Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:39 PM
First Mate

Default Airport Transfers London to UK ports

OK all you seasoned cruisers. We are thinking of a cruise to Northern Europe (yes, I know that Carnival isn't going there next year but I am not getting any younger either) so it will probably have to be that something of the Seas thing. Looks like Harwich is the embarkation port. What is the best airport to fly into Heathrow or Gatwick? What is the best way to get to Harwich (the port)? Are there airport transfers available? We normally like to cross the pond and arrive a day earlier then we need to (for a Wed cruise embarkation we would like to arrive on Tues departing the States on Mon). Any ideas on hotels?

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have never flown into Harwick - only Heathrow. Transportation in the UK is not cheap but if you have maybe four people you can hire a car from London to any port for a little over L100 (100 pounds sterling). That would be a private car service (look them up on the internet and book one in advance).

There are also trains & busses. With the busses be VERY sure you get an express, not a local. I made that mistake once and it took me several hours to reach Southampton - it was just a good thing I had decided to arrive a day early.

If you want to save on a hotel you can always get the redeye to the UK and take an early train or bus to the ship.

Old September 25th, 2013, 09:25 PM
First Mate

Gatwick is way out of your way....
I would fly into Heathrow and then just go into central London for your pre cruise night. From Heathrow you can catch the Heathrow express train to Paddington or the tube (subway) to your hotel location.
http://www.heathrowairport.com/trans...ng-into-London

We stay at the Strand Palace, right in the heart of London, a stone's throw from Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, you can stroll to Westminster etc..

In the morning get a taxi to Liverpool St station,(about 5 miles from that hotel) for a train to Harwich - a journey of about an hour and half. They leave hourly. Depending on time of travel you may have to change trains at Manningtree. Harwich International station is at the cruise port.
National Rail Enquiries - Journey Planner - Trains Times and Fares
Old September 27th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Captain

Gatwick is a bit further away but also has direct links into London where you would need to get across to the correct station for the train to Harwich.

Neither are ideal, and both are going to be pretty much the same as far as timings go if you take the trains, so most likely comes down to a matter of cost & arrival times.

Heathrow does have an option of a coach service, either via London Victoria or possbily direct, but that is also a long journey, not nice after a long flight.

Is there any reason why you want to travel from Harwich? Dover has several lines running there now, and is a bit easier, or Southampton is by far the easiest - although you then have to spend a day sailing to/from the Northern Europe coastline.

Alan.

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:31 AM
First Mate

No special reason for Harwich. It was the port where a cruise we were looking at departed from. We are still in the very early stages of planning. Thanks for the info.

Need some cruise help?
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
No special reason for Harwich. It was the port where a cruise we were looking at departed from. We are still in the very early stages of planning. Thanks for the info.
A pleasure, if you require more details of the transport to any of the ports, then feel free to ask.

Have a great weekend,

Alan.

History :
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I love having you local Brits here. Thank you so much for contributing and helping our readers.

Old September 28th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Captain

Default fao Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I love having you local Brits here. Thank you so much for contributing and helping our readers.
Hi Paul, always a pleasure :o)

Do you have any plans to return to the UK in the near future? It was good to meet up with you when you stayed out at the 'rather remote' Holiday Inn.

Take care
Alan & Katrina

History :