Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Carnival has to step up and do more than they are required to in order to avoid a PR nightmare. Their stock has dropped in the last few days, as well as other cruise line stock, even with an up DJIA.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Admiral

People on that ship have to be very uncomfortable. Since this is the second sush incidence on Carnival and adding the Concordia tragedy, the cruise industry is bound to take a hit.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2 / 21 / 16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Booked Celebrity Equinox ... 4 / 4 / 16
Old February 13th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

If they HAD to they could set up a poop station on the rope deck for people to go over the side, there is no reason to poop in a hallway.

Is it better to poop on the floor of your cabin?

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Old February 13th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Captain

The Concordia incident, as well as others, appear to me to to have had little effect on bookings.... and Im POSITIVE all cruise lines carry "mechanical and/or incident insurance", so the monetary impact will be, well, not a whole lot, once the underwriters pay out.

The cruise industry will lose a bit of luster off their flagpole... nothing that a few months wont cure. CNN can bleat all they want. Next weekend will bring some new thing to focus their unblinking eye upon.

Who here plans to stop cruising because of this latest thing with the Triumph???? (those are some loud crickets, man)

No cruises booked at this time.

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
Who here plans to stop cruising because of this latest thing with the Triumph???? (those are some loud crickets, man)
My cruise plans won't change because of Triumph. I don't find cruising as exotic as I did when I lived in the Northeast but tha's another story.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Yay it's Thursday they are getting off today!! Let's hope everyone gets off in good health.

The truth will come out regarding conditions onboard. I think there will be some truth to what the media and family members have been reporting. I don't think the conditions were wonderful since Sunday. Hope they get off and report that the conditions were not bad and doable.

As for Pooping in the public areas does not surprise me people do crazy things now a days. There are actually videos online of people doing #1 and #2 in public places...Sick!!!
23 toilets working and over 4,000 people I could see a cruiser pissed off and do that on purpose. Sometimes people can be jerks! Not saying it happened just saying it would not surprise me one bit.

Family members of those onboard said mattresses and sheets were set up as tents on deck because the ship was too warm. We shall see if there is any truth to that.

Hopefully someone onboard has some videos of the conditions. I hope everything we have been hearing was made up by the media....

The comedians both on ships and land will have some new material....Triumph the floating toilet, things to pack for a carnival cruise..food and diapers....the jokes will go on and on.....

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas x2
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Captain

Here is a link to the latest news about this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/us...port.html?_r=0

It sounds like conditions are pretty bad.
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Captain

I'm guessing things were blown way out of reality. Little power, limited food, hot and few facilties it's no picnic but tolerable. Just ask anyone who has been through a hurricane or similar. In Andrew we had no power for weeks, lost everything and several familes moved into one house that was mostly standing.

That being said many people are asshats under normal conditions so I'm sure some staff have been tempted to deck a few of them for not being civil.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Held hostage poor people - what a crime

Although I have only seen media reporting on the fire (so I am speaking as an outsider) I don't understand why Carnival did not tender all the passengers off that ship to other one. Carnival (and its sister companies) have enough ships in the area that they could have disembarked another one at the closest port and sent it back out to tender off the passengers from the stricken ship. It is not as if they haven't had the same issue before and have stranded passengers in untenable conditions. They should have been prepared. Shame on you Carnival!
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Admiral

I feel pretty sure thing are pretty bad on the ship with some areas worse than others, also I believe some people are handling it better than others.
I think when it's not happing to you people get defensive about hearing all the bad if fear other people will speak and think negatively about cruising.

It does make me think off adding a few extra things to my suitcase for my upcoming cruise.

Hopefully everyone is healthy but I'm sure some will take the opportunity to file lawsuits for injuries and other causes.

ALLURE, 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sweet Escape BVI Charter 2015
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Tendering 3000 people in open ocean carries a degree of risk higher than keeping the people aboard the Triumph. Is risking the injury or death of someone worth it as long as the others get back to creature comforts?

You can't overload another ship since the other ship would then have it's own issues, most importantly the fact they they would exceed their lifeboat capacity.

