Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizer View Post
Ferries provide transportation for people and cars. A garbage scow provides transportation for garbage.
both are basically barges. both are insults.
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

You quote "60 people died on a train accident in France just last month because the conductor fell asleep at the wheel."

I presume you are refering to the accident in Paris on July 13th this year, which makes your statement wrong in so many ways and gives people the totally wrong information.
The accident at Bretigny-sur-Orge station, outside Paris, resulting in the deaths of 6 people, was caused by a loose connecting plate in a junction switch in similar circumstances to the derailment at Potters Bar, North of London, England in 2002 where 7 people died. All this information can readily be verified on the internet.

John (cruising for over 10 years, and like the smaller ships best)
Old August 24th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

They are referring to the Spanish train accident in July.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 28th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Admiral

My next Carnival cruise sails in 16 days - on FRIDAY the 13th! No worries.
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
my next carnival cruise sails in 16 days - on friday the 13th! No worries. Rofl
have fun!!!!!!!
CCL Destiny 5 Day Eastern 2009
CCL Fascination 5 Day Western 2008
RCI Majsity Of The Seas 4 Day Eastern 2007
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2005
Old August 28th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
They are referring to the Spanish train accident in July.

Take care,
Mike
See how quickly people forget? 60 people died, and he didn't even know what I was referring to. But if I said "30 people missing from a cruise ship that hit a rock" he would know immediately.
Old August 28th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
See how quickly people forget? 60 people died, and he didn't even know what I was referring to. But if I said "30 people missing from a cruise ship that hit a rock" he would know immediately.
Your so right Paul!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 28th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I think the thing that I disagree with is what i would call "Monday Morning Quarterbacking."

It is very easy to say someone should have seen something coming in hindsight - but how many of us can say we have never been blindsided by an unexpected event?

I was in a car accident where somebody pulled out in front of us - it was actually following another car that had crossed the highway in front of us about 30 seconds earlier.

When the first car went I said "that was the stupidest maneuver I have ever seen a driver do in my entire life."

I was wrong, the stupidest was yet to come, the second car that pulled out directly in front of us which we hit while going 65 miles per hour.

I have seen and heard cruise reporters saying they "know" Carnival went slack on their ship maintenance. I asked them how they know and the answer was "look at how badly they handled the PR on the situation," and "Micky Arison tweeted from a basketball game during the Triumph crisis."

Yes, that was really bad handling of public relations, but how does that prove a completely separate division in Carnival slipped up and cheated on maintenance before the event. It doesn't. I personally disagree with people being negatively judgemental of the actions of others in one situation based on things they may have done in unaffiliated events. I call that prejudicial thinking.

John Heald said that his biggest fear was that the passengers on the ship would lose control. He did a great job of keeping them calm. Unfortunately, (as you said Mike) you cannot control what others decide to do, and the same was not true of the Triumph passengers. And after that Carnival took action by cutting off the alcohol, for example.

But there is no way anyone can predict everything a person will do. And based on what I heard, the famous "onion sandwich" situation only happened once. They adapted, but I don't think it is fair to expect people to be able to read minds and anticipate what people will do.
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Admiral

I sometimes refer to those as Armchair Admirals.
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToAdam12 View Post
have fun!!!!!!!

Thank you!
Old August 29th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:

And based on what I heard, the famous "onion sandwich" situation only happened once.
From what I remember reading and I believe it was from some a journalist the famous onion sandwich was never served , they served sandwiches with minimal abouts of meat and cheese and the passengers were opening them and taking the meat & cheese leaving them with an onion sandwich.
I did post the artical here on the boards somewhere as she talked about what she witnessed .

By the way 99 days until I cruise Carnival and not a worry in site!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 29th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Zydeco do you have any suggestions what to do in Cabo ?
Old August 29th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
From what I remember reading and I believe it was from some a journalist the famous onion sandwich was never served , they served sandwiches with minimal abouts of meat and cheese and the passengers were opening them and taking the meat & cheese leaving them with an onion sandwich.
I did post the artical here on the boards somewhere as she talked about what she witnessed .

I have notably said I wouldn't mind being on that ship for what they were compensated and knowing what I know from first hand accounts from people that were on board. I would totally take the 5 extra days.
CCL Destiny 5 Day Eastern 2009
CCL Fascination 5 Day Western 2008
RCI Majsity Of The Seas 4 Day Eastern 2007
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2005
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Huey View Post
Zydeco do you have any suggestions what to do in Cabo ?
Suggest you ask MrPete.
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post

Wasn't there a journalist from this board on that ship?

Someone did write a "book" on the experience. I got the kindle edition free when it first came out.
Amazon.com: Triumph over Calamity: What Really Happened on the Carnival Triumph A Memoir (9781482588217): C. A. Peaden: Books
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Admiral

One of my moderators from cruisereviews (sister website to this one) was aboard and we interviewed him for the article on Cruisemates. You can read it here.
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
Suggest you ask MrPete.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
I think the thing that I disagree with is what i would call "Monday Morning Quarterbacking."

It is very easy to say someone should have seen something coming in hindsight - but how many of us can say we have never been blindsided by an unexpected event?

I was in a car accident where somebody pulled out in front of us - it was actually following another car that had crossed the highway in front of us about 30 seconds earlier.

