CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival Triumph adrift again? (April 2013) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/395398-carnival-triumph-adrift-again-april-2013-a.html)

Snoozeman April 3rd, 2013 05:31 PM

Carnival Triumph adrift again? (April 2013)
 
I just had an email letting me know that the Carnival Triumph broke loose from her moorings during the current storm and is adrift in Mobile Bay.

I have no idea how many crew may be on board. I wonder if the TV news folks will make a big deal about this although can not be the fault of Carnival. (unless crew didn't inspect dock workers tie downs)

Snoozeman April 3rd, 2013 05:40 PM

Reports say that tugs have the Triumph pinned against a cargo ship.
Also reports of a damaged hull.

I wonder if this will effect the 1st scheduled June cruise.

Carnival: Please upgrade to 2.0 while she is in dry dock!!

Mike M April 3rd, 2013 06:09 PM

Two people were thrown into the water. The Coast Guard has recovered only one of them. My best hopes for the second.

It doesn't seem that Carnival can catch a break.

Take care,
Mike

Beau222 April 3rd, 2013 06:48 PM

Looks like a nasty gouge on the starboard stern, could not see the damage that is suppose to be on the bow.

Master Chief April 3rd, 2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1469168)
Two people were thrown into the water. The Coast Guard has recovered only one of them. My best hopes for the second.

It doesn't seem that Carnival can catch a break.

Take care,
Mike

Further report said that the breaking away of the Triumph and the gaurd shack blowing into the water were NOT related. I expect however, that somehow the media will try and make a big deal of it:(

jasonfromnj April 4th, 2013 02:02 AM

No tug boat next 2 the ship before the storm good job carnival so i guest that one or 2 more canceled cruise trips or do they just don't fix what they where going 2 do

Manuel April 4th, 2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1469168)
It doesn't seem that Carnival can catch a break.
,
Mike

When it rains it pours. :(

TM

Donna April 4th, 2013 03:16 AM

The story did make it on our local news, no, they haven't caught a break yet. I just hope they find the 2nd worker....

Snoozeman April 4th, 2013 07:35 AM

ABC's Nightline last night used it as an excuse to repeat about 8 minutes of the old 'onion sandwich' type stories.:rolleyes:

zydecocruiser April 4th, 2013 08:31 AM

I think cruise prices might have bottomed. Book 'em while you can.

Amazing how some are blaming Carnival for the weather or for a ship that isn't even in service.

I especially love reports that the ship was in "extended dry dock" . Must have been weather of biblical proportions if the ship broke loose and floated out of dry dock.

roflroflroflroflrofl

jasonfromnj April 4th, 2013 10:06 AM

Why wasn't the Ship Anchor Out .Yes it was Wet Dock but this was the Biggest Cruise ship ever in this river and a dead cruise ship is a big sail boat don't take much.Carnival,the Shipyard,River keeper ,US coast guard, City of MOBILE,the Insurance company. NOT one person. Lots of smart people in that one BIG GROUP and that what you get.

Snoozeman April 4th, 2013 01:43 PM

photo of recent damage
 
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Co...otoblog600.jpg

Donna April 4th, 2013 02:07 PM

That is a big ouch! I hope they can do the repairs right there and get Triumph back in service ASAP.

Ron April 4th, 2013 02:21 PM

Go get 'em Jason-- keep after 'em. You need to start getting in touch with the people in Carnival Headquarters to let them know what's happening
out here in the real cruising world !! ;) ;)
A ship floating around out there can't be good!

zydecocruiser April 4th, 2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1469200)
ABC's Nightline last night used it as an excuse to repeat about 8 minutes of the old 'onion sandwich' type stories.:rolleyes:

The Disney owned TV network took another cheap shot at Carnival? Shocking! rofl

zydecocruiser April 4th, 2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonfromnj (Post 1469216)
Why wasn't the Ship Anchor Out .Yes it was Wet Dock but this was the Biggest Cruise ship ever in this river and a dead cruise ship is a big sail boat don't take much.Carnival,the Shipyard,River keeper ,US coast guard, City of MOBILE,the Insurance company. NOT one person. Lots of smart people in that one BIG GROUP and that what you get.

Just evidence that Mobile can't handle cruise ships. rofl

jasonfromnj April 4th, 2013 03:17 PM

Good thing that wasn't a OIL Tanker it HIT.

Donna April 4th, 2013 04:33 PM

Any news on the missing worker yet??

Beau222 April 4th, 2013 10:10 PM

It was confirmed today that the mooring lines DID NOT BREAK it was the actual concrete around the bollards that collapsed. There was an actual tug that happened to be right next to the ship and attempted to push it back but was unable and was actually squeezed between the two ships and sustained damage also.

Beau222 April 4th, 2013 10:12 PM

The guard who was employed at the port for 18 years is still missing. Coast Guard has called off their search but the Sheriff is using Sonar still to try to find.

jasonfromnj April 5th, 2013 01:19 AM

Carnival to cheap 2 put the ship in dry dock

zydecocruiser April 5th, 2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau222 (Post 1469270)
It was confirmed today that the mooring lines DID NOT BREAK it was the actual concrete around the bollards that collapsed. There was an actual tug that happened to be right next to the ship and attempted to push it back but was unable and was actually squeezed between the two ships and sustained damage also.

This is more typical - something with the dock failing as opposed to a ship.

zydecocruiser April 5th, 2013 01:54 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...cs/29ur2oy.png

green_rd April 5th, 2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonfromnj (Post 1469281)
Carnival to cheap 2 put the ship in dry dock

I'm not a marine engineer like you, but I am guessing that a ship only actually goes into dry dock when they need to work on the hull below the water line.

Aerogirl April 5th, 2013 01:24 PM

I hope they do recover his body.
Rest in peace John R.(Buster) Johnson:(


Missing BAE employee remembered lovingly after Carnival Triumph crash (photos, video) | al.com

zydecocruiser April 5th, 2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1469294)
I'm not a marine engineer like you, but I am guessing that a ship only actually goes into dry dock when they need to work on the hull below the water line.

Usually. They also are not typically sitting idle and need to be scheduled in advance.

hpotterfan77 April 8th, 2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1469283)

I'm starting to think he works for a competing cruise line. All he does is bash Carnival.

CDrescher April 14th, 2013 08:15 AM

When any ship is put in for repairs, just like when you take your car to the garage. The shipyard not Carnival decide how and where to repair the ship.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1