Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Default Gerry Cahill the Problem?

I was reading and this comes for an avid cruiser of Carnival.

He believes the problem is the CEO Gerry Cahill. He speaks of how thing have changed big time with loyal Carnival crew who have left to go work with other lines, even upper staff and officers have left and when they were asked why they all stated Gerry Cahill.
He went on to say you didn't see this much of stuff with Micky Arison or Bob Dickinson.

I don't pretend to know anything about this but it makes me wonder if it's not so.
Any thoughts?

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Admiral

I'm not exactly sure what it takes to be an " Avid " cruiser of Carnival but personally I have sailed approx 25 times on Carnival.
I don't consider myself as one who is in the know re / the CEO.
As I understand it, Mickey Arrison is the head of the Carnival Corp., which owns Princess, HAL, Costa, Seaborne and some foreign interests. Then each brand, such as Carnival has a CEO, who happens to be Cahill.
There may or may not be any truth in what the "AVID " cruiser said--who knows --- It very well could be his ( Cahill's ) style of management that has brought on changes that has forced cut-backs here and there that should have been left
in place--not saying one way or the other--we simply don't know.
But--- If I were Mickey Arison I would be looking closely at what's been happening since Bob Dickinson left and might entertain the idea of bringing him out of retirement for a while , at least.
Just my thoughts, which doesn't mean a thing --Carnival doesn't call me for my opinions! --but I bet Arison is steamed at someone !!
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Ron, I'm the one who added avid, I was trying to say this person has cruise for many years and many times with Carnival.

I had no idea Carnival Corp owned all these cruise lines...interesting.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 16th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Admiral

Mickey Arison's dad, Ted Arison founded Carnival Cruise Lines . Their first ship was a 27,000 ton ship that was built in the early 60's for trans-Atlantic crossings.
The ship originally was the Empress of Canada. By that time, jet service crossing from Europe to the U.S. was hurting the ocean liners and the Empress of Canada was laid up. Arison bought it with his last dollars, named it the Mardi Gras --so, the start of Carnival was one older ship they painted red, white and blue. Mickey Arison worked on the ship , doing most everything from mopping to tending bar. Their first cruise started with a bang--they ran aground on a sand bar near Miami ! It's also said that once or twice they had to empty the slot machines to help buy fuel to get back home to Miami. Ted Arison is given credit by many as the person who brought cruising to where the average person could afford to cruise.The first cruise we ever took was in 1983 on the Mardi Gras. We had a tiny cabin with a plate sized porthole and my bed was propped up on one side with a piece of 2x4 lumber. We enjoyed it though and were hooked on cruising. We went to Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman.
They later bought another older ship and painted it, later bought their first New Build and named it the Tropicale. It was, I believe a 36,000 ton ship which was big in that day. So, from that point on, they never looked back-- then came the Fantasy class ships, then the Destiny and so on. They are actually the largest cruise line in the world now with passengers carried and as I said earlier own several other lines.
So, Mickey is now the CEO of the Carnival Corp. and each division has a CEO. and too like I said earlier, I would imagine that Mickey is pretty steamed about the last developments and It wouldn't surprise me to see some people in hot water with him over the these latest developments.
So, you very well may be right about Jerry Cahill--we'll have to wait and see.
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:56 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Mickey Arison's dad, Ted Arison founded Carnival Cruise Lines . Their first ship was a 27,000 ton ship that was built in the early 60's for trans-Atlantic crossings.
The ship originally was the Empress of Canada. By that time, jet service crossing from Europe to the U.S. was hurting the ocean liners and the Empress of Canada was laid up. Arison bought it with his last dollars, named it the Mardi Gras --so, the start of Carnival was one older ship they painted red, white and blue. Mickey Arison worked on the ship , doing most everything from mopping to tending bar. Their first cruise started with a bang--they ran aground on a sand bar near Miami ! It's also said that once or twice they had to empty the slot machines to help buy fuel to get back home to Miami. Ted Arison is given credit by many as the person who brought cruising to where the average person could afford to cruise.The first cruise we ever took was in 1983 on the Mardi Gras. We had a tiny cabin with a plate sized porthole and my bed was propped up on one side with a piece of 2x4 lumber. We enjoyed it though and were hooked on cruising. We went to Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman.
They later bought another older ship and painted it, later bought their first New Build and named it the Tropicale. It was, I believe a 36,000 ton ship which was big in that day. So, from that point on, they never looked back-- then came the Fantasy class ships, then the Destiny and so on. They are actually the largest cruise line in the world now with passengers carried and as I said earlier own several other lines.
So, Mickey is now the CEO of the Carnival Corp. and each division has a CEO. and too like I said earlier, I would imagine that Mickey is pretty steamed about the last developments and It wouldn't surprise me to see some people in hot water with him over the these latest developments.
So, you very well may be right about Jerry Cahill--we'll have to wait and see.
Thanks for the post. It says a lot about the roots of Carnival and why it developed the following that they have. And the question we are all looking for to be answered: is it just a run of bad luck or is it really a maintenance problem stemming from a financial decision to cut costs somewhere? For myself I think it is just a string of bad luck. But I do believe Carnival has to step to the plate and let folks know what is really happening. JMHO

