Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old November 17th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 189
Default Sunshine (Referbisment problem)

Hi, I just got back yesterday off the Carnival Freedom and I was talking to some Diamond Members that told me they had just been on the Carnival Sunshine transatlantic cruise. They said the Serienity area looks great but the problem is The new pool leaks into hallways and some staterooms. They
also told me that Carnival for some reason is not informing passangers of this. I have not heard this information before. They also told me they are having a real problem fixing this because the leak is not easy to fix because
the leak is some pipes just under the pools flooring the only way to get to the leak is to put a big hole in the bottom of the pool and WOW all I can say is this is a real mess. The other news about the Carnival Sunshine is all the new 2.0 Resturants etc is Great. Ed
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:38 AM
ToAdam12's Avatar
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 79
Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruised1014 View Post
Hi, I just got back yesterday off the Carnival Freedom and I was talking to some Diamond Members that told me they had just been on the Carnival Sunshine transatlantic cruise. They said the Serienity area looks great but the problem is The new pool leaks into hallways and some staterooms. They
also told me that Carnival for some reason is not informing passangers of this. I have not heard this information before. They also told me they are having a real problem fixing this because the leak is not easy to fix because
the leak is some pipes just under the pools flooring the only way to get to the leak is to put a big hole in the bottom of the pool and WOW all I can say is this is a real mess. The other news about the Carnival Sunshine is all the new 2.0 Resturants etc is Great. Ed
First off. Yes the sunshine has a leaking problem. You will see blue buckets on some floors to catch the leaking h2o. I have not been on the sunshine but everything I have read about seems to be all good expect for the leaking problem. I've heard different things about the food and the service. I say enjoy and take everything with a grain of salt and have fun
__________________
CCL Conquest 7 Day Western 2013 (December)
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2013
CCL Glory 7 Day Western 2010
CCL Destiny 5 Day Eastern 2009
CCL Fascination 5 Day Western 2008
RCI Majsity Of The Seas 4 Day Eastern 2007
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2005
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 4,143
Default

Hopefully they get that leaking problem taken care of. It's fine to have the problem but is unacceptable to continue having that problem. Buckets around the ship to catch the water doesn't instill confidence in cruising on her.
__________________
~Robin~



Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post


. Buckets around the ship to catch the water doesn't instill confidence in cruising on her.

I would avoid a ship with such problems. Besides, if they let that go, there might be other issues that they are not addressing.


TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13


Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Cloud, Florida
Posts: 1,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Hopefully they get that leaking problem taken care of. It's fine to have the problem but is unacceptable to continue having that problem. Buckets around the ship to catch the water doesn't instill confidence in cruising on her.
But it's cheaper
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 09:14 AM
ToAdam12's Avatar
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 79
Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Hopefully they get that leaking problem taken care of. It's fine to have the problem but is unacceptable to continue having that problem. Buckets around the ship to catch the water doesn't instill confidence in cruising on her.
We are not talking about thousands of buckets. There is a few at best. As for the leak that is just one of those things they will need to address in dry dock. If you feel so unsafe then by all means chose another ship. But a small issue like that would not deter me from going. But thats just me.
__________________
CCL Conquest 7 Day Western 2013 (December)
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2013
CCL Glory 7 Day Western 2010
CCL Destiny 5 Day Eastern 2009
CCL Fascination 5 Day Western 2008
RCI Majsity Of The Seas 4 Day Eastern 2007
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2005
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 4,143
Default

Didn't she just come out of dry dock a new ship? I can understand the kinks but it is totally unacceptable for them not to fix it. I love Carnival and have never had a bad cruise with them but water leaks from wherever indicate an problem as minor as it may be. I can't even imagine being out in the middle of the ocean and walking down a hall and seeing one bucket catching dripping water.

Unlike others who love to knock Carnival that's not where I'm coming from. I will no doubt continue to sail the line in the future ,however I am giving other lines a try as we have only cruised Carnival with the exception of our one time Royal cruise.
__________________
~Robin~



Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,431
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

This thread is pretty funny. A question about a leak responded to, and confirmed as a real issue by a poster saying they'd never been on the ship.

Then other posters saying what a terrible problem it is. Then another poster saying it will all be repaired in dry dock; while there is no dry dock scheduled for the ship as she was just inaugurated this week inNew Orleans.

This is a pretty good drawing of how rumours get started, and can do damage.


I know there were press on the transatlantic, and lots of press on in New Orleans. If there were a major issue, I think it likely would have been reported.
__________________
Kuki
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:17 PM
ToAdam12's Avatar
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 79
Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
This thread is pretty funny. A question about a leak responded to, and confirmed as a real issue by a poster saying they'd never been on the ship.

