CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   My 1st Carnival Cruise and PARK WEST ART (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/398500-my-1st-carnival-cruise-park-west-art.html)

justinwheelon August 20th, 2013 03:48 PM

My 1st Carnival Cruise and PARK WEST ART

LOVED IT!! We went on the DREAM from Port Canaveral from 9/3-9/10

I absolutely loved my first Carnival Cruise after only cruising Royal Caribbean. My wife and I's favorite part was the Park West Art Auctions.

I see from google and a search here people were not too fond of them a few years ago and before but I haven't seen much on them since 2012-present (speaking negatively of them that is)

They must have fixed what ever people weren't happy with because we loved the auctions. Bought a few pieces and came home and vigorously researched them and found we got amazing deals on the pieces.

Looking forward to our next Carnival Cruise!

Aerogirl August 20th, 2013 03:53 PM

Glad to hear you cruise with carnival was positive . One of our gals bought something from PWA and to this day is very pleased.

aerospace August 20th, 2013 07:15 PM

As long as you like the art and bought to keep your in good shape.

I frequent several auctions per cruise and especially like when they have high end stuff for display like Picasso and things you usually wouldn't see outside of a museum setting. That being said they make up retail prices to be able to say its 75% off that made up number. It's like buying a car if you paid close to retail your a sucker but if you love the car then who cares.

I've seen a lot of people get excited and bid and immediately say crap what did I just buy. Like the free art you can win that you have to pay shipping for and buy the $250 frame.

green_rd August 21st, 2013 03:39 PM

Right, if you are happy, stay happy. I wouldn't advise making investment decisions on a cruise. You just don't have time to make an informed choice.

cruise planner August 21st, 2013 09:46 PM

Because this is their first post and only post, and all they're doing is stating how great Park West is, I am VERY suspect about this posting!

Quite frankly, Park West has gotten and continues to get very negative comments from many many people. There have been alot of stories done about them, including one on 60 Minutes! I seriously doubt they changed their stripes overnight.

If you had a good experience, that's great, but you are definitely among the very small minority as it has been proven that the overwhelming stuff they sell is not worth what you pay for it let alone what they say it's worth.

Pete

Aerogirl August 21st, 2013 10:10 PM

Is it Park West that sells on royal? That's the cruise she bought her Dali from, not Carnival my mistake but never the less she loves it.

Aerogirl August 21st, 2013 10:55 PM

Found this on CJ site...interesting!
Carnival?s Princess Told to End Ban on Cruiser Over $585 Dispute - Businessweek

Carnival Corp not cool!

green_rd August 22nd, 2013 11:21 AM

Curious, but Princess does not use Park West. They have their own in-house art auction, and thump their chests about it. Rather sloppy of them to show a Carnival ship in an article about Princess.

Aerogirl August 22nd, 2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1482921)
Curious, but Princess does not use Park West. They have their own in-house art auction, and thump their chests about it. Rather sloppy of them to show a Carnival ship in an article about Princess.

The artical didn't say it was Park West, I posted due to the art buying on ships in general.

Dave Beers August 22nd, 2013 05:21 PM

Royal Caribbean ended their Park West contract 3 years ago. They replaced it with their own program which has transitioned to being some sort of partnership with "Art Actually".