Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Changed our Ship.....

WE have booked for a cruise in April 2014 out of New Orleans on the "new" Sunshine. We checking rates today and they have changed ships. We are now on the Dream...... Is that good or bad? Never been on the dream. We really looking forward to the Sunshine but oh well.

Holiday 2002
Conquest 2004
Sensation 2008
Splendor 2009
Elation 2010
Truimph 2011
Conquest 2012
Elation 2012
Elation 2012 (B2B)
Conquest 2013
Sunshine 2014
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Admiral

I have never been on Dream but that's not right that they can do that, did they give you the option to cancel? Dream is one ship I have no desire to cruise on, some love it some hate it. Sorry to hear they did that to you but I see they moved many ships around.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, they gave us several options to change the booking or cancel and they will pay any cancellation fees for air and stuff. And they won't charge you to cancel. Why do you say you wouldn't want to cruise on the Dream?

Holiday 2002
Conquest 2004
Sensation 2008
Splendor 2009
Elation 2010
Truimph 2011
Conquest 2012
Elation 2012
Elation 2012 (B2B)
Conquest 2013
Sunshine 2014
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Admiral

It's only due to the size and I hear its very crowded, these are just some opinions and other really like the ship. I don't know maybe being in you position I would feel differently but I think if I were going to go on such a big ship I would go on Allure or Oasis. Bottom line it's a cruise and you have to judge for yourself.

~Robin~

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old June 28th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Admiral

I think I would have just cancelled. Then look for another cruise that I wanted to go on. Many things to consider. How does the ships compare. What is the Itinerary. What are the dates. Those things have to fill my agenda. If you are ok with the changes then go and have a wonderful cruise.
Old June 28th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Its the only ship that goes out of New Orleans and we can't afford to fly. We drive to the port. I think it will be a great cruise. We have been on the Splendor and the Dream is comparable to it. The only time we ever notice the crowd on any ship is at the Lido deck at Embarkation. Other than that we never know how many people are on board. The ports are awesome. Belize and Island of Roatan. Never been to those. I think it will be great. And its cheaper and we get $50 pp OBC!!!! Thats always a plus

Holiday 2002
Conquest 2004
Sensation 2008
Splendor 2009
Elation 2010
Truimph 2011
Conquest 2012
Elation 2012
Elation 2012 (B2B)
Conquest 2013
Sunshine 2014
Old June 28th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Admiral

I have not sailed the "Sunshine" but did sail this ship 3 times the first couple of years it was in service as the Destiny.When it first entered service, it was at that time the largest cruise ship out there, at 101,353 tons. It had a passenger capacity of 2652 with a crew of 1150.
Since the overhaul and refitting, name change, etc, the tonnage , or size, increased very slightly to 102,853, and the passenger capacity jumped to 3006, with the crew remaining at 1150.
The Dream is somewhat larger at approx. 128,000 tons , 3652 passenger capacity and a crew of 1369.
I've sailed the Dream twice , with a cruise booked on it for Jan.
Everyone is different in what they want and expect but I have not really seen anything on the Dream that would get me to cancel or change my plans, if the itin., etc. were the same and you had the same type accommodations you would have had on the Sunshine.
As far as being crowded, if you look at a ship of approx. 103,000 tons with 3006 passengers and a ship at approx 128,000 tons with 3652 passengers, I can't see there's a lot of difference as far as being crowded.
To each his / her own, but you always hear good / bad things about any ship. If you want to cancel and change ships or cruise lines, I wouldn't necessarily do it because the Dream is " so big "--there's not that much difference when you break it down.
The thing I don't care for on the Dream class ships is that promenade going all the way around the ship and instead of being flush with the sides of the ship, it juts out, then the life boats are hung on that so when you look down from your balcony, you'll not be looking directly down to the water, but directly down onto the promenade deck. That's a minor thing and has not kept me from sailing on the Dream but if I had a preference, I'd rather they made it flush with the sides of the ship.
I would think you would enjoy the Dream, but as said, we all have our little likes and dislikes. Whatever you do, have a good cruise.
Old June 28th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Admiral

I'm sure it will be a great cruise, you will have to let me know.
Ron I do remember you liking Dream.

~Robin~

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old June 28th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The ships change in April - they should have told you that. If you really want to go on Sunshine they might move your cruise to a few weeks earlier.

