Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Admiral

This is another black eye for Carnival 3rd ship already. Once can be a "ship happens" situation but 3rd time with mechanical issues is a bit too much and this may not be the last time either there may be more to come.

Are their ships built on a very cheap budget put together the most inexpensive way possible and shoved in the water?

Cutbacks are seen onboard but are there cutbacks also in maintenance too?

Lucky for the Dream cruisers they were in port and they do have power. It could have been alot worse....poop in the bag cruise #3.....
Also they should be getting home in time as if it was a regular cruise so additional time off from work or picking up pets from boarding may not be an issue.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Admiral

As long as we are speculating, I'll hypothesize that Royal has planted an agent or two on Carnival ships and are systematically sabotaging them. Clever how no two incidents are the same.
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
its nice to know they conduct their tests on live key systems related to passenger comfort, while passengers are present.... maybe they need a "dummy load" to conduct tests on, rather than passenger toilets.

Do they also conduct bacteriological tests on food by feeding it to the passengers, and observing the results?
They conducted the test while docked in St. Maarten. It wasn't in the open ocean. The ship is in service 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 52 weeks a year, except for dry docks. Testing must be done. It's a hell of a lot better than testing it in the open ocean and having it fail. Testing is done to make sure if it does fail it fails at a time that will have the least impact on the guests. You could turn on the generator and say "OK, it powered up." but if you don't actually make the test and test the switch you are not testing a major component of the system.

Every cruise you have ever been on that was seven days or longer had this "test" done. On shorter cruises they may do it every other cruise.

All UPS testing is done on a regular basis in all business and on "live" systems. The Federal Reserve in Minneapolis does their every Tuesday at 1:00 p.m..

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Admiral

That is correct Mike. To test an emergency generator you have to not only run the diesel but load it with part of the electrical distribution system and see how it goes. It is sometimes called a 'confidence run'. If anyone owns an emergency generator at home, they are being foolish if they don't run it every so often and put an electrical load on it - especially if it is hardwired to your house.

I imagine cruise ships usually load the emergency diesels with non-vital distribution boards/busses , such as power for crew areas or secondary systems. But I just learned Carnival Dream also puts primary loads on the emergency bus, which includes elevators and sewage systems and hence the brief problems with those.

I was on the Liberty Of The Seas a few months ago and they tested all the lifeboats on the starboard side one day while in a port. They were all in the water and running around, apparently practicing maneuvers they'd use in a real emergency to stay in a group.

Last edited by Dave Beers; March 14th, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Captain

Funny: You would thing after the "events on Carnival Dream" this proves this IS NOT the way to test systems. To me, you guys are on shaky ground to say thats just how its done. Maybe, just maybe, they have to develop a better plan????

Funnier: About 2 years ago, I was involved in an event in a field where the generator was "tested". The operator told us to connect stuff to it in order to have a "load". Well, the bloody thing promptly blew out everything connected to it, and there was subsequently no event. Almost 10k$ in damage was caused (needless to say its still in litigation, because the idiot would not "step up")

There HAS to be a better way to test this stuff.

Why you should never follow a penguin underwater
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Captain

QUOTE thecruisequeen: Cutbacks are seen onboard but are there cutbacks also in maintenance too?

I think you nailed it, cruisequeen

Old March 14th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
QUOTE thecruisequeen: Cutbacks are seen onboard but are there cutbacks also in maintenance too?

I think you nailed it, cruisequeen
That's what happens with public traded company's .....got to cut back to make a profit.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Captain

I asked above, "Was there a test" I never implied that was what happened. The nature of the cruise animal dictates that passengers are essentially always present. Each ship is turned around quickly. A new cruise starts within hours of the last one ending. Sometimes tests have to be completed whenever time permits. While you never see it, I can guarantee that if you or a loved one has ever entered an O.R. there are many tests being performed on equipment between cases, and sometimes during cases. The goals are the same, to maximize safety.

There was no, "Let's perform the test to see if the $hit runs uphill." and you analogy to essentially treat passengers like lab rats is not even a good one.

When you patent your variable "dummy load" that tests for all real life scenarios I`m sure you will become very rich.

As far as a better way to conduct tests in a cruse ship environment? As mentioned previously, the problem is time, so maybe an 8 day work week and the creation of a new Sunday are in order?

Accusing cutbacks as being the cause is another form of speculation. If I've learned anything over the years it is sometimes better to hang back for a while, get both, or more sides to every story, and often the right answers seem to present themselves.

Krunch

Quote:
its nice to know they conduct their tests on live key systems related to passenger comfort, while passengers are present.... maybe they need a "dummy load" to conduct tests on, rather than passenger toilets.

