Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Default Why is it only Carnival?

I've been a cheerleader for Carnival for years and don't want to sound like I'm bad rapping the line but why does it seem to be only Carnival with all the problems? I've been searching the internet in hopes of seeing that Carnival isn't the only line with mechanical problems but I'm not seeing anything.

Makes me really think that Carnival has been cutting some major corners when it come to their ships and I'm getting really disgusted.
I really wish I hadn't book with ES and will never do so again.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Captain

Why have the recent events made you reconsider choosing "Early Saver"? What other booking oiption do you now wish you chose?

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Now with the propulsion problem on Carnival Legend I am wondering if someone taped 'kick me' signs on the backs of Carnival management.
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunch View Post
Why have the recent events made you reconsider choosing "Early Saver"? What other booking oiption do you now wish you chose?

Krunch
If I hadn't book with ES I could cancel without loosing my deposit of $250.00 x 3= $750.00.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
Now with the propulsion problem on Carnival Legend I am wondering if someone taped 'kick me' signs on the backs of Carnival management.
I read about this last night on another board....is this confirmed?

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It is confirmed.

"The vessel made its scheduled call yesterday in Mahogany Bay, Roatan, in addition to visiting Cozumel and Costa Maya earlier in the week. Because of the reduction in sailing speed, today’s visit to Grand Cayman has been cancelled and the ship will proceed to its homeport of Tampa, where it is expected to arrive on Sunday as scheduled.

Guests on the current voyage will receive a $100.00 USD per person credit and a full refund on pre-purchased shore excursions for Grand Cayman. In addition, guests will receive 50 percent off a future Carnival cruise.

This reminds me of Celebrity's Azipod problems of a few years ago. It seemed like every month there was another one of its Millennium class ships going into drydock to fix an azipod. I believe there was a large settlement from the manufacturer to Celebrity because of this problem.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Captain

Wait, what? $100 pp credit, 100% refund of prepaid shore excursions, AND a 50% discount on a future cruise?!?!? For missing a port?!?!? That can't be right! If you miss a port because of bad weather you wouldn't get a 50% discount off another cruise.

Krunch
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Wait, what? $100 pp credit, 100% refund of prepaid shore excursions, AND a 50% discount on a future cruise?!?!? For missing a port?!?!? That can't be right! If you miss a port because of bad weather you wouldn't get a 50% discount off another cruise.

Krunch
Right?
I know some may think I'm over reacting but I'm going to make a few calls and see if I can do something about my deposit,I hope to find a loophole with this ES.
I'm not wanting to cancel due to a reason I can't go, it's due to Carnivals faulty ships, at what point does their commitment of a sound ship come in?
I don't think I'll get anywhere but I'll give it a try.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:

Krunch
Weather is something they have no control over. A mechanical failure, while they may not be able to control that either, is something that is technically "their fault". It's the same with an airline. They will not honor "rule 42" if a cancellation or delay is weather related but they must if it is mechanical.

The 50% discount on a future cruise is pretty generous.

I think Carnival is being overly generous right now because of all the problems in the last couple of months.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old March 15th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Right?
I know some may think I'm over reacting but I'm going to make a few calls and see if I can do something about my deposit,I hope to find a loophole with this ES.
I'm not wanting to cancel due to a reason I can't go, it's due to Carnivals faulty ships, at what point does their commitment of a sound ship come in?
I don't think I'll get anywhere but I'll give it a try.
Robin,

If they won't refund your money you can sell me the cruise at a steep discount.

Take care,
Mike

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I wonder how the passengers from the Triumph are taking the fact, these passengers are getting 50% off?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Captain

Your cruise is further out than ours, and our ship is actually one of the ships with issues right now. Honestly, your opinions also crossed my mind as well..briefly. We have a lot of planning in our trip, and people coming from accross Canada to see us get married on Carnival Dream and we are too far into it to consider changing it. Our opinion is essentially, "We can't stay home because something might happen". You honestly can't live your live that way based on the, "What if" factor. Years ago, my father and I were in two mosse vehicle accidents, 13 months apart, before I even had a driver's license. There were many conversations between my father and his friends and one day my father said, "You can't stay off the roads because there are moose in the woods." Several years later I realized how right that statement actually was, despite the fact that I don't think my father's intentions were to say something so enlightening

With that being said, this should be a wake up call to step up, re-evaluate maintenance procedures, find the root causes, whether they be staff related, maintenance related, or possibly even related to defective manufacturer parts.

My suggestion is at least wait a few weeks, month or more. Don't overreact right now, wait for more information, and see where Carnival goes from here.

Krunch
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Robin,

If they won't refund your money you can sell me the cruise at a steep discount.

Take care,
Mike
Funny Mike, thanks I needed a little humor right about now!

