Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Admiral

My friend aboard Triumph reports on his Facebook account : There was a long line for grilled burgers, but there was other food available, and the spirits of the passengers are pretty good.
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Admiral

I'm sorry if I'm misreading some posts but I have no doubt that the conditions on the ship are nothing less than deplorable, how can they not be and shame on people who think these people are just overacting. I'm sure you have people who just want their fifteen minutes of fame but come on, anyone with any common sense would know this.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I'm sorry if I'm misreading some posts but I have no doubt that the conditions on the ship are nothing less than deplorable, how can they not be and shame on people who think these people are just overacting. I'm sure you have people who just want their fifteen minutes of fame but come on, anyone with any common sense would know this.

I don't see where you get that view. I don't see any posts that say things are optimal or that people are over-acting. It is the media that is over-acting. If you mean the steak and lobster remark, that was posted on Twitter in the media tweets I've been following.
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

One passenger on the phone with CNN stated, they are trying to clean up, to apparently present the situation as being not that bad.

There are always people who make good sound bites....that they never get the people that say we are trying to make the best of it .It's a tough situation..no spam, mentioned this time

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 14th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Admiral

But as Mike said, cleaning is easier accomplished now that the extra generator was brought aboard so they can use wet-vacs and so forth. The timing of the new generator being brought aboard easily gives rise to 'they are just doing cleaning now for appearances'.

The SPAM.....the lady who was aboard Splendor can verify this, but as I recall that was hyped by the media but in fact little or none of it was actually served.

By the way, I happen to like SPAM!
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Admiral

According to John Heald, there was never any spam served.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
I don't see where you get that view. I don't see any posts that say things are optimal or that people are over-acting. It is the media that is over-acting. If you mean the steak and lobster remark, that was posted on Twitter in the media tweets I've been following.
The lobster comment was funny. To me there were two post that I felt like people were thinking that the passengers were overreacting.
I didn't see the deck that looked clean with the chairs all lined up or neatly stacked, I did see the one's Paul posted and it didn't look too good to me.
Didn't mean to offend you if I did, it's just how I viewed it.
We all know what they say about opinions

I was just reading the roll call for this cruise and it put a knot in my stomach...
One group was taking their 80 year old mother another it was their first cruise, all their excitement and than this happens. I'm thankful that their all safe and unharmed.
How sad this could of been any of us.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014

Last edited by Aerogirl; February 14th, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Robin,

No offense taken! This morning's CNN live video showed the pool deck area and is was pristine with all the deck chairs lined up like normal.
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have a question. Before all the "keep the Ocean clean started" would they have been able to off load the sewage?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Familiar Face

Default I'm watching CNN

They've almost gone wall-to-wall with this story. To their credit, they appear to be trying to be fair. Fox News and MSNBC are back to politics as normal. NBC News seems to be the worst offender for over-sensationalizing the worst conditions. They seem to be taking as gospel what families on land are saying about the on-board conditions without any cooberation.

Carnival is doing the best they possibly can given the difficult to impossible circumstances.
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Familiar Face

I wonder if that was file footage. I saw a pic reportedly on Facebook where people made makeshift tents on deck. Another pic on Facebook showed bedding set up near lifeboat station 5. I'm surprised they allowed that because it looked like they were blocking access to the embarcation station.
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I have a question. Before all the "keep the Ocean clean started" would they have been able to off load the sewage?
I cannot speak for cruise ships, but I was in the Navy from 1978 to 1984 and we routinely dumped our sewage tanks to the sea once we were in international waters. It was legal and we of course didn't do it when in proximity to other vessels. We also did it in circular motion so we didn't pull any of it into other suction points such as our condenser intakes or other cooling water intakes. We also tossed trash overboard...."sweepers, now bring all trash to the stern. Puncture bags to ensure sinkage."
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Familiar Face

Also, the AP reporting there hasn't been a dropoff in cruise bookings, but they say itis too early to tell if there will be a lasting impact.
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Default New information

John Heald

CARNIVAL TRIUMPH UPDATE

Latest Update on Carnival Triumph February 14, 2013 – 8:20pm CT

We’re here to provide a brief update on the status of Carnival Triumph.
The vessel is less than 10 miles from the Port of Mobile and traveling at a speed of 6 knots. Depending on the speed it maintains, our current estimates are between 9:15pm and 11:30pm for the ship to be in position to begin debarkation which should start approximately 15 minutes after.

As noted previously, the disembarkation process could take approximately 4 to 5 hours due to the lack of power. We are using multiple gangways to try to expedite the process and help get our guests on their way home.

In the terminal, guests will find our Customer Care and Guest Logistics teams ready to assist them, as well as warm food, beverages, blankets, cell phones and chargers.

We will start staging the 100 motor coaches we have reserved to take our guests home.

On Friday, the plan is to move the ship from the cruise ship terminal to the Mobile shipyard for assessment of the repairs.

We’ve had some questions about the crew. Once the last guest is off the ship, hotel crew has the option to either stay on board or go to a hotel here in Mobile we have provided for them. They will spend 2-3 days in hotels here.

For hotel crewmembers close to completing their contract, we will compensate them for the full term as they begin their vacation early. For those who recently signed on, we will transfer them to other Carnival ships.

The deck and engine crew will stay on board to help us reposition the vessel to the shipyard tomorrow. They will then have hotel rooms Friday night and onward, as they will stay with the ship to help with repairs.

Thank you.

