Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Default Carnival Dream - Reports of problems?

I figured I'd start the inevitable thread, given CNN is reporting the Dream is still moored in St. Maarten and passengers are reporting toilet woes and power outages. So far Carnival has not responded to the reports.
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It looks like power to the hotel systems is back up and there were sporadic outages until around 12:30 a.m.. Carnival's technical team is still on board and they haven't left St. Maarten so it looks like the "problem" isn't fixed.

Carnival doesn't need any more "power" issues.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 14th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Admiral

"Great" timing for Carnival too, with the Cruise Shipping Miami conference going on right now and all those travel press people gathered in the same convention center.
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Familiar Face

A post from Carnival on Facebook.

"The Carnival Dream has a technical issue which our engineering team is currently working on. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. At no time did the ship lose power but there were periodic interruptions to elevators and toilets for a few hours last night. However at this time all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am. The ship has full power but is still at dock while personnel continue to work on the technical issue. The Carnival Dream was on a seven-day cruise and is based in Port Canaveral, Fla."
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Admiral

And now comes word they will fly current guests home, give them 3 days of refund, and 50% off a future cruise. Guests on the next cruise, which is cancelled, will get their money back, 25% off a future cruise, and reimbursement for non-refundable transportation costs.
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Captain

Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Admiral

I'm thinking or at least I hope this the kick in the pants that Carnival needs to get their butts in gear and look a little deeper as to issues or potential issues their ship are or may have going on. If this starts to be a regular issue I do believe they will see decline in costumers.

It's easy to say and believe "things happen" but when it starts to happen every month or so it's going to start to take a toll. I'm a Carnival cruiser and it has me thinking that maybe I need to start cruising other lines since ongoing electrical problems are starting to plague this cruise line. Two ships in two months, it doesn't look good.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I read John's explanation earlier...They better buttonhole these issues, or they could see cancellations way beyond the norm....this is frustrating on so many levels.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 14th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Admiral

As someone with a background in systems analysis and corrective action programs in the nuclear power industry, it seems to me that Carnival is not doing adequate root cause analyses on their problems. Now granted, this latest event happened before they could roll out in-depth corrective actions to address the underlying problems with their engineering systems, and they may indeed be headed in the right direction after the Triumph debacle. We'll see.
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Just turned the T.V. on, guess what? It's on national news, HLN. They reiterated about last month's events too.
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
Just turned the T.V. on, guess what? It's on national news, HLN. They reiterated about last month's events too.
As much as the Triumph coverage made me cringe I think it's a good idea to spotlight it, I think Carnival needs to feel the heat and be reminded that they need to do some serious change.
Part of the problems with the world is people seem to react in the moment and than completely forget about things and just accept it, we've learned to be to passive with things.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Admiral

One corrective action would be to stop listening to CNN. They are rapidly approaching Fox for misinformation.
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:02 PM
First Mate

Fingers crossed....get that ship fixed asap and do it right. I am sailing in April on the Dream and it will be my 1st cruise since being on the Splendor when it caught fire. Yikes!!
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Admiral

I don't currently see a correlation between Dream, Triumph, Concordia, and Splendor. One area to certainly look at is the USCG inspections. Did they note any deficiencies and if not, why not?
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Now comes some facts based on the Dream's logs from yesterday...exactly one public restroom had an overflow problem and one stateroom required toilet repair. In other words probably an average day for such a large ship, if not below average.
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Admiral

They are on again! The toilets etc are working, per passenger report.
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival can't catch a break. Have to wonder why things like this keep happening to them and this is coming from a person who just came back from a great cruise last week and has cruised exclusively with Carnival 7 times.

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:55 PM
First Mate

Never sailed on Carnival....not likely to do so anytime soon....a real string of bad luck or poor maintenance.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Familiar Face

My wife and I were on our first cruise with Carnival in Dec. of last year. We were on the liberty and the last couple of days while in the rear of the ship you could feel a pretty decent vibration that wasnt there the previous days. Being our first cruise I wasnt sure if this was normal or if it had anything to do with rough seas or if it was a technical issue. Reguardless we made it back on time and had no issues.

