Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Price drop question

OK - here goes again -- maybe you can help me figure it out. Prices of cruise dropped, so I emailed my TA who said I had a 270.00 onboard credit.
Now, when we originally booked this cruise it cost 2724.71 for the two of us. They waved the processing fee of 24.99 and if you take off the insurance of 198.00 that leaves a balance of 2526.71. At that time, the port fee and taxes were 501.72.

Now...after the price drop, I recieve a new invoice saying the total cruise is 1983.68 with cruise govt taxes and fees of 185.68 (not titled port charge here).

Thats a difference of 543.03. On the invoice it does say I have a 270 onboard credit.

Question.....where is the remaining 273.03 left??? You think this is a 270.00 per person credit???? It doesn't say that.
Need your input.
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Personally, I would ask my travel agent for a detailed description of the price you paid and the price you're now being charged.

First, they 'waived' the processing fee? Really? Almost all reputable agents do not charge any processing fees at all, so that should have told you something up front. Second, $198 for insurance for that amount of cruise seems a bit high. Third, you should have been provided confirmations on all the prices you paid.

But so you understand, the price you pay for a cruise (the price you see advertised) is for the cruise and port fees (port fees are not shown separately by law). On top of that are the taxes.

In your situation, you didn't mention if final payment has been made or not. If final payment has been made, you should have gotten an onboard credit for the total difference. If final payment has not been made, then your final payment would have been reduced. But as for the amount of onboard credit your getting and what it's for, only your agent can answer that.

Unfortunately, there's just not enough specific details in your post that we can provide you a more detailed description of what is being done/provided in your reservation. If your agent is not providing this to you, then it's time to get a new agent.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Pete,
thanks so much for answering. First..booked with cruisesonly with the same agent that I've used for years. Has provided very good service and fast replies to my emails. Unfortunately, we just had one mishap - where we had booked a cove balcony on the Breeze. I saw prices had dropped on this board and emailed her to check on it. She has always done this in the past and given us the credit. Well, she emailed back and said she was able to get a 270.00 onboard credit AND upgraded us to Deck 9 Lido by the pool (both balconies). I was most upset as we booked the Cove balcony for a reason --- AND she didn't even ask me! But all is back to norm now and we have our cove back. Aside of that......we booked early savers and the cruise is paid for in full since we sail May 11. On the ORIGINAL invoice here is what is said:
now the processing fee was waived as I said, but I think its a gimik as they never have charged me that (and I'm platinium)

Below is the total cost summary for your vacation:
Your price 2,000.00
Taxes and Port Charges: 501.72
Processing Fee: 24.99
Insurance: 198.00 (the insurance you said was high, but it depends on the cost of cruise I think.or number days?? Its an 8 nighter on the Breeze)
Total price 2724.71

NOW.......after all the price drop I went online and printed my invoice and this is what it says:
Total Cruise - 1983.68
Cruise rate: 1798.00
Cruise Government Taxes and Fees - 185.68

And at the bottom is a little box that has Onboard Credit: USD 270.00
Now, if you take all that difference excluding the insurance its a 543.03 difference ----- where is the other 273 in cyberspace?? I hope my TA can explain this to me.........unless you know???? Or someone else?
Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 21st, 2013, 10:25 PM
Admiral

I agree - the figures don't add up. Hopefully, your agent will be able to clarify everything.

I'd be curious to find out what you learn about all this.

Thanks for sharing!

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:44 AM
Admiral

PETE -I don't think my TA is to happy with me and all my questions. OH WELL!!!!!!!!!! But! I got it all back according to her as onboard credit - LESS the processing fee originally done of 24.99 (guess they do do this). So........518.04 onboard credit! Wahoo!!!!!!! Now.....thats alot of drinking! Guess I'll hit the spa (all excursions are paid for already). Great news! I'll find something to buy! Will be nice to have 0 balance leaving ship!! Thanks for your good advice!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Glad you got all of that back - good for you!! When you charge all your gratuities to your onboard account, that'll leave you enough for some fun. Enjoy a nice massage in the spa for all your effort.

As for your agent, I still think that sucks that you had to go through all that and then they have the audacity to charge you a processing fee! Really?? I've never charged a fee and never will - don't believe in it. And the overwhelming number of agents I know do not charge one. But to not be able to provide you detailed information about what's going on with your cruise is what bothers me the most. That's just inexcusable. A good agent will always give their clients everything the client needs to understand what's going on with their reservation and their money.

But I'm happy for you that everything worked out. Now you can relax and enjoy your cruise!

Pete
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Yup!! Plan on it!!! What travel agency are you from? Might have to book with you next.
Old March 24th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy View Post
OK - here goes again -- maybe you can help me figure it out. Prices of cruise dropped, so I emailed my TA who said I had a 270.00 onboard credit.
Now, when we originally booked this cruise it cost 2724.71 for the two of us. They waved the processing fee of 24.99 and if you take off the insurance of 198.00 that leaves a balance of 2526.71. At that time, the port fee and taxes were 501.72.

Now...after the price drop, I recieve a new invoice saying the total cruise is 1983.68 with cruise govt taxes and fees of 185.68 (not titled port charge here).

Thats a difference of 543.03. On the invoice it does say I have a 270 onboard credit.

Question.....where is the remaining 273.03 left??? You think this is a 270.00 per person credit???? It doesn't say that.
Need your input.
I would not trust (nor book) with anyone that charged a processing fee...waived or not.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014