CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Would I cruise on Carnival, now? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/398233-would-i-cruise-carnival-now.html)

Paul Motter August 2nd, 2013 02:21 PM

Would I cruise on Carnival, now?

You bet I would - the line has suffered so much ridiculously negative press lately where bad things affects well under 1 in 10,000 cruiser (or something like that) that the prices are dirt-cheap for the same quality of cruise they have always offered.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Some people may say Carnival has gone down hill (and some of those people may be travel agents who are not happy the line cutting some commissions - those agents have the right to say what they want - but if an agent steers you away from a Carnival cruise you want because of his commission, he is not doing you any favors).

As I look at pricing I generally see Carnival as the least expensive - and three years ago that was not always true.

Now - keep in mind Carnival is unique cruise style (all cruise lines have a unique style) - it is more "fun and frolic" oriented. But the food is good, and there are not so many onboard options to spend extra money (like a dozen alternative restaurants or cupcake shops), so you may spend less on board (or drink more alcohol).

But, yes, I would definitely take advantage of the current downturn in Carnival prices to take a Carnival cruise.

Agree or disagree?

Aerogirl August 2nd, 2013 02:52 PM

I totally agree. We have cruised Carnival three times with our fourth coming up in December and for the most part have had only positive experiences. After our upcoming cruise we're going to switch lines just so we can judge for ourselves if other are that much better.

I do agree with the statement about TA's not wanting to book people on Carnival over their commission .

I think Carnival gives you a great bang for you buck and am not too sure if every higher price line are really worth the cost when it comes down to it.

Truck Cruiser August 2nd, 2013 02:54 PM

I have been on 4 Carnival cruises, before all these ship breakdowns and they are a okay cruise line. Personally, Until I am assured they have corrected their maintenance problems I will stay away from them.

The fact is, there are other cruise lines that are just as good or better, why should I take a chance? Give it a couple of years of no big problems then I might consider them again.

Rirruto August 2nd, 2013 02:57 PM

Been cruising since 1999 and my last cruise on Carnival Liberty this past March might have been my best one yet.

My upcoming cruise, also on the Liberty, is the cheapest 7 day cruise I've ever had. All the bad press has not changed my opinion with the company at all.

dozer183e August 2nd, 2013 04:16 PM

I just started researching cruises for next summer. I see identical itineraries for identical dates for Carnival and Royal Caribbean. The Carnival prices are slightly higher.

Where is this Carnival "Discount" you all are talking about?

Manuel August 2nd, 2013 05:39 PM

To all Carnival fan, go out there and enjoy your cruisers.

I have cruised twice on Carnival myself.

Those cruise were not bad but I did not like them well enough to cruise on Carnival again.

I might pay more to sail on RCL or Celebrity but I am going to do what I enjoy.

TM

Sulross August 2nd, 2013 06:06 PM

Will Sail

Getting ready to do my 10th cruise (First Platinum) on Carnival in October. Other than a little more noise on Carnival than other ships I have had no problems. Have done Triumph 3 times with no problems. They are just so convienient out of Galveston. Have 45+ with RCCL. I am not that much into destination when doing the Caribbean, just love to cruise and that atmosphere. Cruising is just what you make it. There are *****ers and gripers on every cruise and there are some who just go with the flow and try to enjoy. Now if the ship breaks down that is different, but in general all is usually good.:x

Mike M August 2nd, 2013 06:37 PM

Would I cruise on Carnival now?

The best way to say it is.................... Heck yes!! In a heartbeat.

I've enjoyed all of my Carnival cruises and, other than some pretty tacky decor, I have had a good time on each one. We've cruised Carnival three times in the last year. Have they cut back? In some ways, yes. In other ways no. They have more variety of dining options and I do like the 2.0 dining and entertainment upgrades.

I personally think the Carnival Breeze is a beautiful ship and though the passenger space ratio is lower I never felt crowded like I did on Norwegian Epic.

All cruise lines have made cutbacks in food and personalized service. There are more pre-made products used in the dining and buffet areas, the wait staff have more tables and the cabin stewards have more cabins. It's an industry trend.

Overall: Carnival is still the best bang for the cruising buck and I enjoy them more than most other lines. Heck, my last Celebrity cruise, in Asia, aboard the Millennium had far worse food and service than I've ever had on Carnival.

Take care and if you want to cruise Carnival, then go right ahead.
Mike

briguy August 2nd, 2013 07:36 PM

Just don't go on any 3 day cruise in the summer. May be the biggest rip off in the cruise industry price wise.

thecruisequeen August 2nd, 2013 11:09 PM

Would I sail on Carnival again?? Nope...it's not happening....

I found the Breeze to be the most boring ship....Not much to do but eat and drink.....

Music and Dance as well as evening entertainment has to be excellent....