So say they did drop off all the guests from one ship and then head back to the Triumph. What are those 3000 people supposed to do, now effectively stranded in Cozumel? And since they just became landed tourists in Mexico and not cruise passengers, the rules change in the eyes of the Mexican government. And now Carnival has 6000 people to care for and get home under arduous conditions.
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Freeflying doesn't understand why Carnival couldn't simply take the 3000 plus passengers off the Triumph and put them on another ship.
Well, you start a chain re-action. First of all, you would be putting the other ship basically into the same position that Triumph is in-- where are you going to house the extra 3,000 people? On the decks, hallways, or would you have the people on the other ship have to share their cabins, bathrooms, etc with the 3,000 from Triumph?
Then, what about the several thousand others that have had their vacation ruined because of the problems that have been suddenly thrust upon them by bringing another 3,000 or so aboard their ship? Then, instead of having approx. 3,000 unhappy and inconvenienced passengers, you suddenly have
approx. twice that many, etc. So you see, it starts a chain reaction that leads to a total nightmare.
Yes, people are being inconvenienced--no, no one is in danger of drowning.
Would it have been better for all, including Carnival if it hadn't happened at all? Yes--- But--it did happen-did Carnival foresee the engine fire??--No, or they would not have sailed to begin with and there again, you would have had 3,000 passengers up in arms because they did not sail--so, around it goes.
I'm sure that conditions are not as people would like them to be but I'm also just as sure that there are those aboard and ashore, including the media, exploiting every little thing that happens and blowing it all out of proportion.
I saw yesterday a CNN Beauty interviewing 2 mothers who were waiting on the dock at or near Mobile--worried about their 12 year old girls who were aboard--one said she hadn't heard from her daughter since Monday--the mothers had been to a Dr. and gotten antibiotics to give their girls for anything they may have caught while on board. Two things wrong with their story--No. 1, both girls dad's are aboard with them. Can a father not care for a 12 year old girl? Secondly, what reputable Dr. would prescribe a medicine for someone he had not seen, had no idea what type medication they may or may not need, etc. Just prescribing an antibiotic doesn't help
without knowing what you are prescribing it for, or if it was even needed.
The horror tales are going to be un-beliveable and the lawyers are grinning from ear to ear and wringing their hands with glee.
Things happen--wonder how comfortable our combat troops have been since this fiasco with the Triumph?? How many of them would love to have a hot meal and a hot shower and not be shot at for a few hours??
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Good grief! If you believe all the media reports, a 12 cruise cancellation for disinfection and repair won't be enough. Triumph will have to be sold and renamed M.V. Lord or Flies. I remember similar tales about Sensation after her post Katrina relief work.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Carnival VP just held a news conference at the Mobile cruise terminal. The ship just can't get a break it seems. The weather conditions have slowed the flotilla and it will be another 7-10 hours or so until it arrives pier side.

The reporters got ridiculous, with one shouting out asking if it was true there was a fatality aboard. First I've heard that one, and really, if that were true Carnival would be crazy to not admit it.

Then the slip-and-fall lawyer involved in the Concordia lawsuit came on and suggested Carnival Corporation should be sued for 1 billion dollars for both the Concordia and Triumph.
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Admiral

CNN has the best coverage right now. Not sure why Fox and the others haven't sent news helicopters or private planes out to the ship for live video. CNN just interviewed a guest by phone. Close up video of the ship shows people laying under sheets, putting distress signs painted on sheets over their balconies, etc.
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Admiral

From the TV video I have an immediate observation...where is the squalor on the open decks we've been hearing about? They look as clean as they normally would, with deck chairs lined up neatly, no piles of garbage, etc.

Now, no telling what is on the interior but the media has obviously selected the parents with the two 12 year old girls as the designated darlings. We'll be seeing them all over the news channels today, tonight, tomorrow, and for several days to come. Sean Hannity, Piers Morgan, O'Reilly, etc.
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
From the TV video I have an immediate observation...where is the squalor on the open decks we've been hearing about? They look as clean as they normally would, with deck chairs lined up neatly, no piles of garbage, etc.