Personally, Sunshine is more interesting because it is new (madeover, anyway) and has all the funship 2.0 upgrades.

Carnival Dream is nice, but it is not a FunShip 2.0 ship. It also gets more complaints than a lot of Carnival ships because it is big and frankly crowded.

It is 6 of one, half dozen of the other, Dream is newer and bigger, Sunshine is just remodeled to make it a fully "up-to-date" Carnival ship.

I am guessing that you will have a good cruise no matter what, but if you really want to go on Sunshine see if you can move the cruise date. Did you go through a travel agent? (I hope)

Old June 29th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

It sure was interesting watching all the changes! I feel bad for the people that lost ships at their home ports and now must travel though. Still lucky here having several choices.

I really like the Dream and am going to miss her in PC. Canceled our Dec. '14 Southern Dream cruise and have booked her for the repositioning cruise instead. They're bringing the Liberty to PC along with the Sunshine, that makes me happy.

I think if I had young children I'd prefer the Sunshine but without kids give me the Dream with the Spa and nice private coves
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Familiar Face

I don't know if this will help, but here are the pictures of our TransAtlantic on the Dream. Maybe some of the shots of the ship might help. We've been on the Destiny (before its transformation) and the Dream----they are both wonderful vacation spots. whichever you choose you'll have a great time! If you'd like to see them just click below----feel free to skip the non Dream specific shots.

Our 2009 DREAM vacation
Old June 30th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

We changed our window room to a Cove Balcony. I've heard these are nice. We are keeping the same sail date. I think it will be an awesome cruise. I'll let you know in 299 days Thanks for all the great comments and for the pictures!!!!

Holiday 2002
Conquest 2004
Sensation 2008
Splendor 2009
Elation 2010
Truimph 2011
Conquest 2012
Elation 2012
Elation 2012 (B2B)
Conquest 2013
Sunshine 2014
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

It's not nice when our plans get unexpectedly tossed around! We had to make a couple of adjustments too. I hope you'll enjoy the Dream as much as we did, she's a nice ship. I wouldn't want a balcony overlooking the lanai but the coves are great.

We had cove 2349 which was in a quiet location and not nearly as wet as those further forward in rough seas. I couldn't say one thing that we didn't like about the cove, it really felt like we were cruising while on the balcony so close to the water We purchased the weekly spa package for 2 and highly recommend it if you're into relaxing time too. Trying a spa balcony on our next one, hope we like it as much as the cove.

Really liked the crew on the Dream too, you'll have a great time!
Old July 1st, 2013, 10:33 AM
Familiar Face

You should say thank you by rebooking on another line. Both ships are crowded.

It funny watching those make excuses for the Sunshine being it's port intensive now.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dream Cruise

Cruises are what you make them. Some people like them, some people don't. Thats what is so neat, each person gets to pick their own cruise line, ship and activities. We are going to have an awesome time!!!!!!! (on Carnival Dream)

Holiday 2002
Conquest 2004
Sensation 2008
Splendor 2009
Elation 2010
Truimph 2011
Conquest 2012
Elation 2012
Elation 2012 (B2B)
Conquest 2013
Sunshine 2014
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by averrette View Post
Cruises are what you make them. Some people like them, some people don't. Thats what is so neat, each person gets to pick their own cruise line, ship and activities. We are going to have an awesome time!!!!!!! (on Carnival Dream)
Yes you will!

~Robin~

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:43 PM
Admiral

I agree with you whole hardheartedly---- you will have an awesome cruise on
the Dream.
Old July 6th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Familiar Face

I'm in the opposite position as you. We had booked a cruise on the Dream for next summer and found out we are now on the Sunshine.

We have sailed on the Dream before and were going to do it again. I like the ship. The kids loved the waterworks. DH and I loved the spa. I think you will have a great cruise on Dream.
Carnival Dream (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya) - June '11
Carnival Freedom (Key West, Grand Cayman, Jamaica) Dec. '12
Carnival Sunshine (Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) - June '14
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sunshine

Well, the Sunshine looks great and it has Guys Burgers!!!!! The Dream doesn't. Be sure to eat several a day for us

Holiday 2002
Conquest 2004
Sensation 2008
Splendor 2009
Elation 2010
Truimph 2011
Conquest 2012
Elation 2012
Elation 2012 (B2B)
Conquest 2013
Sunshine 2014