Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennc View Post
This issue with the passports for US Citizens totally confuses me.

Being from Canada I cannot understand the reluctance of some US citizens to get a passport. It is the ultimate in identification and allows for ease of travel around the world
What are you scared of people? Get a passport.
Reasoning is, It's a closed loop cruise we don't need one.
Another reason, we're lazy ...

I have mine.
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Most media still saying Thursday night arrival in Mobile, including Fox News now, although earlier this morning in their interview with the Coast Guard commander on the scene, he definitely said 'the 13th'. Here is the video (short commercial first) Food, supplies transferred to stranded cruise ship | Fox News Video
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Admiral

My heart go out to those passengers onboard the Triumph. Really sad that their vacation turned for the worst. Hopefully Carnival is making them as comfortable as possible under the current situation. Splendor and now Triumph. Wow.
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Wait until the 2,000 or so passengers who do not have passports try to fly back to the USA.
No passport = no flight.

It's about a three day bus ride from the Yucatan back to the US Border.
Gerry Cahill reported there were about 900 of them. Far more than I ever thought.
Old February 12th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Familiar Face

Not true. Carnival has decided to tow the ship to Mobile, AL. They will be flown to their home states from there. Trying to fly these people, many of whom most likely do not posess passports, would have been a logistical nightmare.
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Many people skip the passport because they are trying to save a few bucks (what is it now around $100?) With a family the cost does add it. But here is a situation where it is could be penny-wise and pound -foolish. Nobody ever thinks they will do anything but return to their port of embarkation on board ship. But stuff happens.

[of course I have to hide the DW's passport to keep her from jumping ship ]

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Hoping for a safe return for all those poor cruisers and crew....
Sleeping in public areas, onion sandwiches, when the hamburgers were available the wait was hours, fights breaking out due to food, urine and feces aroma - you do what you have to BUT your potty is a plastic bag...that would make me very very miserable.

Family members of those onboard stated on FB ship is coming back Thursday. Hotels booked for the overnight stay. Friday flights out. Also anyone that wants to leave right away there will be buses available. Also medical teams onsite for anyone needing medical assistance.

Hope everyone comes back in good health and can put this horrible experience behind them and hopefully continue to cruise in the future.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Here is the latest update, right from the source...

Carnival Triumph Press Conference February 12,2013 - YouTube

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 13th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Captain

They run those engines 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Expect the occasional fire or breakdown...(The cruise lines do, and have insurance) Also, its cheaper to lowball those unfortunate people who experience this, than to design & retrofit effective backup systems. Its all about the money.

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default unsanitary

WHAT is going on there?? Bags for bathrooms?! walking through sewage?? onion sandwiches?? Gotta wonder how much is disgruntled passengers trying to paint a picture for the media vs what the real story is?

From CNN:

The cruise ship left Galveston, Texas, for a Caribbean tour last week and was scheduled to arrive back there Monday.
That day, her husband phoned, still stranded at sea. The sanitary situation had already begun to deteriorate on board the Triumph.
"He said that the conditions have gotten so bad that they're asking them to use the restroom in bags, and they were eating onion sandwiches," McKerreghan said.
The call was the last she has heard from them.
Much of the ship's electrical power went down in the fire, causing widespread malfunctions, including taking out sanitary systems.
Passengers have reported sewage sloshing around in hallways, flooded rooms and trouble getting enough to eat.
"It's disgusting. It's the worst thing ever," passenger Ann Barlow told CNN.
"From what I understand, they're walking around in a lot of urine and fecal matter, and the sewers are backing up," McKerreghan said. Her doctor gave her antibiotics to give her daughter as soon as she gets on land. A checkup will follow as soon as possible.
Passenger Jet Hilton from Crawfordsville, Indiana, has relied on her sense of humor to get through the ordeal, her sister Jennifer Stanfield told CNN affiliate WTHR.
Four thousand people on a stranded ship can't flush, Hilton jokingly messaged Stanfield to vent about the stench on board.
Carnival has said that most of the Triumph's 23 public restrooms and some others are working. But with the large number of people on board, they will at least have to stand in line.
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Admiral

I read yesterday that passengers are defecating in hallways -DISGUSTING .
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

From what I've read today, she should arrive in port sometimes tomorrow, so the end is near....These are truly awful stories, I am sure some are worse than others, but still not a fun time..

