Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Familiar Face

Default Carnival Victory from Miami, Party or not?!

Hi ALl new to cruising never been before and would like to try a few days at sea.

Will be leaving from Miami, booking from the UK. only want 3-5 days and have seen Victory goes to Bahamas and Grand Turk and back. This sounds ideal, but the more i look into things the more i get concerned.

We are in our late 20's but dont really want a Party boat, just a cruise and a few lazy evenings maybe a drink at a bar, i read alot that there is a party atomosphere on this boat. I look on Royal carribean and also the NCL but it says they too due to short duration will be with a younger crowd.

Can anyone comment on this cruise? Im concerned about waiting 30-40 minutes to eat? I know with nearly 3k people it will be busy! We are looking at mid May next year.

Any advice will be great, sorry if this is not the right place to ask?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

I find the crowd of the cruise is more dependent on the time of year, not necessarily the actual ship. If you travel during the holidays or the summer time, you will see a lot more families and kids running around. If you travel more around spring break time (March-April), you will see more college aged cruisers. If you travel in off peak times, it might be a bit more quiet crowd. These are obviously generalizations. You will see a cruise's demographics is as diverse as it can get. I've sailed throughout the year, and I've honestly never been overwhelmed with too much craziness/loudness even when going during peak times. But if you are looking for the most low-key experience, I would suggest traveling during off peak times away from holidays/typical vacation time. I've cruised right after the Thanksgiving holiday a couple of times and always found it pretty low-key. People tend to take the week of Thanksgiving off or wait until closer to Christmas to take time off instead of the week right after Thanksgiving I find. We'll be doing the same this November. Remember, there's always the Serenity deck to get away from most of the action.

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Actually, mid May could be a good time to go, less kids, most still in school. I would however, suggest just looking into a 7 day cruise. You could get another port or two and less of a party atmosphere onboard with a longer cruise?? Just keep some options open and look at a lot of ships....Especially, if you need to fly into the port city, just makes it more affordable..

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 8th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Rirruto,

THats interesting you say about the time of year, our dates are quite fixed due to being in Orlando then down to Miami and cruising from there. I just scared myself by typing carnical victory into Youtube and saw a young crowd with parties and a drunk girl fight!!! Im really hoping that was a spring break time. I do understand you will always get "one or two" that enjoy themselves a bit too much.

I hope that may will be quite a good time to go thanks Donna, We have looked at 7 days but i find it a bit more pricey and as is our first cruise wanted to try shorter, but i guess then have to think maybe it will be more a lively atmosphere.

For where i wanted to go the Victory did fit in quite well, altho into Grand turk i see you only get till 2pm. I will check others and compare a bit more
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Good idea NC, you have time til, so check around and figure out what islands you really want to visit...I know they are pricey, but the Oasis/Allure of the Seas are wonderful cruises, you don't believe you've been onboard for 7 days, they go by so fast and so much to do and see, along with some islands...

Take some time and look around for a bit and then decide...

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:37 AM
First Mate

Have a look at Enchantment of the seas from Port Canaveral, she goes to Nassau and CocoCay on a 4 day. Also my favorite ship, Majesty of the Seas from Miami, she goes to Key West, Nassau and CocoCay on her 4 day itinerary. Both Royal Caribbean ships. Prices are comparable to Carnival but the ships are lots nicer.

Last edited by Matelot; August 10th, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks Donna.

I've now found a NCL cruise on NCL sky. It doesn't go to Grand turk but that is only a few hours stop anyhow. I realise the Carnival is longer cheaper and more popular. I know this won't go down well but the past few stories of Carnival troubles and safety puts me off a bit.

I've now got to research NCL. Hard work this cruising i also see the NCL are aiming for a younger market is that right? Would you know if the NCL sky has a big screen?!

Off to hunt some more.
Old August 10th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Matelot,

Im afraid it needs to be from Miami, due to arrangments.

I must admit these re now the three i am looking Royal majesty of seas, NCL Sky and Carnival Victory! ALl have pros and cons, everyone seems to hate one but love another etc etc! Im just gonna plump and go for one. RC is quite a bit more pricey the dates i am going, i would like the Wow factor though, altho the rooms (cheaper ones!) sound absoutly Tiny!!!
Old August 10th, 2013, 08:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcruising View Post
Hi Matelot,

Im afraid it needs to be from Miami, due to arrangments.

I must admit these re now the three i am looking Royal majesty of seas, NCL Sky and Carnival Victory! ALl have pros and cons, everyone seems to hate one but love another etc etc! Im just gonna plump and go for one. RC is quite a bit more pricey the dates i am going, i would like the Wow factor though, altho the rooms (cheaper ones!) sound absoutly Tiny!!!
Bear in mind that on NCL you have to pay extra for most of the restaurants.
Only the dining room and the buffet are included- the other 5 places to eat require a fee, even for pizza.... that adds up.
Old August 11th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Familiar Face

That i did not know! I admit i am new to cruising but i find things like that so hard to find out. I book a hotel and i see self catering full board all in etc etc. Not on a cruise! I have just assumed they all come with food and high priced drinks!!

Next step is price all 3 make a chart of where they go how much good and bad points! Its also strange NCL tell me they don't sail from Miami in may if i check from the UK site but they do when i check us site.
Old August 11th, 2013, 09:53 AM
First Mate

I just compared May 12th prices- NCL Sky are Inside 339 -Outside 389,
Balcony 619, Suite 849.
Royal Caribbean Majesty are Inside 329 - Outside 369, Suite 829.
Then of course you add taxes and port fees, but Royal Caribbean is not the most expensive. Only Johnny Rockets diner has a $5 fee but it's a fun experience, worth it. Johnny Rockets on Majesty of the Seas - YouTube

Old August 11th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Admiral

I'm sure you will have a great time on any of them. If it were me it would be between Carnival or NCL , we weren't big fans of Majesty of the Seas but that was back in 2000, maybe it got better.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 11th, 2013, 11:20 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I'm sure you will have a great time on any of them. If it were me it would be between Carnival or NCL , we weren't big fans of Majesty of the Seas but that was back in 2000, maybe it got better.

Yes, she has had $50million of updates since then....
Old August 11th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Just be ready to have a very small cabin...The newer ships have much more square footage....

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Familiar Face

Donna: I am prepared! Infact so prepared i read something wrong on the website, think it was the size the two twin beds made when pushed together ie about 6ft long. I then said to myself, wow that IS a small room!!! My theory, i dont want to be in my cabin except from 6 or 7 hours to sleep! Although due to use being on a holiday we are going to have two large suitcases, might have to sleep on them!!

Thanks Aerogirl i hope you are right, should enjoy whatever.

Thanks Matelot i have seen prices etc now and am very nearly booking the Majesty. However i have a few questions (ill post in the correct board later!)

Ive realised, each person will say somethign bad about one ship and vice versa, so I think i need to stop worrying and just book something, im a strong believer a holiday/trip is what you make it, ive stayed some .. not great places before and still had a great time.
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Admiral

NC,
I agree, I think you will have a wonderful time, it is what you make of it...That is the way to look at it...

Message Boards Moderator