Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Familiar Face

Interesting thread.

Paul, I suspect a good amount of the hand wringing regarding Carnival indeed comes from those travel agents (mostly not identifying themselves as such) who have found their commissions cut by Carnival.

I'm not loyal to any cruise line. I've sailed HAL, Carnival NCL, Royal, and Celebrity. Never had a bad cruise. As has been said before, they are all more similar than different.

Some emphasize one feature over another, but in general terms, this is what I've observed...

-Royal has the biggest ships
-NCL has the best entertianment
-Carnival has the least amount of "nickel and dime" venues (as you pointed out) and the best food

They all offer good service.

I remember when Delta Airlines started to cut out commissions on booking their tickets through travel agents. I had an agent who said she would book me on anything except Delta. Short sighted on her part, as all airlines cut commissions and she lost not only my business travel business, but my vacation travel business, too.

Carnival may have cut their commissions, but there are other ways to make money in the travel industry.

I'm Sailing the Breeze in two weeks. I'm very much looking forward to that. I expect I'll get a beautiful ship, with great service, good food, fun entertainment, stopping off in pretty locales. That doesn't sound bad in my book.
-2007 RCCL Liberty of the Seas-Caribbean
-2010-2011 Carnival Freedom New Years cruise-Caribbean, NCL Epic
-2011-Celebrity Solstice
-2012RCCL Allure of the Seas
-2013-NCL Breakaway and CCL Breeze
Old August 10th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I was also wondering how many of the nay-sayers here might be travel agents.

I have to say travel agents could represent themselves in a far better light by just saying "we don't like the fact that Carnival cut our commissions" than it does to criticize them just to hurt their business.

Trust in the advice in a travel agent is an agent's most important asset. If a travel agent is insulting Carnival publicly (without disclosing the real reason he is upset), or steering clients who want Carnival away from the line, I would be very disappointed in the way that person represents his profession. That is just plain street fighting tactics that hurts the client as much as it hurts the travel agent.

I know our resident agent here at CM, Pete Peterson, has been very forthright in telling us the truth about changes in Carnival's commission policy, which is an aid to cruisers going to agents who may not understand why there is a sudden "dislike" for what agents used to consider a popular cruise line.
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Familiar Face

People misbehaving is hardly unique to Carnival, so it is something that can easily be predicted. The ship had a security team. If supplies are limited, then Carnival should know enough to ration the supplies. There are many reasons issues on the Splendor did not degrade to the level that they did on the Triumph. Sure, maybe on the average the average moral fiber of the Splendor passengers was higher than that of the Triumph passengers, but also Carnival handled thing on the Splendor much better than Carnival did on the Triumph.
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Admiral

my very first cruise EVER was on Carnival Ecstacy many years ago. I have wonderful memories of that cruise. I think food and service surpassed what I see now (but I was also an impressionable young person with a fairly inexperience palatte).

DH and I cruised a bit in our early marriage (royal and princess).

Then after a long break, we gave DREAM a try. I gave that cruise a very harsh review, but in fairness, I acknowledged that things may have changed during my break in cruising (and they did). We immediately took a Royal cruise, so we could compare, but we compared a very old Sovereign to a brand new DREAM. Dream won out.

But then to be uber fair, we went on Freedom, and Royal won out.

Until the events of the last year or two, I would have been open to sailing Carnival again (for the right price). But with all of the negative news coverage, they wont get me back as a passenger for a very long time. Splendour and Triumph will have to be displaced in my memory before I book them again. Even Dream has had its problems.

Recent news coverage aside, my biggest complaint with Carnival is service. I think service is truly what sets a cruiseline apart.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Familiar Face

Already been on three times and the last time was the last. Carnival is fine as a ferry boat, but it just does not cut it anymore as a cruising line. Its now just a party ship similar to Celebration out of FLL. I believe,that when you get too big you begin to loose your grip.
I'am only evaluating Carnival and not the whole Corporation, HAL and Princess are doing fine. The ships are getting bigger and Carnival is neglecting passenger/space ratio. We feel like sardines inside a metal can.
Old August 14th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Admiral

I thought Royal was just fine as a garbage scow.