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Admiral

The media hyperbole is ridiculous though. I just heard one anchor call it a "horror movie at sea". "Disaster" is also tossed around recklessly. Costa Concordia was a disaster.
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Admiral

It appears 14 sailings of Triumph have now been cancelled, in total.
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The media.................??????

It is ridiculous - they will say anything they can get away with, just like the national enquirer.

I can't wait until the truth comes out about conditions so we can see how it really is.

One question - have you EVER seen a "tent" on a cruise ship? I haven't.

The media will take any statement a person makes and use it to paint a picture of the entire situation. I really hate the media in this country - especially CNN.

However - you also have a fault Carnival for not clearing up some of these rumors. Why did Gerry Cahill only say "there is no doubt things are really bad onboard now,"

That leads me to believe the worst of what I have heard in the media. Is that what Carnival really wants.

Splendor was made into a success story, because John Heald and the Navy stepped up and acted like heros. We can't ask the navy the step in now, but fer chrissakes - why doesn't CARNIVAL step up and say "we've brought in supplies, we're bringing up food hand to hand" like they did on Splendor. Why don't they accent the positive?
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
I read yesterday that passengers are defecating in hallways -DISGUSTING .
That's what you get for reading the New York Times

Seriously - where did you read that, and are you saying you believed it?

If they HAD to they could set up a poop station on the rope deck for people to go over the side, there is no reason to poop in a hallway.

Of all the idiocy.
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Admiral

First of all, not being there, I have no idea of what the conditions really are but, here's a couple of statements I've heard that make me wonder :
Onion Sandwiches ??? Gimme a break!
Setting up tents? Like Paul said --where did the tents come from? After 40+ cruises, I've never seen a tent on a ship.
No food?? At least 3 other Carnival ships have delivered food to the Triumph. The Coast Guard is along side and to date, they have not been asked for food nor medical help so apparently no one is starving.
Anyone never eat cold weenies or sandwiches at home?? Again, onion and cucumber sandwiches?? My God--I have to question this.

And, as regards to Carnival handling the problem, I can imagine having to try to make last minute arrangements for thousands of people via Air and ground transportation, especially with the attitude some of the people must surely be displaying.
But too, I have to say, I watched Jerry Cahill give a short spiel re / the situation and in all honesty, he did more harm than good--Carnival should have had anyone but him give out the information--I have my doubts about his ability as a CEO.
I imagine when the ship does dock, the lawyers will be lined up at the dock waving signs and no doubt, the media will be there by the dozens, seeking out the passengers with the worst comments that they possibly can find.
Yes, it was an accident that ruined a lot of peoples vacations. Accidents happen--that's life--luckily in this case no one was hurt nor killed. It could have been much, much worse.
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Cahill was quite awful in the press conference. I was waiting for him to start crying at one point as he seemed on the verge of it. Maybe he should get to Mobile and be on the pier. Perhaps he will. Carnival would be better served if John Heald was on the pier to greet the ship.

Many of the media reports are using info from two or three days ago, as though it is still the case. I saw a phone interview this morning of a guest's husband. He last heard from his wife on Monday but they portrayed it as a report of the current conditions. Since he last talked to his wife they have reported gaining ground on restoring toilets and getting the buffet partially back in service.
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I was at the Carnival Splendor when it arrived and it was a "media circus" - I was among those camped out and the first person I happened to talk to said she had a ball and that the staff was amazing.

But in that situation we were already hearing about the staff handing food up the stairways long before the ship docked. There was news coming out from the ship all the time.