Need some cruise help?
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Uncle Bob is still on the Board of Directors of Carnival and is to some extent, responsible for Cahill being promoted.

Not a chance Uncle Bob is coming out of "retirement". Besides, most of his "staff" has moved on, too.

Corporate tells each cruise line what their budget is and how much return they expect, and pretty much leaves it up to each cruise line to accomplish that.
Old March 16th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Chief, I too hope it's just been a run of bad luck for Carnival but, on the other hand, it seems they had had more than their share since Bob left.
And, one never knows--maybe Zydeco has it pegged just right--RCCL has slipped a couple of people into Carnival's team that are sabotaging the ships! --- now, before anyone jumps, no I was kidding about that.

Hopefully all this trouble will be over for Carnival and things will return to normal after these last episodes.
Old March 16th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Admiral

I now remembered "if your going to dig be prepared for what you might discover" I need to stop digging! There are sure a lot of red flag with a few Carnival ships at this time and as I have tried to just look away I decided to read Paul's article and dug some more, YIKES! Only time will tell if I decide take my Carnival cruise in December, I'm thinking a $250.00 loss of my deposit might not be so bad after reading issues with Liberty.

Paul's article was very good but for the life of me I don't understand when a cruise line knows there's a problem with a ship how can they just send people on their way as they look away, that seems to be exactly what they have been doing up until Dream. How are they not liable when they know there's a problem but choose to ignore it. Not so sure I want to support a company like that.

Now talk about bad timing Liberty had many sick guests on the last day of a sailing this month, some claim Guy's burgers and other the chocolate bar.
Note to myself "STOP READING!"

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Admiral

You never know what is going to happen with machinery--a car is simply a piece of machinery all painted up and designed to get us there and back--a ship is just a floating piece of machinery designed to get us there and back-- in style and comfort, but still just a floating piece of machinery. Recently my car broke down--I put it in the garage--the next day my wife's car broke down-- had 2 cars in the same garage and 2 rentals all at the same time-- talk about some luck !
But, if one knew what the future was going to be, I guess one could make a fortune telling fortunes !

Aero Girl, if your Carnival cruise isn't until December you shouldn't lose any money and I know you had previously mentioned RCCL-- Seriously you might think about giving them another shot--I really love RCCL and especially the newer and larger class of ships--I bet it would be entirely different than your first cruise with them--I'm glad we decided to retry them again after our first cruise on their Grandeur of the Seas.---Just a thought.

Last edited by Ron; March 16th, 2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: adding to post
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Ok--I understand now about losing your deposit--it was on the E.S. plan.
My mistake! Sorry. I never use that--too many things can pop up.