Yes, it seems travel agents and trolls have arrived.
Old August 14th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post

Thank for your opinion.

I must be a piece of garbage because I have sailed on Royal 5 times and I have enjoyed them all.
And I do plan on sailing on Royal again.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!

Last edited by Manuel; August 14th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrosado1 View Post
Already been on three times and the last time was the last. Carnival is fine as a ferry boat, but it just does not cut it anymore as a cruising line. Its now just a party ship similar to Celebration out of FLL. I believe,that when you get too big you begin to loose your grip.
I'am only evaluating Carnival and not the whole Corporation, HAL and Princess are doing fine. The ships are getting bigger and Carnival is neglecting passenger/space ratio. We feel like sardines inside a metal can.
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion but your comment verified you probably have never cruised on Carnival as there is not even a shred of comparison between Carnival and celebration . Once again for all the people who say its a party ship I have yet to find this "party" not sure what your definition of party is.
I get some dont care for Carnival but let's not make up stuff just to make your view better. Any line that offers 3,4, or 5 day cruises will be a little more wild than one thats 7 days plus.

We all know what they say about oppinions
Not sure why people feel the need to knock others choice and insist their view is the right view, cruise and be happy!

TM....I don't think ZC was directing that toward you. I believe it was meant for the troll and the TA's who seem to have issues with Carnival and their commission .

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post

TM....I don't think ZC was directing that toward you. I believe it was meant for the troll and the TA's who seem to have issues with Carnival and their commission .
I don't think he was referring to me but I am insulted that he would refer to any cruiseship as a (garbage scow) .

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Cruise Queen ...

You mention the entertainment, as I just said above, I will be honest and say I have not seen the new Hasbro shows or Playlist production shows. But I have to say I would personally never sit through a Hasbro game show. That seems to be such a sell-out to kid mentality, which is not "cruising."

Disney's entertainment is fantastic, but they manage to appeal to kids and adults alike without offending anyone. That is why they are the kings.

Is the new FunShip 2.0 Entertainment that bad? I have actually been curious about this for awhile now.
Hi Paul

We did not care for 2.0 entertainment at all....But then again we cruised on Oasis and Allure where entertainment is top notch. Even my recent Explorer cruise which is an older ship had much better shows then the Breeze cruise.....I don't think Hasbro game show with all the screaming kids and adults should be "the evening entertainment" it was the only thing we had to do one night.

Music and dance was another issue....where are the bands and music?? No dance classes either...

My Mini Me was not pleased with the teen program and stayed in the cabin most of cruise...

On a positive note the food was good and no complaints on service and ship itself is nice. But it's not enough to get me back on a Carnival ship.

Everyone I know that has cruised on Disney loves it...I hear their service and shows are the best. I would love to cruise on Disney Fantasy the rates are on the high side....One day I will..

Happy Cruising Everyone!!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Yes, it seems travel agents and trolls have arrived.
Question??? why do you get so insulted if anyone has a negative comment on Carnival?? What good is Cruisemates if only positive comments should be posted.

If negative comments bother you that much that you need to call other cruisers/cruiselines Garbage scow maybe it would be good to take a break from the boards.

My cruiseline preference is Royal...It's the perfect fit for me however I could not care less who loves Royal and who hates it.

I actually like reading both positive AND negative comments/reviews on all ships/cruiselines.

Do you think anyone with a negative comment is a troll???

I'm glad you have many cruises with Carnival and enjoy them.

Happy Cruising!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Admiral

CQ
I can see where your coming from. In just the short time I've kind of gotten to know you your a very energetic women who loves the live music and dancing and I can say I do believe RC fits the bill for that much more than Carnival does. Carnival in my opinion is not a high energy cruise or at least the ones I've been on. While there are things going on that I find entertaining I can see how it falls short for you.
I believe you had posted something like "who cares what line just cruise" I couldn't agree more.