Not just looking for the cheapest rate or the best bang for the buck when booking.

It's sad if during dinner we are discussing what should we do this evening....Hasbro game show or people watch...:shock:

Happy cruising no matter which cruiseline is a perfect fit for you....enjoy! 8-)

zydecocruiser August 3rd, 2013 11:56 AM

You betcha. 38 cruises on Carnival so far, and NEVER a bad one.

I agree that a lot of the criticism is from people with private agendas and to some extent they have succeeded - but only temporarily.

I definitely do not want or need the gimmicks of Royal to get me on a ship. Or the extra cost restaurants of NCL to get edible food. That isn't why I cruise.

julieandkavin August 3rd, 2013 05:35 PM

I will be on the Carnival Magic in 22 day's can't wait

JoeMo August 3rd, 2013 07:22 PM

Now is probably the first time in 20 years we have not been booked for a cruise. We have in the past booked 4-14 months ahead, and sometimes had multiple cruises booked or planned. Would I return to Carnival ? YES. Would I return to or try another cruise line ? YES. My problem is the industry attitude toward travel agents. I was introduced to cruising by a travel agent.
As the years went by, my travel agent's son took over my travel, and we have enjoyed many cruises and other travel since then. But lately, we only talk about fly-to vacations, and all-inclusive destinations. I suppose the reduced commission on cruises has a lot to do with it, why would he try to sell something If he makes very little. Those resorts in Mexico must pay him well. Lots of people have good reports about the Carnival PVP's, and I wish them the best. I like the opportunity to sit across the desk from MY pvp and discuss the details face to face. I'm just old fashioned I guess. Not sure where we are going next, may be cruising, may be flying to an all-inclusive, not sure yet. But it IS a little unsettling not having ANYTHING booked.
O.K. , sorry, My rambling is over.

Cruizer August 4th, 2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1481075)
You bet I would - the line has suffered so much ridiculously negative press lately where bad things affects well under 1 in 10,000 cruiser (or something like that) that the prices are dirt-cheap for the same quality of cruise they have always offered.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Some people may say Carnival has gone down hill (and some of those people may be travel agents who are not happy the line cutting some commissions - those agents have the right to say what they want - but if an agent steers you away from a Carnival cruise you want because of his commission, he is not doing you any favors).

As I look at pricing I generally see Carnival as the least expensive - and three years ago that was not always true.

Now - keep in mind Carnival is unique cruise style (all cruise lines have a unique style) - it is more "fun and frolic" oriented. But the food is good, and there are not so many onboard options to spend extra money (like a dozen alternative restaurants or cupcake shops), so you may spend less on board (or drink more alcohol).

But, yes, I would definitely take advantage of the current downturn in Carnival prices to take a Carnival cruise.

Agree or disagree?

Would I cruise on Carnival again? Yes. In fact I have a cruise booked. It used to be that Carnival and Royal Caribbean were my favorites. However, I prefer to take longer cruises (longer than eight nights) now and Carnival does not have that many, while Royal Caribbean has several. So, while my next cruise is on Carnival (it will be my tenth cruise on Carnival), my next four (at least) will be on Royal Caribbean (at least two of which are ten nights or longer).

Price is a factor in my cruising decision, but not the only factor. A $50 savings is not going to make me choose one over the other unless everything else is the same - and that is rarely the case (the one time it was, Royal Caribbean was far less expensive, though the room was a lot smaller). I can easily think of two more cruises I would like to take on Carnival. So eventually I'll have at least twelve cruises on Carnival (I currently have eight on Royal Caribbean, meaning that after my next four I'll have twelve).

Another line that has interested me is Princess. I have two cruises on Princess (and two on NCL). Princess also does some longer cruises, but tends to be a bit more expensive. Still there are other factors (itinerary, ship, departure port, length of cruise, cost of getting to the port ...) that I consider besides price.

I even factor in the number of vacation days I'll use up. For example, on a typical ten night cruise I'll use up eight vacation days. On a typical eleven night cruise I'll use up ten vacation days. So the extra night will cost me two extra vacation days. On the other hand, the fourteen night cruise I am looking at will only cost me eleven vacation days. My thirteen night cruise only cost me ten vacation days (meaning it was the same as a typical eleven night cruise). I took an eight night cruise that cost me only three vacation days and I took an eight night cruise that cost me seven vacation days (both of which were on Carnival Spirit class ships).

So, as far as I am concerned, there is a lot more to selecting a cruise vacation than price. Carnival used to be my favorite because when I first started cruising a one week cruise was fine and everything else was new, so price was more important. However, now I've been on more than twenty cruises and not everything is new, so price is no longer the biggest determining factor.

