Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Captain

Default Carnival to reduce fares to attract business?

Speculation on TV is Carnival will reduce fares to counter negative Triumph publicity. I doubt it but has anyone seen any decline in cruise fares?
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Admiral

I haven't seen any. I think the inside cabins might be reduced, but the balcony prices will soar. The demand for balconies since smoking regs came into play, has caused an upswing in price, so I think they'll command even higher prices now.

Clark Howard was on last night and said some other lines are cashing in now with some specials they are offering.
Old February 16th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Captain

Someone on FOX or CNN said that bookings on Carnival last week were up significantly. So, there would be no need to lower the prices. For some reason this disaster has boosted their bookings.
Conquest 7/21/13, Miracle ALASKA 8/27/13, Miracle HAWAII 9/17/13, Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/8/14
Old February 16th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Not yet, but you can be sure I'll keep my eyes peeled.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Since the fire, one of my cruises sold out and another two have higher prices.
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:28 AM
Captain

Well I might have something interesting to report here....

One of the people in our group of 8 rooms emailed me today to say they got a flyer in their (snail) mail from Expedia. She said the starting price for the exact cruise we are booked on, looked lower than the starting price she seen when we booked our cruise last August, so was curious if by chance, regardless of room type and upgrades selected, if this price reduction was consistent all the way up through the pricing. It appears she MAY be right!

We have a group of 8 rooms booked on Dream this fall. 7 are balconys, 1 is an interior. The balconys have 2, 3, or 4 people in them, the interior has 3 people in it. All rooms are on deck 9 (Vista) and I went through our booking numbers tonight, and did a pretend book via the Carnival website, and oddly, every room we have booked is now coming up exactly $40 less than the total before taxes and fees that we had before. Odd that this $40 exactly comes up for our 8 rooms, which are of 2 different types, and varying numbers of guests in each room. It's as if its a discount on the rooms, regardless of type, and not the passengers.

I completed the online form from Carnival for every booking number we had in case this pricing changes quickly. Not sure if this is a problem already as maybe each guest has to submit the form personally. I had all of the information for each guest, I just attached my phone number and email address to every request. Its not like I am trying to anything dishonest here, I requested that the $40 be added to each booking as an onboard credit, not an upgrade (as we selected the 7 balcony rooms to be all side-by-side so we could open the dividers and have the MEGA balcony )

When we originally booked, we booked the "Early Saver" rate which has price protection. Hopefully this pans out and I score the $40 onboard credit for each room, hence, $320 for the group. Not a big pile of cash, but hey, I'll take it!

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old February 21st, 2013, 07:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Good luck Krunch.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:24 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to CDrescher

Could be that lots of people have sen and read what happened. And came to the realation that, the fire was a rare occurance and that Carnival went all out to compasante those affected.
2010 Carnival Spirit Mexican Rivera
2012 Carnival Freedom Exotic W. Caribbein

Carnival Freedom
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:30 AM
Admiral

If Carnival was a cruise line I enjoyed this would not deter me from booking a future cruise.
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:56 AM
Admiral

One of our girls in our group is having second thoughts about going on Liberty in December because of the fire, I have no worries about going.
I need to find out how her cancelling would effect the other gal and I if she decides not to go. Time to call the TA.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:02 PM
Admiral

The Triumph thing will have very little effect on Carnivals overall operation.
I would venture to guess that since the passengers have returned home and to work and repeated their story over and over to everyone and anyone who would listen, freely or as a captive audience, that most folks are sick of hearing about it.
Carnival will sail on, just as it always has and when a few here and there cancels a cruise they have booked or don't book that cruise they had talked about, that just means a cabin or cabins will open up for someone else to enjoy, like me this fall on the Dream !
Old February 24th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
One of our girls in our group is having second thoughts about going on Liberty in December because of the fire, I have no worries about going.
I need to find out how her cancelling would effect the other gal and I if she decides not to go. Time to call the TA.
if there were just 2 in the cabin and one cancels the remaming person will pay 200% but only pay taxes and fees for one and only have to pay tips for 1 person.

Bill
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.Oceanlover View Post
if there were just 2 in the cabin and one cancels the remaming person will pay 200% but only pay taxes and fees for one and only have to pay tips for 1 person.

Bill
There's three in our group and she's going, she was being dramatic....she would have just lost her deposit and the other gal and I would of just paid the two person price.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Familiar Face

Yes. Several I had been watching sold out and prices raised. I didn't think that would happen. Thought worse case. Price stay the same.
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:00 PM
First Mate

We got 2 price drops this week on our Halloween Magic cruise.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:27 AM
Captain

UPDATE!

Last weekend while I was checking my email, I noticed that 2 of the 8 submissions I completed were honored and $40 came off each of those 2 rooms. The taxes and fees went up slightly, offsetting the price. As I reviewed those emails, the other 6 rooms started to trickle in. After it was all said and done, as we have 7 deck 9 balcony rooms, and 1 deck 9 interior room, the rebate seemed to be a room rate reduction of $40 per room, but a $0.75 increase in the taxes and fees per person in the room. So rooms with 2 people got a rebate of $38.50, a room with 3 people got $37.75, and a room with four people got $37.00. Not a big pile, but a few "Free" drinks is now how we look at it.

Poster above has received 2 rebates so far, congrats! I hope we find more savings before we sail as well!

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:34 AM
Familiar Face

I booked our cruise 18 months out at what I thought were rock bottom prices and expected no price drops at all since prices have only rose since I purchased - a couple of weeks ago it was over $200/person more than I paid. Last week I got $228 in OBC for our upcoming Liberty cruise!!!!
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Familiar Face

That's just the news' busy talk. Carnival has quite a large customer base despite their recent troubles. That is not going to change. They have no need to reduce fares as they still have the capacity to fill their ships and that's the bottom line. I've been on ten Carnival cruises and the ships all sailed full.