One more thing , my cruise partners and I all agreeded today that Allure will be our next cruised booked.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
CQ
I can see where your coming from. In just the short time I've kind of gotten to know you your a very energetic women who loves the live music and dancing and I can say I do believe RC fits the bill for that much more than Carnival does. Carnival in my opinion is not a high energy cruise or at least the ones I've been on. While there are things going on that I find entertaining I can see how it falls short for you.
I believe you had posted something like "who cares what line just cruise" I couldn't agree more.

One more thing , my cruise partners and I all agreeded today that Allure will be our next cruised booked.
Hi Aero!! Any comments I made on Breeze good or bad was my cruise experience. You may love, like or hate Allure and I want to hear all about it when you get back. Allure is my girl love her but it's not for everyone either.

Negative comments are also helpful to cruisers. Cruisers can decide if one cruisers negative is their negative also. After all we all have different positives and negatives...

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post
Hi Aero!! Any comments I made on Breeze good or bad was my cruise experience. You may love, like or hate Allure and I want to hear all about it when you get back. Allure is my girl love her but it's not for everyone either.

Negative comments are also helpful to cruisers. Cruisers can decide if one cruisers negative is their negative also. After all we all have different positives and negatives...

I get it, don't you know you have to go with us on Allure
Im to the point where I'm ready to try new thing after all how do you know what you really like, time changes people and I'm ready for a different cruise experience.
We knew a while back that our upcoming Carnival cruise was going to be our last for at least a little while and if we hadn't booked ES we would of cancelled when the Triumph faltered. As I have said all along we have had a great time on Carnival but were ready to spread our wings. I really don't think I'll dislike Allure, whats not to like .

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:32 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Cruise Queen ...

You mention the entertainment, as I just said above, I will be honest and say I have not seen the new Hasbro shows or Playlist production shows. But I have to say I would personally never sit through a Hasbro game show. That seems to be such a sell-out to kid mentality, which is not "cruising."

Disney's entertainment is fantastic, but they manage to appeal to kids and adults alike without offending anyone. That is why they are the kings.

Is the new FunShip 2.0 Entertainment that bad? I have actually been curious about this for awhile now.
If you don't like the Hasbro game you should definitely go to the Love and Marriage game or listen to your fellow pax do karaoke.

Don't worry about the cabins being too hot to sleep in also. There have been plenty of complaints about the cabin temps.

Live music at the pool is a real hit these days too.

Enjoy the Fun farewell party too.

Bill
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:

I agree with that, but I don't accept calling a ship ( garbage scow ) just because you don't like it.

I am not a fan of Carnival but I understand that we all have different tastes.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I don't think he was referring to me but I am insulted that he would refer to any cruiseship as a (garbage scow) .

TM
I was insulted that someone would refer to the Fun Ships as ferries (which they are not). Why the double standard?
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I was insulted that someone would refer to the Fun Ships as ferries (which they are not). Why the double standard?
Ferries carry people!

Garbage scows carry garbage.

TM

Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Ferries carry people!

Garbage scows carry garbage.

TM

Ferries provide transportation. So do garbage scows.
Old August 15th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:

I understand perfectly!

However I am not interested in being transported by a garbage scow.

I have however been in a couple of ferry boats.

TM

Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Admiral

We've been cruising since 1976 and haven't been tempted to book Carnival yet. I believe we've been on all the other popularly priced lines plus a couple in the high end.

I'm sure it has its good points, but I can't believe it would be better for us than the lines we use now.
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Hi Paul

We did not care for 2.0 entertainment at all....But then again we cruised on Oasis and Allure where entertainment is top notch. Even my recent Explorer cruise which is an older ship had much better shows then the Breeze cruise.....I don't think Hasbro game show with all the screaming kids and adults should be "the evening entertainment" it was the only thing we had to do one night.

