Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Default Two Missing From Carnival Spirit

Let the media frenzy begin. Two passengers 'fall' overboard from Carnival Spirit in Australia.
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I held my breath when I heard the promo,and then heard Carnival. Even though these 2 jumpers, could have booked any line to do this, I wonder with the growing list of headlines, people are telling travel agents, I just won't sail Carnival.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 9th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

This came up at my day job.

I had to come to Carnival's defense... nobody that isn't already on the rails can fall off. The rails are chest high for cryin out loud.

The people around me are getting the impression the rails are knee high.

Old May 9th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Admiral

I believe the railings on Carnival ships are 42 inches high...almost four feet. Manute Bol might be able to claim he tripped over one without seeing it but not the typically sized human.
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Anyone with half a brain would not place blame with the cruise line no matter what line it is.......so let the brainless media chatter begin!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Admiral

I know the cruise lines have video cams almost everywhere but in order to start to fight back and protect themselves, I think they are going to have to install more alongside the ships to catch these so called " falls " on video and then when the media sharks start to swirl and swarm around, just step up and say--ok--here's what really happened--may be hard for some families to think their relatives acted in certain ways but unless the cruise lines start taking the offense, it's really going to get bad for them. especially Carnival.
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Admiral

They have ended the search. Here is an excerpt from an Australian newspaper:

VIDEO footage from aboard the Carnival Spirit cruise liner appears to show a young woman jump from the deck before her panic-stricken boyfriend follows her over the railing about 20 seconds later.

Old May 10th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am sure a lawyer is salivating somewhere in Sydney,and the family will, blame every staff person onboard, for something to try and understand,and try and sue for $$$$, stating, they were such a happy couple,and had no problems, etc.

It's a tragedy for the family..they will never understand why, but, it's not the fault of Carnival.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 10th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Admiral

I've said it more than once - the time is coming when we'll see balconies fenced in somehow. Screened porches.
Old May 10th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I just read the articles, too. It seems he jumped in to save her.

But he could have grabbed the life jackets from the room. I have no idea why so many people - especially young people (it seems to happen to people in their 20s a lot) jump from ships. You guys know I have written about it many time.

At this point I am personally getting to the point where if they did make the railings higher I would understand. It just seems wrong to have a business where people can do such a thing. Its also just s shame that we can never know what was going through their minds.

Like the girl who said she was leaning over and the next thing she knew she fell.

I will make a confession - one time on a very small ship that was stopped in open water I unconsciously jumped up to sit on the railing - not even thinking about how stupid that was. We were in a group of four people all just talking and I was leaning against the railing and I like to sit. Fortunately, the people with me went - "wait!, what are you doing?" And I was like "wow, I just wasn't thinking."

I know personally it can happen - people unintentionally putting themselves over. They do it themselves by mistake. But if no one sees you do it, then you are not going to be rescued. I hate to say it, but higher railings do make sense. Just for incident like that where people didn't realize who stupid they were acting.

You really have to wonder - how many of these are suicides, how many are people who think they can survive, and how many are just mistakes (and I won't call them "dumb" mistakes anymore since even I have almost personally done it).
Old May 10th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Wasn't there a proposal to raise them to 54 inches a couple years ago? I also like your idea in another thread to not make railings smooth surfaces.
Old May 10th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Admiral

That would make my 4'7" DW happy - she could look under the rails but would mean no more leaning for her. "Enclosed" balconies we certainly reduce my interest in booking one.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old May 10th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I think they could find plenty of balcony railing designs that are safer that you would find to be appealing enough that it wouldn't bother you.

This one is five feet: and when you elevate it and add something in top (to make it less likely someone would try to go over) it reaches six feet. It isn't like an open view but it is pleasant looking. If you make it tall enough that no one could squeeze over the top I don;t think this would be that bad (It might even make a ship look more interesting from the outside, instead of like modern Portuguese apartment buildings.

