Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Familiar Face

Red face HELP getting off ship in time !

We are on the Liberty 4-20 to 4-27. I heard there are various methods of getting off the ship when returning to Miami however - - I need wheelchair assistance getting to the pier and therefore can't 'carry off' my bags (my wife has her own) . Our flight departs at noon in FT LAUDERDALE>>>
Last time we were on the liberty I think we got off around 9:30 am..
Does anyone have any recent experience and can remember the time they were able to get to the pier ?
THANK you immensely !!
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I believe people using wheel chairs will be able to get off first. The airport is only a 10 minute ride from the pier. I would however, just grab a cab to get to the airport, once you have your luggage...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Yep, Donna is correct. When aboard, go to the purser and explain your situation. They'll no doubt give you #1 tags, and instruct you on where, and when to go on debarkation morning, in order to get assistance in getting off the ship. You should make it with no problems.
Have a GREAT cruise.

"SKY"
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I believe people using wheel chairs will be able to get off first. The airport is only a 10 minute ride from the pier. I would however, just grab a cab to get to the airport, once you have your luggage...
I believe... and someone can correct me if things have changed... self disembark goes first, then wheel chair assist.

But Ft. Laud. is one of the few ports where it almost doesn't matter. You can be near the last off the ship and still make a noon flight.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
I believe... and someone can correct me if things have changed... self disembark goes first, then wheel chair assist.

But Ft. Laud. is one of the few ports where it almost doesn't matter. You can be near the last off the ship and still make a noon flight.
Yep Kuki, you're correct on both points. Self Assist does indeed, get off the ship first, then those needing assistance, then they start with the Diamond/Platinum and numbers. The airport at Ft.Lauderdale is a mere "hop-skip-and-a-jump" from the cruise port.

"SKY"
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:08 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks to all of you ! I was very concerned about being at the Ft Lauderdale Airport in time to check-in at 11:00 am. Does anyone know if cabs are available at the pier or do you need to pre-order them ? Thanks again !!
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:09 PM
Familiar Face

Remmeber that I am on the Liberty in MIAMI
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$h View Post
Remmeber that I am on the Liberty in MIAMI

OMG... don't know how I missed that (gotta quit reading too fast).

A noon flight out of Ft. Laud., after the ship arrives could be a problem. Taxis are available at the pier.

The process for getting off the ship would still apply. You'll likely be off the ship between 8:00 and 8:30.

However, Miami Customs and Immigration can be a "pain in the butt", and if you're delayed, you will be pushing it.

Plus, taxi fare to Ft. Lauderdale is going to run you $75 or $80 +.

I'd put some effort into finding a later flight with some breathing room.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oops, so sorry, re-read your post and traveling from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale will take some time. I agree with Kuki, try to get a later flight and take a shuttle over an expensive cab ride...

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
OMG... don't know how I missed that (gotta quit reading too fast).

A noon flight out of Ft. Laud., after the ship arrives could be a problem. Taxis are available at the pier.

The process for getting off the ship would still apply. You'll likely be off the ship between 8:00 and 8:30.

However, Miami Customs and Immigration can be a "pain in the butt", and if you're delayed, you will be pushing it.

Plus, taxi fare to Ft. Lauderdale is going to run you $75 or $80 +.

I'd put some effort into finding a later flight with some breathing room.
Kuki, I think you are getting Miami customs & Immigration & Fort Lauderdale customs & Immigration missed up. It's Fort Lauderdale that is the 'pain in the butt', not Miami.

Ca$h, if you get off early as everyone recomments and find transportation to FLL on line that accommodates wheel chairs you will be OK. But, as Kuki said, a later flight would be more assuring.

O F C'er
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Funny we breezed right through FLL customs in 2011. I wonder if it's just the luck of the draw, Tampa was a lot longer for us.
I would feel to pressured having to make it to FLL for a noon flight and it would take away from my cruise fun.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:04 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$h View Post
We are on the Liberty 4-20 to 4-27. I heard there are various methods of getting off the ship when returning to Miami however - - I need wheelchair assistance getting to the pier and therefore can't 'carry off' my bags (my wife has her own) . Our flight departs at noon in FT LAUDERDALE>>>
Last time we were on the liberty I think we got off around 9:30 am..
Does anyone have any recent experience and can remember the time they were able to get to the pier ?
THANK you immensely !!
I have cruised on the Liberty before and they go out of there way to help anyone with special needs. I used a Cain and was able to get on firs and get off first. Don't worry about anything. The People's with disabilities Act has us all covered. You are going to have so much fun and probably put on a few pounds Richard new member looking for a cruise buddy anytime since being retired from the marines with full disability.