Do they also conduct bacteriological tests on food by feeding it to the passengers, and observing the results?
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006

Last edited by krunch; March 14th, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Admiral

Someone posted on Facebook that they have a family member on Carnival Legend and it missed Belize and will miss Grand Cayman too to get back to Tampa in time.....Mechanical issues.......this has to be a joke??? what are the odds of two ships with issues at the same time

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 15th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Funny: You would thing after the "events on Carnival Dream" this proves this IS NOT the way to test systems. To me, you guys are on shaky ground to say thats just how its done. Maybe, just maybe, they have to develop a better plan????

Funnier: About 2 years ago, I was involved in an event in a field where the generator was "tested". The operator told us to connect stuff to it in order to have a "load". Well, the bloody thing promptly blew out everything connected to it, and there was subsequently no event. Almost 10k$ in damage was caused (needless to say its still in litigation, because the idiot would not "step up")

There HAS to be a better way to test this stuff.
When you come up with a cost effective way that tests the back up system in a real life situation you better patent it. You'll make millions when you sell it to disaster recovery planners.

Your $10K is nothing. Hopefully they found out the problem and then fixed it. What would be the cost if the emergency generator failed in a real life disaster situation.

Your major banking systems, Federal Reserve systems and just about every major company with a credible Disaster Recovery Plan test their UPS systems on a weekly basis and yes, just about every one has failed at some point. The key is that you want it to fail when you can return to common power and not during a real disaster.

The Dream could have set sail back to Port Canaveral but went on the side of caution to not do so without a working backup generator.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old March 15th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post
Someone posted on Facebook that they have a family member on Carnival Legend and it missed Belize and will miss Grand Cayman too to get back to Tampa in time.....Mechanical issues.......this has to be a joke??? what are the odds of two ships with issues at the same time
Read the same thing last night on another site, I sure hope it's BS!!!

~Robin~

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Not a joke: Carnival Legend is having problems with one of its Azipods.

This not an uncommon problem. Just about every one of Celebrity's Millennium class ships had azipod problems.

Take care,
Mike

Old March 15th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Captain

quote MikeM: "Your $10K is nothing."

Then I expect you can write us a check right away, and we will pay you back when its settled.

In fact, this is a real-life example on a smaller scale. The organizers of the event are actually going after the guy for sustantially more for "negligence" because he failed to check his equipment and wiring before connecting it. Their damages involve a cancelled event. I bet his defense is going to be that he cant check his equipment every time it is used. I doubt that one is going to fly.

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Should be interesting to see what Carnival does and says the next few weeks. They need to assure cruisers that each and everyone of their ships is safe and there will be no more major issues.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Meanwhile, there is a report about the captain of Royal Caribbean's Oasis Of The Seas being aboard the Dream when the power glitch occurred. He was having lunch with the Carnival captain. I'm sure this happens frequently since cruise ship captains are members of a unique group. Still, the embarrassment of the moment must have caused at least some throat clearing and a quick "I'm afraid we'll have to skip dessert" as the Dream captain quickly hustled out of the dining room.

I get the mental image of the Oasis captain barely containing his laughter as he walks off the Dream and heads back to his ship. "I can't wait to tell the chief engineer about this!"
Old March 17th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Familiar Face

As usual the media's making it out to be a disaster. Go figure!
Old March 17th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
They conducted the test while docked in St. Maarten. It wasn't in the open ocean. The ship is in service 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 52 weeks a year, except for dry docks. Testing must be done. It's a hell of a lot better than testing it in the open ocean and having it fail. Testing is done to make sure if it does fail it fails at a time that will have the least impact on the guests. You could turn on the generator and say "OK, it powered up." but if you don't actually make the test and test the switch you are not testing a major component of the system.

Every cruise you have ever been on that was seven days or longer had this "test" done. On shorter cruises they may do it every other cruise.

All UPS testing is done on a regular basis in all business and on "live" systems. The Federal Reserve in Minneapolis does their every Tuesday at 1:00 p.m..