Old February 14th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Robin,

No offense taken! This morning's CNN live video showed the pool deck area and is was pristine with all the deck chairs lined up like normal.
Maybe Carnival was getting ready for their photo opt

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Why aren't they flying people back to Galveston? Buses for the people who live near Mobile, for sure, but why not shorten the trip back to TX, where I bet the majority came from.

Old February 14th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Admiral

They just showed the ship pulling into the port....The captain was waving his hat from the side door.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Admiral

The ship is now alongside the cruise terminal. The outstanding Mobile tug operators doing what they do every day. Great job!
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Thank G-d they are back....

John Heald

Carnival Triumph Arrives in Mobile:

Gerry Cahill, Carnival CEO said:

First, I'd like to start with saying how very thankful we all are that the ship is alongside and everyone is safe.
... I am so appreciative of the efforts of everyone involved in bringing the Carnival Triumph safely to the Port of Mobile.

I want to thank the United States Coast Guard, The Port and City of Mobile, Customs and Border Protection, and the countless other parties who have been incredibly helpful throughout.

I’d also like to thank our shoreside teams for working around the clock to make this happen. And finally, I want to thank our crew for all they have done. We have seen and heard so many reports, online and in the media, from passengers praising the crew’s hard work.

I am now going onboard to talk with our guests and crew, as well as to help with getting our guests off the ship and on their way home. Thanks

Old February 14th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I cannot speak for cruise ships, but I was in the Navy from 1978 to 1984 and we routinely dumped our sewage tanks to the sea once we were in international waters. It was legal and we of course didn't do it when in proximity to other vessels. We also did it in circular motion so we didn't pull any of it into other suction points such as our condenser intakes or other cooling water intakes. We also tossed trash overboard...."sweepers, now bring all trash to the stern. Puncture bags to ensure sinkage."
Thank you.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old February 14th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Admiral

I'm thinking there's going to be some changes now that the truth is about to come out.
One passenger said the crew was busy clearing up the decks of bed and garbage, she called it a total cover up as too not show just how bad things were.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to oteixeira Send a message via Yahoo to oteixeira

OK, what do you think they can do? Government intervention?? These boats (all of them) are flown under non-US flags, because the US is way to complicated and expensive (read regulations) to sail under. The government can say what they want, they don't control these ships, and when you buy a ticket it's a choice, not something you have to do. Remember that...
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Admiral

They just interviewed a local lady, who is still on the ship. The news person asked her about all the stuff we have been hearing, and she was so upbeat, and cleared up some of the garbage(pun intended) that we had been hearing.

She said there was plenty of food, and bottled water. She said it was warm inside the inside rooms, so those slept on deck, but she said those with balconies, pretty much slept in the rooms.

She said the crew was wonderful, and worked almost non stop.

She was asked if she would cruise again, and she said of course. They made it an adventure.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old February 15th, 2013, 12:52 AM
First Mate

Have been watching CNN for the last hour or so and it's great to see upbeat passengers and so much praise for the crew which is great.
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Captain

I also watched the CNN "Regis & Kathie Lee" wannabees on the pier - fishing for a juicy story, and basically coming up with a big fat zero....

I bet big praises for the crew are not what they had in mind.... They were looking for angry cruisers who didnt get their lobster.

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Admiral

It was quite a night watching CNN with their subtitles about the cruise. I have no doubt about the smell, and of course the reporters on the dock said they smelled it (really?). Did anyone ever report why the sewerage was there? No. Some did report it was worse in some areas, especially one side of the dining room. Sufficient food was delivered by 3 ships, I believe it was Legend, Elation, and Conquest. People were hoarding leaving small rations for the end of the line. People said it took 3 hours to get a hamburger. I can see that. Probably the burgers were delivered, but had to be cooked on the barbeque (I'm visualizing the lanai barbeque on Dream). Some said the upper deck was cleaned up for the T.V. cameras, but they were asked to remove the sheet tents for the delivery helicopter safety. Also, they were not expected to be there another night (plus it was getting colder as they approach their target area). Same with cleaning. It began after the last generator was delivered to provide power.
Was it a cruise from Hell? Who am I to say? I didn't get to see it nor smell it nor sleep there. I do believe it was handled the best it could be and that was keeping the passengers safe instead of what some passengers thought "should be done".
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think THIS is the real story:

"No power, no toilets, nothing. Nothing. I mean, it was was disgusting, but the staff, they did such an amazing job," said Joseph Alvarez. "And I give them so much props because they were amazing through it all. I mean, they worked their tails off to accommodate everybody's needs."

Yes, it was bad circumstances. Yes, I'm sure the conditions were horrible. At the end of the day, the crew did a great job. There are always those who will complain but I have no doubt that crew did good work and I hope Carnival compensates THEM as well as they are compensating the passengers.
Old February 15th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Admiral

I don't know how many people were interviewed before HLN found this report. On the phone, one cruiser wouldn't sail again for a million dollars because Carnival had no backup plans for something like this. She reported there was no formula to give to them, so babies weren't fed for 36 hours (really, 36 hours?), mothers stopped lactating because of stress , they only gave out 3 diapers a day(she said of course babies need more), there was more soda on board than water, and so on.
I have no doubt supplies would run short, but just what are ships supposed to stock for "just in case"?
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Best interview regarding conditions, and overall what happened from a blue collar, level headed Texan. Go figure...

Stranded Carnival Cruise Passenger Speaks Out - YouTube
Voyager - 03/09
Freedom - 10/07
Rhapsody - 08/06
Rhapsody - 07/03
Navigator - 03/03
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Great interview. That is the kind of person I'd love to have on a cruise with me.