We know there has to be communication from ship to Carnival's HQ - so if the situation is that bad - why wouldn't carnival be doing something about it? They could drop off pails & mops.

The answer is this - they ARE doing something about it. The crew is not all assembled on there little piece of open deck smoking cigarettes. They are cleaning a "sewage" off the walls. They are preparing food, etc.

I do expect to hear about some unruly passengers, and the "alcohol" thing is not clear. There are reports that they are not serving alcohol, but they did on Splendor and it seems to me that didn't hurt anything.

Once again - Carnival needs to be more out front on this. But knowing Cahill, he is probably more concerned with logistics right now than PR.
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

And yes - no mention of the Cruise Director - Heald was a total hero, my interview with him after Splendor was inspiring.

There is an adage in public relations - when thing are bad you never deny, you own up to it.

However - in this case that is the completely wrong approach. This is the time to show the world how great the Carnival staff is. Talk about the solutions, not the problems.

No one has died - stop making it sound like a concentration camp.
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Admiral

There is no question the conditions onboard are miserable We are getting horror sound bites from the calls and texts home, and the media is digging deep for adjectives like savage....I heard...the passengers are turning savage....what??????

The tent cities they are referring to, are the mattresses,and sheets being shlepped up to the lido deck, for sleeping.

Not for one minute do I believe people are defecating in the hallways....no...just, no....

One crazy thing I heard is one guest saying.."why can't they just get us off the ship"! Helllooooooo moron!!

Old February 13th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Their are ignorant comments all over the place on social media sites asking the 'why don't they just send another ship to transfer the people?' I really wonder about the intelligence of some people who portray themselves as experienced cruisers. Beyond the fact they don't have spare cruise ships sitting around ready to launch rescue efforts, as Paul has said, the dangers of transferring 3000 guests in open ocean are too risky. They are safe where they are.

Then there are those who say they should have offloaded passengers to the other ships that rendezvoused with Triumph. Right. Brilliant idea. So put a double load of people on another ship. Now you have 6000 people who are put out, angry, and have ruined vacations, plus the fact that the other ship would not have adequate facilities and more importantly, it would not have enough lifeboat capacity for that many people. People need to think.
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to oteixeira Send a message via Yahoo to oteixeira

These stories never change. The range of stories are as wide as the range of types of families on these ships. Some people will debark and say that Carnival did everything they could, and they were pretty comfortable considering. Others will debark and tell you they are never going on another ship again.

Here is the deal, some rest rooms are working, but not enough for everyone, I am guessing the worst stories are coming from people in the inside/lower rooms, as the smell would be harder to get away from.

I never cruise without taking a balcony. For me, half the reason to be on that boat is to wake up, open that door, and drink a coffee while looking over the ocean and taking in the breeze.

Oh well, I would not hesitate to cruise with them in the future, and I am sure the women being interviewed (have you noticed it's the same two moms on every station, can you say fishing for a settlement?) are lying some.

Orlando
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oteixeira View Post
These stories never change. The range of stories are as wide as the range of types of families on these ships. Some people will debark and say that Carnival did everything they could, and they were pretty comfortable considering. Others will debark and tell you they are never going on another ship again.

Here is the deal, some rest rooms are working, but not enough for everyone, I am guessing the worst stories are coming from people in the inside/lower rooms, as the smell would be harder to get away from.

I never cruise without taking a balcony. For me, half the reason to be on that boat is to wake up, open that door, and drink a coffee while looking over the ocean and taking in the breeze.

Oh well, I would not hesitate to cruise with them in the future, and I am sure the women being interviewed (have you noticed it's the same two moms on every station, can you say fishing for a settlement?) are lying some.