Music and dance was another issue....where are the bands and music?? No dance classes either...

My Mini Me was not pleased with the teen program and stayed in the cabin most of cruise...

On a positive note the food was good and no complaints on service and ship itself is nice. But it's not enough to get me back on a Carnival ship.

Everyone I know that has cruised on Disney loves it...I hear their service and shows are the best. I would love to cruise on Disney Fantasy the rates are on the high side....One day I will..

Happy Cruising Everyone!!!
I have to agree that the Hasbro Game Show is not my idea of "fun". I have yet to hear anyone say they "REALLY" liked it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
On Triumph the cruise line got blamed for everything when in fact there were a lot of passengers who misbehaved, breaking into rooms to steal alcohol, etc. They had to cut off access to alcohol because some people were getting drunk and very disorderly, essentially acting as if since it was open season to do misbehave.

Here is the thing - you can't blame a person or a cruise line for problems they couldn't see coming. They didn't know people in the front of the food line would take almost all the food put out and leave nothing but onions on the sandwiches that had been prepared for hundreds of people. People were also seen taking trays full of pastries, etc. The cruise line didn't know people would get drunk and disorderly until it happened, and then they implemented the security, but it was too late.
Paul,
Your appreciation of people's behavior and the inability of cruise lines to predict it is a bit naive.

In a crisis situation the best and the worst will come out in people. It's Psych 101. The Senior Officers and Security should be educated in this and have procedures in place to handle it. This is standard Emergency Management training.

Your analogy of the bank employee who, after years of loyal service, decides to rob the bank isn't the same. There was no sudden crisis that triggers the act. That would be something that the bank could not "foresee". If the person was recently disciplined, reprimanded or scheduled for termination then that would be a different story and management is educated on what to do and watch for in an employee after corrective action or what to do if terminated. That's why bank employees, with access to data or funds, don't get a "two week notice." When people are emotional and afraid is when they do things you'd never expect.

Was Triumph as bad as the media made out? No. Was it a fun five days of camping at sea? Far from it.

People are complex but you can always count on them to do things under pressure. The right thing and the wrong thing.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 16th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Was Triumph as bad as the media made out? No. Was it a fun five days of camping at sea? Far from it.

People are complex but you can always count on them to do things under pressure. The right thing and the wrong thing.

Take care,
Mike
I enjoy camping. at sea would be a bonus.

The cruise was about over anyway and much of it was fun. They got that part free. Plus another cruise. Plus the camping trip.

I think the people who couldn't/wouldn't/refused to follow simple instructions certainly made it worse for themselves and sometimes others. There was relatively little criticism of the crew and mostly praise.

The officers and crew couldn't exactly force people at gunpoint to follow instructions.
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Many years ago the Carnival experience was "Party Party Party" I well remember seeing people passed out on floors in the lobby. That was on the Festivale during my first cruise in 1983. In 1984 I had a similar experience on Mardi Gras. I nearly gave up on cruising. In the late 80's I went on Carnival Celebration and noticed a slight shift toward less party time and new attitudes from the cruise line. I repeated the Celebration the next year and again was pleasantly surprised. I stopped cruising due my Mothers illness. I next cruised in 2004 on Carnival Spirit and noticed a huge difference in the experience. The parties of old were gone. The cruise ship was filled with families and the atmosphere was nicer. What a nice difference. If there were an award for most changed cruise line then Carnival would win it. I still hear people with that attitude that Carnival is all party. I bet if they would try it they might change their mind.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 17th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Many years ago the Carnival experience was "Party Party Party" I well remember seeing people passed out on floors in the lobby. That was on the Festivale during my first cruise in 1983. In 1984 I had a similar experience on Mardi Gras. I nearly gave up on cruising. In the late 80's I went on Carnival Celebration and noticed a slight shift toward less party time and new attitudes from the cruise line. I repeated the Celebration the next year and again was pleasantly surprised. I stopped cruising due my Mothers illness. I next cruised in 2004 on Carnival Spirit and noticed a huge difference in the experience. The parties of old were gone. The cruise ship was filled with families and the atmosphere was nicer. What a nice difference. If there were an award for most changed cruise line then Carnival would win it. I still hear people with that attitude that Carnival is all party. I bet if they would try it they might change their mind.