Take care,
Mike
your spot on...at the hospital I work at we test the back up generators every week, and they take the full load...we had an issue a year ago where all systems seemed fine, the emergency generator came on line and then had major problems, which blew breakers, overloaded some circuits and damaging some other equipment...no one "planned" this nor did no one not do proper maintenance...we are regulated pretty hard by the Joint Commission, the Federal and State Governments...mechanical systems can all check out and seem fine and then fail fast...it took us calling for emergency generator from another state, patching some circuits and transferring patients to multiple other hospitals....
Carnival actually testing the system shows they are maintaining their ships...the Dream was not in any trouble, but without the emergency generator they could not safely go to sea...if they were as many of you are accusing "saving money" they would have sailed anyhow...the legend...it is a pod malfunctioning which is mainly used for steering - remember how these ships move sideways...they also help keep the ship steady in a direction while under power...so the ship is slowed a few knots big deal...as for why Carnival...last I looked they have more ships then all the others...any system running 24/7/365 will have problems from time to time, but these ships, some running for well over 2 ears without a problem and now one having a major problem - well a fire that could have been major but was controlled that was caused by a leaking line, and these other two do not in anyway show some kind of maintenance problem or going "cheap"...just shows mechanical stuff can and will break when you don't want it too..
Also as some suggest that Carnival is skimping on maintenance to save a buck makes no sense at all when it costs them not only in negative publicity, but also all the costs and loses of money in revune...even the insurance company they use will raise their rates or cancel them if they are not doing it right...some of you really need to stop watching CNN, Fox, etc and repeating everything they say as "proof" or "fact"

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Captain

Another update on the Dream, I have bolded an item of interest which suggests overall passengers are taking this in stride for sure...

Krunch

STATEMENT REGARDING CARNIVAL DREAM -¬ March 15, 2013 ‚€“ 12:30 p.m. EDT
The following provides an update on the Carnival Dream in St. Maarten.
Guest Logistics:
We have arranged for a combination of approximately 50 commercial and private chartered flights departing St. Maarten for the 4,363 guests onboard Carnival Dream. Guests have the option to return to Orlando — the closest air gateway to Port Canaveral, where the voyage began — or their originating city. Guests began disembarking the ship this morning to board flights scheduled for today, and will continue to do so throughout the weekend. ¬ We are working to try to accommodate special requests from guests, including those who asked to remain on board longer.
We have arranged for motor coach transfers from the ship in St. Maarten to the local airport, as well as in Orlando to the port or hotels that have been arranged for those guests who are staying overnight.
Onboard Activities & St. Maarten
All guests are safe and comfortable. Activities have continued aboard the ship similar to our regular, full ‚€œSea Day‚€Ě itineraries including children‚€™s programs and full dining options. Entertainment includes live music on deck, as well as a variety of bars and lounges. ¬ Last night, we arranged for three-time Grammy winner Jon Secada to perform two shows in the ship‚€™s main lounge.
Wednesday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. ¬ Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. ¬ We have arranged complimentary water taxi service for guests who wish to explore other areas of the island.

Our Commitment to Safety and Security
We would like to sincerely apologize to our guests for the disruption to their vacation plans as a result of these occurrences. ¬ The cause of each one is unrelated although we take each of them very seriously. As always, the safety of our guests and crew is our foremost priority. Carnival Cruise Lines carries some 4.5 million passengers a year and operates thousands of cruises without incident. ¬ Our historical safety record is outstanding. ¬ We have comprehensive maintenance programs in place that meet or exceed all regulatory standards and requirements.
We are committed to learning from any incident that may occur on one of our vessels to apply lessons learned and prevent future occurrences. We are presently conducting a comprehensive fleet-wide review that encompasses multiple operational areas, systems and training. ¬ We have assembled an expert team from across the company, as well as a variety of outside experts to complete the assessment. We expect to make an announcement early next week on the initial steps of our implementation program based on the results of our review. In the meantime, we are confident that we will continue to provide our guests with a safe, fun and memorable vacation experience and look forward to welcoming them on board.
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to sgtmomret

We were one of the many people who were suppose to be on the Dream on the 16 Mar. I've re-book a cruise on the Liberty 7 Dec 13 for a oceanview. Now my question is, how do they figure in the 25%? I got the Past Guest pp of 439.00 and they say that includes the 25% discount but off of what price. total price for two 878.00 + 250.20 taxes, - credits/coupons 79.50. The price right now for a oceanview past guest is 509.00 minus 25% = 381.75. So will someone figure this out....my brain hurts. Am I getting the correct discount.
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Perhaps the rate was $585 when you booked? Rates are always on the move.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtmomret View Post
We were one of the many people who were suppose to be on the Dream on the 16 Mar. I've re-book a cruise on the Liberty 7 Dec 13 for a oceanview. Now my question is, how do they figure in the 25%? I got the Past Guest pp of 439.00 and they say that includes the 25% discount but off of what price. total price for two 878.00 + 250.20 taxes, - credits/coupons 79.50. The price right now for a oceanview past guest is 509.00 minus 25% = 381.75. So will someone figure this out....my brain hurts. Am I getting the correct discount.
We're on the same Liberty cruise!

~Robin~

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to sgtmomret

nope the price then was 529pp but now on the web site its lower and with the 25% off it still does not add up. I think there only giving us a total of 79.50 per stateroom off, which is not 25% of the stateroom cost. I think I'll have to call them and explain to me how they do the math and what are the using as the my stateroom rate.