We may try a different cruise line on our next cruise if things keep popping up with carnival...
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tison1200 View Post
My wife and I were on our first cruise with Carnival in Dec. of last year. We were on the liberty and the last couple of days while in the rear of the ship you could feel a pretty decent vibration that wasnt there the previous days. Being our first cruise I wasnt sure if this was normal or if it had anything to do with rough seas or if it was a technical issue. Reguardless we made it back on time and had no issues.

We may try a different cruise line on our next cruise if things keep popping up with carnival...
Sailing Liberty in December! YIKES

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Sailing Liberty in December! YIKES

Like I said being it was our first cruise I'm not sure if the vibration was normal or not. We had pretty good weather 78*-86* the whole trip with a few showers but mostly sun. It was however pretty windy. They roped off the top decks for awhile because the wind was so instense (mini golf area) because of the wind the boat rocked quite a bit. ( I found this fun) On our stop in Grand Turk we went deep sea fishing and the guide asked if we were ok going into "choppy" water as there were no fish biting where we were at. We all said "Lets do it" We were in a 36' fishing boat with 8-10' swells in 14,000 feet of water a mile or so off the island. No one got sick and we all caught a fish!
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Captain

The facts of this issue seem to be already over exagerated...

As per Carnival's last update:
----------------
While the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source were not impacted, in an abundance of caution, we prefer not to sail with guests on board without an operational back up emergency generator.
----------------

There is no problem with any PRIMARY systems onboard. Likely due to the recent Triumph incident, and / or, regulations, they WILL NOT take a chance as in the event the emergency generator (backup) IS required, it doesn't work. Likley in light of the recent Triumph issue, Carnival is erroring on the side of caution, yet the media seems to be STILL slamming them. Can't win?!?

Everything looks ok via the Dream's webcams, people are in the pool, etc.

Was this problem the SAME as the Triumph issue? It sounds ERRILY familar, but maybe didn't escalate to the level as Triumph? With mention of the seemingly "Intermittant" loss of power, it sounds more like an electrical switchover problem between the primary source and the backup. I am not a ship engineer, but I AM a Biomedical Electronics Technologist and am family with the switchover of primary and backup generators in hospital environments. Maybe the fault in both ships lies in some faulty electrical / electronic switchover component common between the two (or more) ships and the fault is not a result of anything Carnival did wrong? (Pure speculation of cource.) But we do live in a world where product recalls happen every day. (I see lots in the medical world). Does Toyota make any ship parts !

"Stuck" in St. Maarten for a few days? PFFFFFFT! WISH I was there! They are not due to debark in Port Canaveral until Saturday anyway. If they fly back to Orlando on, or before Saturday morning, it's still a pretty decent vacation and they could likely make their original travel plans back home.

Krunch
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Familiar Face

I love cruising on Carnival, but I admit with this lastest setback it's starting to make me nervous. I'm not sure if it's the cruise lines or perhaps even the builders or whatever that is the problem. I just know that I don't want my cruise cut short. I look forward to my vacations and I know some things are out of their control, but I hope they fix their issues.
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Admiral

I'd see if they'd let me fly home later and just move into a hotel on St. Martin for a couple days, provided local immigration rules were followed. Relax and let the crowd get gone, plus get to spend some more time on the island.

I imagine Carnival is quite gun shy about any ship being in open ocean and not having the back-up power supply available. Thus their caution is well-founded.
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Familiar Face

This was posted on Carnival's Facebook page, I actually thought it did a good job of addressing many concerns:

Carnival Cruise Lines

about an hour ago.

Q: What is going on with Carnival Dream? What happened?

While at dock in St. Maarten yesterday, the ship’s engineering team conducted a regularly scheduled test of the ship’s emergency diesel generator. A malfunction occurred which has rendered the emergency generator inoperable. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power sources were not impacted. However, for a period of time last night, there were interruptions to the elevators and restroom services. Toilets and elevators are currently working, and have been since about 12:30am.