When the first car went I said "that was the stupidest maneuver I have ever seen a driver do in my entire life."

I was wrong, the stupidest was yet to come, the second car that pulled out directly in front of us which we hit while going 65 miles per hour.

I have seen and heard cruise reporters saying they "know" Carnival went slack on their ship maintenance. I asked them how they know and the answer was "look at how badly they handled the PR on the situation," and "Micky Arison tweeted from a basketball game during the Triumph crisis."

Yes, that was really bad handling of public relations, but how does that prove a completely separate division in Carnival slipped up and cheated on maintenance before the event. It doesn't. I personally disagree with people being negatively judgemental of the actions of others in one situation based on things they may have done in unaffiliated events. I call that prejudicial thinking.

John Heald said that his biggest fear was that the passengers on the ship would lose control. He did a great job of keeping them calm. Unfortunately, (as you said Mike) you cannot control what others decide to do, and the same was not true of the Triumph passengers. And after that Carnival took action by cutting off the alcohol, for example.

But there is no way anyone can predict everything a person will do. And based on what I heard, the famous "onion sandwich" situation only happened once. They adapted, but I don't think it is fair to expect people to be able to read minds and anticipate what people will do.
First to answer your origanal question, YES we are booked on the Freedom for Feb. 8 and can't wait.

As for the details from the Triumph incedent, most people only know what the mainstream media let them know. Which I learned quickly thru a friend who is a news director for a tv station in Dallas. Was coming from ABC affilates first in Houston then Moblie. And of course Disney news, Oppps ABC wouldn't have any hidden reasons for making the light on Carnival to be negitive.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:12 AM
Familiar Face

I also prefer Carnival to Royal Caribbean any would book a Carnival cruise in a heartbeat.
  • Scotia Prince, Nova Scotia, June 2004
  • Norwegian Pride of America, Hawaii, August 2005
  • Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas, Western Caribbean, July 2010
  • Norwegian Sky, Bahamas, December 2010
  • Norwegian Gem, Bahamas, March 2011
  • Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas, Bahamas, October 2012
  • Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas, Bahamas, September 2013
Old September 14th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Talking

Quote:
You bet I would - the line has suffered so much ridiculously negative press lately where bad things affects well under 1 in 10,000 cruiser (or something like that) that the prices are dirt-cheap for the same quality of cruise they have always offered.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Some people may say Carnival has gone down hill (and some of those people may be travel agents who are not happy the line cutting some commissions - those agents have the right to say what they want - but if an agent steers you away from a Carnival cruise you want because of his commission, he is not doing you any favors).

As I look at pricing I generally see Carnival as the least expensive - and three years ago that was not always true.

Now - keep in mind Carnival is unique cruise style (all cruise lines have a unique style) - it is more "fun and frolic" oriented. But the food is good, and there are not so many onboard options to spend extra money (like a dozen alternative restaurants or cupcake shops), so you may spend less on board (or drink more alcohol).

But, yes, I would definitely take advantage of the current downturn in Carnival prices to take a Carnival cruise.

Agree or disagree?
VERY well said, I agree 100%!!!! I love Carnival, always have, always will!!!!
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:11 AM
First Mate

Exclamation

I definitely prefer RCCL to Carnival, but that may be an age thing. That being said, I have taken 10 Carnival cruises in the past three years and am going on another one in October of 2013. So far we have had no problems. It is just so convenient driving to Galveston in less than an hour and getting on a ship.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:20 PM
Familiar Face

Totally agree Paul. Keep in mind other cruise lines have had their issues too. Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas (i believe that was the ship) also had problems recently as well as Celebrity's Millennium just last month.

Also if you remember, SilverSeas recently failed a health inspection. Keep in mind this is an all-suite luxury cruise ship.

Quote:
You bet I would - the line has suffered so much ridiculously negative press lately where bad things affects well under 1 in 10,000 cruiser (or something like that) that the prices are dirt-cheap for the same quality of cruise they have always offered.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Some people may say Carnival has gone down hill (and some of those people may be travel agents who are not happy the line cutting some commissions - those agents have the right to say what they want - but if an agent steers you away from a Carnival cruise you want because of his commission, he is not doing you any favors).

As I look at pricing I generally see Carnival as the least expensive - and three years ago that was not always true.

Now - keep in mind Carnival is unique cruise style (all cruise lines have a unique style) - it is more "fun and frolic" oriented. But the food is good, and there are not so many onboard options to spend extra money (like a dozen alternative restaurants or cupcake shops), so you may spend less on board (or drink more alcohol).

But, yes, I would definitely take advantage of the current downturn in Carnival prices to take a Carnival cruise.

Agree or disagree?
(888) 543.1193 Toll Free
adrian@nexcruise.com

www.nexcruise.com/cruisemates

"Let us book your next cruise!"
Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just booked the Breeze for 9/27/14. Can't get the countdown clock to work though.

Read and post cruise reviews

Need some cruise help?
LIBERTY - 5/2013
SPIRIT - 9/2012 (PLATINUM)
INSPIRATION - 9/2012 (B2B)
PARADISE - 4/2010
VALOR -3/2010
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - 10/2009
SPLENDOR - 4/2009
VICTORY - 4/2008