I need to chill out a little, it's discouraging hearing all this but I can only believe by the time my cruise comes around Carnival will be better than ever, they certainly can't continue down this path or they will be out of business.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 15th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Familiar Face

I agree Aerogal. I have been on 6 cruises and the first 5 were with Carnival. I have always been a cheerleader for them. In January of this year we decided to try RCI Liberty of the Seas. We enjoyed it very much. But even up until this past Wednesday night I almost pulled the trigger on booking a Carnival cruise for January 2014. I woke up yesterday (3/14/13) and heard about the Dream and decided against Carnival and last night I booked with Norwegian in January 2014. Now hearing the Legend and Elation are having problems too, further more make me feel better I booked with Norwegian. Carnival has to make drastic changes to earn my business again, and thats if they can.

Jeff
Old March 15th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Your cruise is further out than ours, and our ship is actually one of the ships with issues right now. Honestly, your opinions also crossed my mind as well..briefly. We have a lot of planning in our trip, and people coming from accross Canada to see us get married on Carnival Dream and we are too far into it to consider changing it. Our opinion is essentially, "We can't stay home because something might happen". You honestly can't live your live that way based on the, "What if" factor. Years ago, my father and I were in two mosse vehicle accidents, 13 months apart, before I even had a driver's license. There were many conversations between my father and his friends and one day my father said, "You can't stay off the roads because there are moose in the woods." Several years later I realized how right that statement actually was, despite the fact that I don't think my father's intentions were to say something so enlightening

With that being said, this should be a wake up call to step up, re-evaluate maintenance procedures, find the root causes, whether they be staff related, maintenance related, or possibly even related to defective manufacturer parts.

My suggestion is at least wait a few weeks, month or more. Don't overreact right now, wait for more information, and see where Carnival goes from here.

Krunch
I totally agree that you can't live life by "what if".
I by no means live my life by "what if" otherwise I surely wouldn't of done all the thing I've done in my 49 years of life.
I think the clear fact that Carnival has had 4 separate ship problems in less than 60 days is an issue that needs to be serious looked into and considered .
I also have to believe carnival will make major changes by the time I cruise, I don't see how they can't otherwise they will be out of business.

I'm sure your wedding will go off without a hitch and my cruise will be another wonderful cruise, its just disheartening to keep hearing one thing after another with this line.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Captain

I totally agree.

Krunch
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It really isn't "only" Carnival.

The Royal Princess had an engine room fire back in 2009. The Azamara Quest had a fire in 2011, the Costa Allegra also had one in 2011.

The worst fires have been on the SS Norway (NCL) when the boiler exploded and killed six crew members and the Star Princess in 2006 where one person died of a heart attack triggered by the fire.

Then the mechanical breakdowns of the Millennium class ships. I think all of the ships had failures in their Azipod systems and one ship did most of their Alaska season on one engine and an altered route.

Every cruise line has had mechanical failures and accidents. Right now Carnival is in the cross hairs and if something happens everyone hears about it.

Take care,
Mike

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Aero maybe give it some thought before canceling and loosing any money.... Yes there is Splendor, Triumph, Dream, Legend and Elation. It's becoming the new norm for Carnival. I understand cruisers being worried if their cruise ends up being a poop cruise or if their cruise ends up being cancelled due to previous problems.

Dream, Legend and Elation came too soon after Triumph... Issues happen on all cruiselines but poop in a bag cruises are (so far) only on Carnival.

You like the Carnival product I would just go with no worries. Maybe future cruise it may be a good idea to try something new at that point. As a Royal cruiser I wanted to try something new and cruised on Breeze. The Carnival product is not for us. The entertainment on a brand new ship is terrible.

I'm looking forward to NCL Breakaway later this year or early next. It's good to switch it up sometimes....

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 17th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Familiar Face

Doom and gloom sells the media. As people have noted, this is just the beatup of the month.
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Admiral

Aerogirl, what "if" your car were to have mechanical problems while going to the port of your next cruise? Good grief!!! Get a life. Your light bulb at home goes out do you refuse to turn any lights on afterwards??? If you don't want to cruise Carnival anymore, then don't. Literally everything in the world has issues.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Admiral

I think that the situation with the Carnival ships will hurt all cruiselines.
A person who is a big fan of cruising will still cruise " maybe a bit less '' , but it will be harder to get people to go on their first cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I think that the situation with the Carnival ships will hurt all cruiselines.
A person who is a big fan of cruising will still cruise " maybe a bit less '' , but it will be harder to get people to go on their first cruise.

TM
I agree with you TM...Finally my friends booked a first time cruise on Explorer and just cancelled it other day instead they booked Punta Cana all inclusive....and put this Facebook status up....."since people are getting sick on cruises, ships are not making their scheduled stops and being stuck on a ship with no power we decided to cancel our cruise and go to Punta Cana instead....can't wait"

But to each his/her own...people have to spend their hard earned dollar on a vacation spot they feel comfortable with by ship or land.