Laura
I couldn't agree more Laura. As I have stated time after time I have yet to find the party that one speak of.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 17th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Admiral

The tamest New Years eve party I've ever attended was on Carnival Legend a few years ago.
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12

First off myself I have done all most nothing but CCL cruises. I have noticed the budget cuts but, they haven't affected me and the way I like to cruise. Yes the negative press has turned many people away for me it gets me a 7 day with an ocean view for under a 1,000. Price is my biggest factor in cruising which I know brings a certian "you get what you pay for" but I just have not had a problem. I read tons of reviews and I truly find that most people just let small things snow ball then next thing you know those people entire vacation is ruined. I am not one of those people, I broke my foot on one cruise and still had a good time even tho it was a task needless to say even getting crutches. Things that go beyond the control of Carnival like the people on board, look we all have partied our asses off at one time or another. People have talked about people passed out on the floor of the original ships, so this is not exactly a new problem. My wife and I went on a Spring break 4 day cruise and we both sat there and marveled and the youth of today. We are not old either She being 22 and myself 29. The way they acted was not to put in better terms was not classy in the least. But how can you blame them most of them this is there first vacation with out mom or dad and they simply let lose. Now we have all been there and done that. So all the people who are complaining about the type of people on board and how it ruins there cruise don't take in account the show that these kids put on all day and night which is the best show on board. In the end Carnival offers good ports of call at great prices. They are an older fleet and don't have the MEGA ship to charge 1,300 for room like other lines. People who love to cruise on Carnival love it for what it is. Diverse travel companions, party till you can't stop and beaches in between who and more partying. If you roll with it you too can be the 45 year old who tries to party with the 20 something year olds on board. (true story bleached hair and all)
CCL Destiny 5 Day Eastern 2009
CCL Fascination 5 Day Western 2008
RCI Majsity Of The Seas 4 Day Eastern 2007
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2005
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Ferries provide transportation for people and cars. A garbage scow provides transportation for garbage.
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default A response to the original op-ed piece

The short answer is simply yes. I would cruise Carnival again.
But I disagree with the basic premise of the main article, which seems to be "Hey, s**t happens".
I think the cruise industry in general does a poor job of handling emergencies and I don't think it is going to change, either. Concordia was not the wake up call it needed to be (muster drills now mandated early seems to be the industry's hand wringing response... big deal). The Carnival fiascos point to poor naval architecture, poor project management during new builds, and poor crew training. In ALL cruise ship major incidents in the last 10 or 20 years, how many people stated over and over that the public announcements either were non-exixtant or severely understated the problems.
Remember the Ecstasy fire in '97 ? A fire that started in a closet... a closet ! ... disabled the ship. TV video showed a waiter dangling a fire hose off the Lido deck in an apparent idea that dribbling water down the side of the ship would help. Carnival actually said it was proud of the brave performance of it's firefighting team.
The Oceanus (sp?) off South Africa was abandoned by her crew so early that her pianist had to coordinate the evacuation.
A Princess ship made an emergency turn due to an "accidental order" from the bridge. Injuries and mayhem
Several crewmen killed in a fire on Noordam some years ago.
A Norwegian ship encountered a rogue wave with predictable results that were apparently unpredicted.
The list goes on.
I have cruised 17 times and none of these events has discouraged me from this pleasure. In fact, I just booked another cruise. But I am a realist who ALWAYS pays attention to my surroundings. If I was truly worried about it I simply wouldn't cruise. But I think your opinion piece does a dis-service to readers when it glosses over problems within the cruise industry.