Q: Where was the ship when the problem occurred?

The Carnival Dream was at dock in St. Maarten during a regularly scheduled port of call visit and remains there currently. All passengers are safe and comfortable.

Q: Did the ship lose power?

At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power sources were not impacted.

Q: Why is the ship not able to sail back to Port Canaveral?

While the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source were not impacted, in an abundance of caution, we prefer not to sail with guests on board without an operational back up emergency generator.

Q: Are the toilets and elevators working?

Toilets and elevators are currently working, and have been since about 12:30am.

Q: Is it true that toilets were overflowing and sewage on floors, in hallways, etc.?

We have had multiple conversations with the ship’s management team. Based on the ship’s service logs and extensive physical monitoring of all public areas, including restrooms, throughout the night, we can confirm that only one public restroom was taken offline for cleaning based on toilet overflow and there was a total of one request for cleaning of a guest cabin bathroom. Aside from that there have been no reports of issues on board with overflowing toilets or sewage. The toilet system had periodic interruptions yesterday evening and was fully restored at approximately 12.30am this morning.

Q: Are guests allowed to get off the ship?

Guests have the option to get off the ship to visit the port of St. Maarten until their scheduled return home. We have also arranged complimentary water taxi service for guests who wish to explore other areas of the island.

Q: What is going to happen with the guests from here?

All guests are being flown via a combination of commercial and private chartered air to either Orlando, which is the closest air gateway to Port Canaveral, or to their final destination depending on their individual needs.

Q: Is it true that Carnival is flying everyone to Miami and putting them on buses?

No.

Q: What kind of compensation will they receive?

Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

Q: Are you cancelling future cruises?

We have cancelled the ship’s next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March, 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing. Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Q: How many passengers and crew are onboard?

There are 4,363 guests and 1370 crew on Carnival Dream.

Q: What are you doing to help passengers without passports?

We have already addressed this issue with the relevant authorities and the guests will not have an issue traveling without passports.

First Time Cruiser... Summer 2013... Carnival Dream to the Eastern Caribbean.
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Captain

I fail to understand how a "backup generator problem" can impact the main electrical systems, cabin power and toilet function, as it apparently did. Even temporary failure of these systems (back on at 12:30) does not compute. It was a "backup system". Somebody is lying.

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Familiar Face

I believe I'd be looking at the ship builders very strongly.
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
I fail to understand how a "backup generator problem" can impact the main electrical systems, cabin power and toilet function, as it apparently did. Even temporary failure of these systems (back on at 12:30) does not compute. It was a "backup system". Somebody is lying.
No one is lying. There is a "switch" from main power to backup. If there is a switch to backup and the backup isn't working then you will lose power. When you switch back to main then power is restored.

I've worked with enough UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) systems in large data centers to know what can happen when main power is transferred to backup and backup fails. It gets really dark and really quiet. It can also trip and even blow breakers and circuits that need to be reset or replaced when the system is set back to main power.

They probably had to fix and reset certain circuits which could result in multiple, temporary, power losses to certain systems.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me

Last edited by Mike M; March 14th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Captain

Based on my experience, to test a backup system, you need to shut down the main power system, or at least "Spoof it" to test the activation of the backup system. The post above by Carnival says there was a scheduled generator test on the morning after the intermittant power problems. Was there a test, or partial test that night which led to the scheduled test the next day? Some items "May not compute", not because they are wrong or untruthful, but rather because all the required information hasn't been released, or is currently unknown. The explanation itself is vague right now, calling it a "Malfunction" and the generator is "Inoperable". Is it inoperable because of a problem with the physical generator itself, or the system that is supposed to activate it? The result would be the same, no emergency generator, regardless of the fault.

Krunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post

Last edited by krunch; March 14th, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Captain

its nice to know they conduct their tests on live key systems related to passenger comfort, while passengers are present.... maybe they need a "dummy load" to conduct tests on, rather than passenger toilets.

Do they also conduct bacteriological tests on food by feeding it to the passengers, and observing the results?

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???