Hopefully no more issues on any ships so this could die down....

And those of us that love cruising will continue to do so!!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk View Post
Aerogirl, what "if" your car were to have mechanical problems while going to the port of your next cruise? Good grief!!! Get a life. Your light bulb at home goes out do you refuse to turn any lights on afterwards??? If you don't want to cruise Carnival anymore, then don't. Literally everything in the world has issues.
Get a life?
If my car broke down every week I would have a problem with that, at this point it's not a one time deal or haven't you heard.

I think your "get a life" comment and speaking to me as if I were an idiot is absolutely out of line and uncalled for.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 17th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Familiar Face

I think too many people let the media make them become worry warts....to be honest only one of these was a "major" issue...the other two were to a point of one having a problem before it left a port and carnival stated it did not want to take a chance until the emergency generator was repaired...the problem was found during their normal run ups and tests...so it shows they are maintaining them...your care goes in for a tune up and a problem is found does not mean your not doing the proper maintenance...and the other was a mechanical problem that slowed the ship by a few knots...big deal...the media feeds off of worry warts....mechanical problems occur with machines....the problem with the dream was people over exaggerating the issue to news media and friends when in reality there was no major "life threatening" or even unsanitary issues except for one bathroom...big deal...we booked Carnival Sunshine for March 2014...cant wait to go and if something happens it happens...that is what insurance if for...if there were never problems, accidents or disasters there would be no such thing as insurance...

Old March 17th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Admiral

For me cruising is a lot of fun and you get a good bang for your buck. The reality is that I don't need to cruise. I am going on a cruise next month, but if ships keeping having issues as often as they have recently, we do have other vacation choices we can make.

I hope and pray that no more ships have power failures or other major issues.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoAlaskans View Post
I think too many people let the media make them become worry warts....to be honest only one of these was a "major" issue...the other two were to a point of one having a problem before it left a port and carnival stated it did not want to take a chance until the emergency generator was repaired...the problem was found during their normal run ups and tests...so it shows they are maintaining them...your care goes in for a tune up and a problem is found does not mean your not doing the proper maintenance...and the other was a mechanical problem that slowed the ship by a few knots...big deal...the media feeds off of worry warts....mechanical problems occur with machines....the problem with the dream was people over exaggerating the issue to news media and friends when in reality there was no major "life threatening" or even unsanitary issues except for one bathroom...big deal...we booked Carnival Sunshine for March 2014...cant wait to go and if something happens it happens...that is what insurance if for...if there were never problems, accidents or disasters there would be no such thing as insurance...
I does become a problem when ships start missing ports due to the same issue over and over and I commend Carnival for not sending people back on the ship (Dream), that being said I do think Carnival will get down to the problem simply because they can't afford not to. There had been many reports of propulsion problems with their ship that people have just excepted and Carnival had seemed to ignore up until now.
Most people book a cruise for the whole package including certain ports, if I book a cruise and want to go to ST Thomas and we got to the Bahamas instead do to the ship's having mechanical problem how many time should this just be accepted?

Obviously things do come up weather, illness, and sometimes ship issues that's to be expected nothing is perfect but when there have been problems reported with a ship you don't just send people on they way and hope for the best ,it's just wrong.

I have had 3 wonderful cruises on Carnival and I'm feeling confident my December one will be just fine but I do get nervous when hearing of the problems in recent weeks.

I'm done with the topics regarding Carnival issues, frankly I'm tired of thinking about it.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014

Last edited by Aerogirl; March 17th, 2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Add on
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Familiar Face

Default it is carnival

carnival is holland america,aida ,P&O,seabourn,cunard,costa,princess cruises,
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Familiar Face

Default look up events at sea

all you get is carnival
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Familiar Face

I've always heard when it rains it pours. ... It's several ships in the same line. ... Same thing at our house. Hubby's car broke down from this, mine had that, sons car had another and the daughters went put put. Lets not forget the lawn mower also. When it rains it pours... Carnival is going through a test. It seems to be doing good through it and in the end be better than ever. I'm still having cruise fever and it will be my first cruise and it will most likely be carnival.
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default My 2 cents

As soon as I heard about the Dream found a problem with a sub generator and cancelled my Mar 16 Cruise I called Nancy. Told her to find me a cabin on the Dream for April 27. She did and said that Carnival said I was the first one to rebook.

Why did I rebook? Since i now have over 90 cruises completed I have faith in the mechanics of all the ships. As I have said before any equipment that have moving parts will, wear out, break, become corossive, and have to be replaced. Good maintenance will keep them running longer. I like Carnival and all the other lines they own. As long as I live I will try to continue cruising.

Carnival said they will increase their
Testing, checking etc to be sure the passengers and crew will be safe. That is exactly what they did in St Maartin.

Nuff said.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!