Orlando
I couldn't agree more, especially on the balcony...no balcony...no cruise!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Captain

From the Carnival website:

CARNIVAL TRIUMPH STATEMENT

Update on Carnival Triumph February 13, 2013 – 2:30pm EST

Carnival has dispatched a third tugboat to assist in towing Carnival Triumph to port. The tugboat is currently en route from Port Fourchon, Louisiana and is expected to arrive at the ship this evening to further support the vessel’s return to Mobile, Alabama on Thursday. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to be on the scene as the ship is in tow.

We are mobilizing approximately 200 people to be on the ground in Mobile to support the Carnival Triumph’s arrival and guests’ travel home.

We are currently finalizing travel arrangements for guests from Mobile. Carnival Triumph guests were given the option of boarding buses directly to Galveston or Houston, Texas, or to spend the night in a hotel in New Orleans, where they could rest before flying out on private charters the next day. Carnival will cover all travel related and incidental expenses.

Carnival has reserved and arranged the following: approximately 100 motor coaches; more than 1,500 New Orleans hotel rooms; multiple charter flights from New Orleans to Houston on Friday; and transportation from Houston to the Port of Galveston so that guests may retrieve their cars if they drove to the port.

There are 3,143 guests and 1,086 crew on board. We continue to update the designated emergency contacts for all guests presently on board Carnival Triumph. Concerned family and loved ones of guests and crew may call 888.290.5095 or 305.406.5534.

Upcoming Voyages

Carnival Cruise Lines has also announced the cancellations of 12 additional voyages of the Carnival Triumph. The 12 cancelled cruises, which encompass sailings from Feb. 21 through April 13, 2013, are in addition to two previously cancelled voyages scheduled to depart Feb. 11 and Feb. 16.

Guests on the affected sailings will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, as well as non-refundable transportation costs, pre-paid shore excursions, gratuities, and government fees and taxes. Guests will also receive a 25 percent discount on a future three- to five-day Carnival cruise or a 15 percent discount on a six- to seven-day cruise. Travel agent commissions will be protected.

Carnival sincerely apologizes for this disruption in our guests’ vacation plans.

Carnival Triumph operates four- and five-day cruises from Galveston, Texas. The current Carnival Triumph voyage departed Galveston, Texas, on Thursday, February 7 and was scheduled to return on Monday, Feb. 11.

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
That's what you get for reading the New York Times

Seriously - where did you read that, and are you saying you believed it?

If they HAD to they could set up a poop station on the rope deck for people to go over the side, there is no reason to poop in a hallway.

Of all the idiocy.

I read that in the NY Daily News . I have the paper here .
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Carnival just announced that each guest currently aboard Triumph will also receive $500 in addition to the previously announced compensation.
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Default More compensation for passengers

Latest Update on Carnival Triumph February 13, 2013 5:45pm EST

Carnival Cruise Lines has announced further compensation for the passengers aboard the Carnival Triumph, currently being towed via tug boats to Mobile, Alabama after an engine room fire early Sunday caused a loss of propulsion.
All guests on the current voyage will receive further compensation of $500.00 per person.

Gerry Cahill, President & CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines said: "We know it has been a longer journey back than we anticipated at the beginning of the week under very challenging circumstances. We are very sorry for what our guests have had to endure. Therefore, in addition to the full refund and future cruise credit already offered, we have decided to provide this additional compensation. I look forward to welcoming everyone to Mobile tomorrow and have mobilized our full resources to assist and support them as they travel home."

As previously announced, all 3,143 guests on board will receive a full refund of the cruise along with transportation expenses and reimbursement of all shipboard purchases during the voyage, with the exception of gift shop, art purchases and casino charges. All passengers will also receive a future cruise credit equal to the amount paid for this voyage.

Old February 13th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

This horrible cruise will cost mucho dollars from Carnival. Now, all these people have to get home, etc...I wish everyone a safe journey home and hope, that one day they will consider another cruise...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Admiral

I'm sure it will be a zoo in Mobile tomorrow, with both media and lawyers at the cruise terminal. I thought about driving down (~5 hours) but figured why bother? I know someone who is aboard and he is quite rational. I'll just get the true story from him.