But what you really need is something people cannot climb over and has barbs at the top:

Old May 10th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Maybe they should just seal all the balconies, put in windows and forget the balconies--if they start screening, putting bars , etc on the balconies, I'll just book an outside cabin and forget the balcony. But it doesn't matter in the long run, as you can't fix stupid and even if a ship had no balconies, there would still be people go over on occasion, simply due to the larger number of people sailing now and the number of cruise ships afloat.
There's simply no way you can protect people from themselves--when you consider the number of people who cruise in a years time ( which I believe amounts to somewhere close 20 million world wide,) and the minute number of people who are injured or go overboard, the number is miniscule---in comparison, if I heard the news correctly tonight, we have about 17 thousand deaths a year in auto crashes, mostly due to speed, alcohol and drugs.
Yet, no one is for lowering the speed limit, increasing the cops on the roads, limiting the alcohol people can buy, etc--we just hear about it when it happens close home and --oh well-- another car wreck!
If 25 people a year went overboard from cruise ships there would be a hue and cry heard round the world from all the do-gooder politicians that are after the badly run, dangerous cruise lines.
I still say the cruise lines have to start being on the offense instead of always on the defense when it's plainly not their fault that some nut case goes overboard. Sure, the family wouldn't necessarily want to see a video of one of their offspring or family members climbing around drunk on a balcony or taking a swan dive overboard, but the when the lawyers (aka sharks) start swimming around the money pot, these videos should be shown by the cruise line with an explanation of --ok, here's what really happened--see for yourself.
The one thing they need to do, as as far as I know it's not done, is to post warming signs on the balconies to not be climbing on them-- like the old lady who spilled hot coffee in her lap and sued McDonald's and got several million mainly because of the sympathy factor and too, they didn't have a notation on the coffee cup advising it was hot ---duh !
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Familiar Face

Latest information (video) shows girl jumping, landing on life boat and the guy climbed down trying to save her and they both went into the water. Especially sad since one had parents with them.
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Familiar Face

Putting a warning on the balcony railing would be like putting a warning on the dash board of a car saying that you could be injured or killed in a crash. Only a moron would nedd that kind of a warning.
Old May 16th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Captain

Welcome to the world we live in where stupidity grows daily. New laws and measures to protect us from ourselves.

YEARS ago I seen a sticker on the underside of the sun visor on a Jeep Cherokee that said something like, "Avoid speed in sharp turns: may cause vehicle to flip." Well duh!

I wouldn't be surprised if some measure will come to modify the balconies in some way. An attempt at labelling the danger will likely come first. Something will likely sneak it's way into the cruise contract as well (if it's not already there).

Krunch
Eastern Caribbean - Dream (B2B) - November, 2013 (Our Wedding)
Mexician Riviera - Spirit - November, 2011
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Admiral

I didn't say putting a warning on the railing would keep any nutcase from going over-- it would be just another step to protect the cruise lines-- you're right--to a moron a warning label wouldn't matter anyway-- but moronic actions win lawsuits all the time.
As long as you have more and more ships and millions of people cruising , there will always be a very, very few who will find some way to go overboard, balcony or not. Even if you completely encased the ship in a cocoon, there would be someone who would fall down the elevator shaft or something similar, such as from the top restaurant level down to the lower level, landing in the middle of someone's dinner and so it goes.
Old June 10th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

I would bet that 99% of cruisers who go overboard are either intoxicated or on on drugs.
I also remember the couple who was using the railing during sex and fell overboard. They were saved. Lots of video footage and embarrassment.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I actually I just read that there was a rule to raise them and it has resulted in fewer overboards. THAT shows that a lot of the overboards are related to people making stupid and rash decisions, like maybe just deciding to try to sit up there.
Old June 10th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I think they could find plenty of balcony railing designs that are safer that you would find to be appealing enough that it wouldn't bother you.

This one is five feet: and when you elevate it and add something in top (to make it less likely someone would try to go over) it reaches six feet. It isn't like an open view but it is pleasant looking. If you make it tall enough that no one could squeeze over the top I don;t think this would be that bad (It might even make a ship look more interesting from the outside, instead of like modern Portuguese apartment buildings.

But what you really need is something people cannot climb over and has barbs at the top:

The second one is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I could just see spearing your neck or arm on the posts if the ship was rocking and you were out on the balcony.

A six foot tall, iron railing, on the balcony would probably end cruising for me. I don't like the idea of being in prison and that is what that type of set up would feel like to me. I would also not live in place where I had to put bars on my windows.

I think 5'4" is high enough.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 10th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Admiral

I agree with you Mike it would be like prison . The rate of people falling off ship is really low when you factor in the amount of people who cruise so I don't see the lines taking such drastic steps or at least I hope not.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Familiar Face

What a waste of life.