Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Carnival Triumph lawsuits

So far I have heard 2 lawsuits have been filed, with the experts saying different things about the ability to collect. Now I just saw this

Sex attack on cruise claim | The Tribune

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Admiral

I think the next few days will be interesting
Old February 18th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Important maritime lawyers like James Walker have been saying in public that no one is likely to collect in this case unless they can prove personal injury (or suffering) due to neligence.

The fact that your story is from a Bahamas newspaper leads me to think this is all about a lawsuit, and not a real sexual assault. If this happened to a US citizen the FBI would be involved, not the Bahamians.

There have been reports that on the day they decided to serve free alcohol that some people "ran riot" through the ship, stealing from the staterooms (especially looking for alcohol).

This is the reason they stopped serving alcohol at all.

What needs to be done is to have the law breakers brought to justice. It is up to the cruise lines (legally mandated) that they must report all incidents of lawlessness to the FBI. The FBI will investigate and decide whether there is a case.

If there was a sexual assault, it will be investigated. If a perpetrator cannot be identified then it will be a civil case where a lawyer will have to prove a prepoderance of evidence that a sexual assault did happen and that Carnival is responsible due to negligence.

They will have to define "negligence" and so forth. It will be interesting.

I feel sorry for Carnival, but under these circumstances I would be far more proactive about dispensing good information to get the media on their side - or at least more balanced.
Old February 18th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Admiral

I believe that Jim Walker knows what he is talking about. One lawyer is from Miami, and, the other is from Texas.... good luck to them.

With the circumstances onboard, it's scary that someone would take advantage, and hurt anybody. I hope this case is the only one.

Last edited by Trip; February 19th, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Here's hoping it's not actually true...
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Jim Walker definitely knows what he is talking about, but so does another Maritime lawyer Jack Hickey. He believes he can prove there was a danger to the people due to the "raw sewage" which was reported by certain people.

Strangely, I have not yet seen any proof of raw sewage other than pictures and eye witnesses. I guess that would be enough in a civil case, but I don't know.
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Admiral

There was a class action lawsuit just filed. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in court,and in the press.

One of the more dramatic reports I heard, was from a passenger on board, was of a man laying on the bed in his cabin, and the ceiling tiles rained down on him, along with feces, water/urine, etc...<shudder>

Old February 18th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

As there were some reports of prior "propulsion problems" on the Triumph, though I am no attorney, I'd think they MAY be able to prove some "contributory negligence" on the part of Carnival, if they can link the previous problems to the resulting fire... or at least enough to convince a jury.

It does sound like the crew and staff on board did as much as possible dealing with the situation.

But, I do think Carnival has to answer all the questions; not just the final cause of the ship being disabled.

I, of course, would have no opinion on the sexual assault investigation.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 19th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Report just came out that the fire was caused by a leaking fuel line. I think the previous propulsion issues were something to do with an alternator