a few things like getting sick on both B2Bs so the 2nd week was less than fun. Not Carnival's fault .. but its not fun to be sick either.

To say no one can possibly have a less than good cruise to me makes zero sense. Sometimes things do go wrong. I don't understand why people on forums are so intolerant of people who have a complaint about their cruise. I still love to cruise, but I can't say I have never had a negative experience, in fact I was close to saying I would never cruise on Carnival again that one time.

If anyone did not want to go on this cruise, just cancel and file it with your travel insurace.....

no one is "forced" to ever go on any cruise.

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
If anyone did not want to go on this cruise, just cancel and file it with your travel insurace.....

no one is "forced" to ever go on any cruise.
It isn't that easy. Most insurance policies don't pay for "I don't want to go." If the cruise departs then you go.

It is true that no one is forced to go on a cruise but that doesn't mean you'll get your money back if you don't.

The Ike cruise was a bad cruise. I do agree that when people have one or two small things go wrong and make a big stink about it then they are just complaining for the sake of complaining and everything else will be bad. I always wonder how they handle things in their daily lives.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
It isn't that easy. Most insurance policies don't pay for "I don't want to go." If the cruise departs then you go.

It is true that no one is forced to go on a cruise but that doesn't mean you'll get your money back if you don't.

The Ike cruise was a bad cruise. I do agree that when people have one or two small things go wrong and make a big stink about it then they are just complaining for the sake of complaining and everything else will be bad. I always wonder how they handle things in their daily lives.

Take care,
Mike

Something I learned recently (in case others do not know) ...Carnival's insurance does indeed cover ANY reason (even just changing your mind).....

you do not get your money back if you "just change your mind"...but you get 75% in a future cruise credit.

and this does not cost you any extra, it is in Carnival's regular policy.

Old February 7th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Captain

My friend who spent the last 5 days of a 7 day cruise in the infirmary made the most of it? She lost a lot of weight, which most women like and got to flirt a lot with the doctor, or maybe it was him flirting with her? He wanted to keep in touch after the cruise. She is married.

Of course its not the cruiseline's fault she came down with pneumonia, sometimes things just happen. Even though she made the most of the situation, I still think there are times you have a bad cruise through no one's fault. It cant be foreseen. Its not a matter of just making the most of the cruise etc as the premise was put forth. No one would choose to be sick and in the infirmary 5 days of a 7 day cruise. She did say they took wonderful care of her.
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:56 PM
First Mate

The only bad cruise I had was the Carnival Splendour in Nov 2010 when it caught fire the 1st day out. We made the best of it. It could of been worse.

I believe all cruises are fun and if you expect too much is when you run into disappointment. Go, enjoy yourself and be happy you are on vacation exploring something new.

Cant' wait for my 1st cruise on the east coast. Will be taking the Dream in April 2013 to the Carribean...our 1st time back on a ship since the fire.
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old February 9th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I never realized I was going to open up this hornets nest when I did the original post but it has been fun reading the replies.
Toby
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:48 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple View Post
Ask the complainers if this does not beat staying at home? you have them either way. Right?
Although I wouldn't classify myself as a complainer, on my cruise on Princess in December 2011 I would have much rather have stayed home.

It would have definitely been better than that cruise.

Bill
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Okay... so this TRIUMPH cruise registers as a BAD CRUISE.

That must have been a really, really bad time.