Another factor is cost per day. Once flying and a hotel is factored in, the length of the cruise becomes important, since the airfare and hotel cost do not vary based on the length of the cruise. If I can get a seven night Carnival cruise for $2300 including air and hotel, or a twelve night Royal Caribbean cruise for $3,600 (including air and hotel), then the Carnival cruise is costing me $328.57/night while the Royal Caribbean cruise is only costing me $300 per night, even thought the cost of the cruise per day is more expensive on Royal Caribbean ($228.57/night on Carnival vs. $241.67/ night on Royal Caribbean).

big apple August 4th, 2013 12:49 PM

If you had tried the Olympic alternative restaurant you would have had an outstanding meal and just this week they received the award as the best alternative of all main line cruises Am elite and the same equivalent on Carnival and enjoy the food on both lines. Beats staying at home and we are now up to over 60 cruises thru the years and can find something nice about all of them and we did the 49 day Splendor around SA and was very impressed with all aspects of this extended cruise.

Mike M August 4th, 2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big apple (Post 1481291)
If you had tried the Olympic alternative restaurant you would have had an outstanding meal and just this week they received the award as the best alternative of all main line cruises Am elite and the same equivalent on Carnival and enjoy the food on both lines. Beats staying at home and we are now up to over 60 cruises thru the years and can find something nice about all of them and we did the 49 day Splendor around SA and was very impressed with all aspects of this extended cruise.

One of my best cruise memories was dining in the Olympic, shortly after Millennium came into the Celebrity fleet. It was one of the best meals I have had on land or sea. The service, food quality and ambiance were second to none.

Sadly, we sailed on Millennium last December and the Olympic experience was a great letdown, except for the mushroom risotto. Gone was the butterfly service, the table side lobster preparation was just bad. My wife had to send it back and order another entree. (The maitre 'd went overboard on the salt.) The service was "ok" for the venue but I have had equal or much better on other lines, The Sommelier wasn't too knowledgeable and tried to push expensive wines that really didn't pair with what we were eating. Nothing memorable other than the disappointment.

My last experience at the Steak House on Carnival Glory was much more gratifying.

Take care,
Mike

NOS4A2 August 5th, 2013 06:27 AM

Nope.

They've taken SO much away, they now have to offer bargain basement fares to get a bargain basement experience.

They've made it so easy to get out and try the other lines. And those coming back scratch their collective heads wondering why they put up with NO FRILLS for so long.

When CCL can getback the old experienceand reinventitself, like NCL did, I may be back. But while a low fare only gets me a 5 and dime experience, I'll pass.

Paul Motter August 5th, 2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOS4A2 (Post 1481348)
Nope.

They've taken SO much away, they now have to offer bargain basement fares to get a bargain basement experience.

They've made it so easy to get out and try the other lines. And those coming back scratch their collective heads wondering why they put up with NO FRILLS for so long.

When CCL can getback the old experienceand reinventitself, like NCL did, I may be back. But while a low fare only gets me a 5 and dime experience, I'll pass.

Please do me a favor and explain what they have "taken away" because I am not aware of this. I guess I just don't understand the statement.

For example, NCL has reinvented itself, but a lot of people complain about all the added charges for food, the separate area for suite guests, long waits for shows, etc.

To me it seems Carnival has changed the least over the years - but I am willing to admit I may not be aware of everything they have done recently - so I would really appreciate you clarifying your statement about "taking things away" and a "5 & dime Experience"

Is the latter in reference to the new entertainment by any chance - because that does seem to be one of the biggest changes they have made; smaller shows, "game shows" in the main showroom, etc.

Paul Motter August 5th, 2013 02:26 PM

Cruise Queen ...

You mention the entertainment, as I just said above, I will be honest and say I have not seen the new Hasbro shows or Playlist production shows. But I have to say I would personally never sit through a Hasbro game show. That seems to be such a sell-out to kid mentality, which is not "cruising."

Disney's entertainment is fantastic, but they manage to appeal to kids and adults alike without offending anyone. That is why they are the kings.

Is the new FunShip 2.0 Entertainment that bad? I have actually been curious about this for awhile now.

Paul Motter August 5th, 2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozer183e (Post 1481100)
I just started researching cruises for next summer. I see identical itineraries for identical dates for Carnival and Royal Caribbean. The Carnival prices are slightly higher.

Where is this Carnival "Discount" you all are talking about?

There are always exceptions to the "rule" but if you do a "sort by price" search to the Caribbean I am pretty sure you will see Carnival populating the majority of the top of the list.

Aerogirl August 5th, 2013 05:35 PM

It's been a 1 1/2 years since my last Carnival cruise but I don't remember the entertainment being bad, there was a DJ but also live music.
The only change we noticed was in the MDR with service being not as good as in the past, the food for the most part was good certain things stood out other things just so so.

I guess it's what your looking for in a cruise,we don't cruise for enertainment or activitys , we just cruise to chill and live in the moment, hang on the balcony, roam the ship and enjoy the ports.