Now, no telling what is on the interior but the media has obviously selected the parents with the two 12 year old girls as the designated darlings. We'll be seeing them all over the news channels today, tonight, tomorrow, and for several days to come. Sean Hannity, Piers Morgan, O'Reilly, etc.
i was watching live coverage on Local 15 from Mobile, they zoomed in on
what looks like a promenade deck and there were several pax tucked up under blankets on their mattresses. All were waving and looking excited, and cold, but up on deck there were numerous pax just strolling around, dressed in bathrobes and clothes. No one looked distressed.
Then I turned to CNN to watch their coverage and you would have thought everyone on board was on their last legs. Ashley whatsername was the commentator, she was searching for any drama she could find..
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Admiral

The line of questioning by CNN is ridiculous, but sadly not unexpected. Fox News is also guilty. Some new stupid quotes on the TV screen: "floating petri dish", "ship has no power steering" (I wonder if the power brakes still work?).
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I've been reading a lot news reports and other message boards and FB. The one statement that I cannot understand is: "I'd rather be on that ship than here at work or in this cold climate."

I'm sorry but if your job is that bad or you hate the cold that much then quit your job and/or move.

No: I love to cruise and won't even think twice about booking a Carnival cruise but there is no way I would rather be on the Triumph right now.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old February 14th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Ashley Banfield I think is her name--she has been trying for years to really hit the big time and so far, has not. She will be, and is, milking this for all she can get, as will be the attorneys.

There's still people in New England without power, no where to stay, etc but that's old hat, so to speak--news is only as important as long as it can be milked--as soon as something else comes along ( which it will ) the Triumph will be old hat!

The real zoo will began when the ship gets to dock--wouldn't it be nice if someone could set up coverage to cover how the media acts--running over each other, stepping in front of each other, etc--all fighting to reach they few who will tell them what they want to hear.
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Some passengers could play this to their advantage and have CNN arrange a private jet at Mobile, to whisk them quickly home in exchange for exclusive access.
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Captain

One of the female anchors on FOX asked one of the two moms being interviewed, "Don't you wonder why they don't just pull up a boat alongside and offload people into the boat?" .. The mom had been on other cruises and said they were told the water was choppy and it would be too risky to transfer people from the ship to another ship, even a coast guard ship.
Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Yes, I saw that Fox interview. The anchor also asked a leading question of the mothers about whether they would take a cruise again, and the wording implied 'you or your daughters won't take a cruise again, will you?'
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Oh no! CNN just interviewed a husband who had talked to his wife aboard Triumph and she told him things were 'not that bad' and only the first 20 hours or so were tough. They won't interview him again!
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to oteixeira Send a message via Yahoo to oteixeira

They went right from him to a woman on-board talking about "sewage soaked mattresses". CNN knows where their bread is buttered, and it's not with feel good stories.
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Man, broken tow line. They can't catch a break (no pun intended).
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to oteixeira Send a message via Yahoo to oteixeira

If you can tune in now, they claim they have pictures coming up from inside the ship...
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Admiral

They are serving steak and lobster right now. 3pm (central time) news conference scheduled by Carnival.
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have seen a few reports and read a few comments from people that things changed overnight once the Coast Guard and some "big wigs" from Carnival arrived.

Well: Gee, it did. Because a generator also came with them and they were able to restore power to the galley, desalination and sewage handling facilities. The showers and toilets began working. They were able to operate the "Shop Vacs" to clean up the standing water and "stuff". It wasn't because the Coast Guard showed up. It was because a generator showed up.

Take care,
Mike

Old February 14th, 2013, 04:35 PM
First Mate

I know how the guests on the Triumph feel. Although every cruise fire is different...I was on the Splendor when it caught fire in 2010. I read all the reports after and even gave a comment to our local paper when back on shore. One thing that always stood out for me was I kept wondering what ship people were on when all the horrible reports came out because I don't recall it being as bad as it was reported.

I recall feeling bad for the crew that still had to work under the conditions and deal with how horrible some guests could become. I also felt bad for anyone that was disabled and unable to climb up to the 9th floor on our cruise since we had lost total power and didn't have any working elevators. I don't recall starving and the majority of the guests were well behaved. I do remember not wanting to eat any sandwiches for some time when I did get back home.

I feel sorry for the guests aboard the Triumph because they have been on there long enough but on the bright side they were almost done with their cruise when it caught fire and thank God no one was hurt.

Enjoy your refund, take your free cruise and chalk it up to a story you can tell. All in all I would get back on a cruise ship any day....even after a fire.
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)