For what we do it meets our needs but it will be interesting cruising another line in the near future to see what we're missing or not missing.
I have cruised RC one time back in 2000 and couldn't wait to go back to Carnival as Carnival was hands down better back then for us.

big apple August 5th, 2013 05:42 PM

Sad to hear that Olympic has gone down hill and my experience was several yrs.ago however this award was just recently received and I would guess that some corrections have been made.

Cruznut2 August 8th, 2013 11:58 AM

Absolutely! I have been cruising Carnival since 1983. I try other lines and always come back to Carnival. I have never had a bad cruise from this line. As far as the unfortunate breakdowns on the Carnival ships I say "Ship Happens" It was unfortunate that the ships involved were so far out to sea. Of course the media jumped on that and made it worse than it was.
When I am looking for a cruise for me Carnival is my first choice.

Laura

Paul Motter August 8th, 2013 12:15 PM

Well Laura I KNEW you would remain true to Carnival, you have always said they are the best line for in terms of absence of nickel & diming, etc.

Cruizer August 9th, 2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruznut2 (Post 1481638)
Absolutely! I have been cruising Carnival since 1983. I try other lines and always come back to Carnival. I have never had a bad cruise from this line. As far as the unfortunate breakdowns on the Carnival ships I say "Ship Happens" It was unfortunate that the ships involved were so far out to sea. Of course the media jumped on that and made it worse than it was.

Laura

With the exception of the Carnival Triumph I would agree with you. However, in the case of the Carnival Triumph, based on statements from the passengers and the pictures posted by the passengers, it was as bad as it could get without the ship sinking.

Paul Motter August 9th, 2013 11:08 AM

I watched all of the Triumph coverage from start to finish on CNN plus interviewed a passenger that was on the ship during the incident, and I really don't believe it was anywhere near as bad as the media played it up to be.

They made it sound as if everyone was stuck sleeping in sewage, and that wasn't true. They took a few isolated incidents of bad things that happened on that trip and extrapolated it out to make it seem as if that was what everyone on the ship was experiencing, and it just did not happen that way. I thought it was "yellow journalism" at its worst.

Cruizer August 10th, 2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1481743)
I watched all of the Triumph coverage from start to finish on CNN plus interviewed a passenger that was on the ship during the incident, and I really don't believe it was anywhere near as bad as the media played it up to be.

It may not have been as bad as the media portrayed it, but I would have taken the Splendor incident twice over the Triumph incident once.

Aerogirl August 10th, 2013 10:22 AM

As much as I love Carnival and my past three cruises with them I'm pretty sure the Triumph situation was pretty bad for the passengers, I think the truth falls somewhere in the middle of what the worst and the not so bad that was reported and unless you we're on the cruise you can't really say. Remember people where in a vacation frame of mind and to go from one extreme to what they had to deal with , it was not good.

That being said I have no qualms cruising with Carnival and will be doing so again this December. Carnival lacks some of the bells and whistles that other lines have but it's all about what you the cruiser is looking for. I cruise to be on the open sea and can care less about dancing and the "party" , give me the open sky & water and I'm happy.

zydecocruiser August 10th, 2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruizer (Post 1481839)
It may not have been as bad as the media portrayed it, but I would have taken the Splendor incident twice over the Triumph incident once.

We would have loved to be on either. Hard to be a free cruise combined with a future free cruise. Bonus if there is some camping through in.

Paul Motter August 10th, 2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruizer (Post 1481839)

Naturally - but what was the difference? Not that much. I guess Splendor had more working toilets (although I am not sure how that could be true). I do know that on Splendor everyone got along and the line kept everyone as happy as possible with free drinks, etc.

On Triumph the cruise line got blamed for everything when in fact there were a lot of passengers who misbehaved, breaking into rooms to steal alcohol, etc. They had to cut off access to alcohol because some people were getting drunk and very disorderly, essentially acting as if since it was open season to do misbehave.

Here is the thing - you can't blame a person or a cruise line for problems they couldn't see coming. They didn't know people in the front of the food line would take almost all the food put out and leave nothing but onions on the sandwiches that had been prepared for hundreds of people. People were also seen taking trays full of pastries, etc. The cruise line didn't know people would get drunk and disorderly until it happened, and then they implemented the security, but it was too late.

A good analogy? When a perfectly normal person who has worked at a bank for years suddenly decides to rob it - you never expected it. Those were the kinds of thing Triumph staff encountered.

I will say this - every ship needs to have at least one bathroom with true gravity toilets that flow down to the lowest deck - that don't need electricity to work. The only reason toilets overflowed was because people used them in the expectation they would start working again, but when they didn't suddenly its "we're living in raw sewage". They "should have known" the toilets were dead for the duration and started with the bags right away - but that is apparently not what they thought.