Then other posters saying what a terrible problem it is. Then another poster saying it will all be repaired in dry dock; while there is no dry dock scheduled for the ship as she was just inaugurated this week inNew Orleans.

This is a pretty good drawing of how rumours get started, and can do damage.


I know there were press on the transatlantic, and lots of press on in New Orleans. If there were a major issue, I think it likely would have been reported.
I am the one who is saying both of those things. I said that to fix the leak it is a dry dock issue. Not that it was going to dry dock. Secondly all I have done if follow the transformation of the Destiny to the Sunshine. I read about it everyday and I can get pictures of the few buckets. If you would like also. I am not making up rumors. There is a leaking issue it has been reported multiple times. It not a huge issue just a small one. I know your one of the writers for this site my question to you is why aren't you reporting about the princess ship that was on fire a few weeks ago or on going issue of the cruise lines not installing the man overboard detection systems that are required by congress. My point is that just because someone hasn't done something doesn't mean that they don't know about things.
__________________
CCL Conquest 7 Day Western 2013 (December)
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2013
CCL Glory 7 Day Western 2010
CCL Destiny 5 Day Eastern 2009
CCL Fascination 5 Day Western 2008
RCI Majsity Of The Seas 4 Day Eastern 2007
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2005
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,431
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

sorry, I wasn't suggesting that you were trying to post incorrect information.

I was chuckling about the way something appears on the Internet, then it is must be true, then as the story moves from person to person it grows and changes, until it's not really close to the original story.

In this case somewhere in the thread someone surmised that no attempt has been made to repair the problem, and then someone else said they would never cruise a line where they do nothing to rectify the issue. Not a likely scenario.

Before long it'll be posted somewhere that the bottom of the pool collapsed and flooded most of the ship
__________________
Kuki
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 4,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post



In this case somewhere in the thread someone surmised that no attempt has been made to repair it D
Not sure where your reading that someone is surmising that there has been no attempted in trying to fix it...I'll have to go back and read ...again.

Speaking only for myself I do feel that the ongoing leak issue is taking to long to be repaired, I would think they should of been able to have it fixed by now because it doesn't look good.
__________________
~Robin~



Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,431
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Not sure where your reading that someone is surmising that there has been no attempted in trying to fix it...I'll have to go back and read ...again.

Speaking only for myself I do feel that the ongoing leak issue is taking to long to be repaired, I would think they should of been able to have it fixed by now because it doesn't look good.
That's sort of my point... I don't think we know it hasn't been. I did a search, and read perhaps 20 reviews. One from September mentioned a leak in the hallway. No mention of any since then.

So, I have no knowledge of if the repairs were done already, or not, but if it were still a problem I'd think it would have been mentioned again in either user reviews, or by all of the press who've sailed her since.
__________________
Kuki
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,900
Default

I gather that at this point, we don't know if it's a big leak, little leak or no leak at all.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13


Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mechanicsburg, VA
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Didn't she just come out of dry dock a new ship? I can understand the kinks but it is totally unacceptable for them not to fix it. I love Carnival and have never had a bad cruise with them but water leaks from wherever indicate an problem as minor as it may be. I can't even imagine being out in the middle of the ocean and walking down a hall and seeing one bucket catching dripping water.

Unlike others who love to knock Carnival that's not where I'm coming from. I will no doubt continue to sail the line in the future ,however I am giving other lines a try as we have only cruised Carnival with the exception of our one time Royal cruise.
I think the comment above "totally unacceptable for them not to fix it" is what Kuki meant by someone saying it wasn't going to be fixed.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 4,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
I think the comment above "totally unacceptable for them not to fix it" is what Kuki meant by someone saying it wasn't going to be fixed.
Ok I can see that, I should of said it differently .
__________________
~Robin~



Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Aerogirl's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A little south of insanity
Posts: 4,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
That's sort of my point... I don't think we know it hasn't been.
Right, I can't believe it would go on not being fixed for too long and I haven't read anything new about. I'm sure by now CNN would have had hold of it if there were a problem.
__________________
~Robin~



Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Ron Ron is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,307
Default

"They" told me "they" heard from " someone " they found the leak, re-routed the leaky pipe and it now drips out the bottom of the ship where no one will ever see it !
This eliminated the need for the bucket!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SPRING, TX
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
"They" told me "they" heard from " someone " they found the leak, re-routed the leaky pipe and it now drips out the bottom of the ship where no one will ever see it !
This eliminated the need for the bucket!
It is still a leak regardless of where it drips to. If it can not be fixed at sea now, it should be taken to dry dock for a week and figured out what it is and fix it now. "Duct taping" it does not solve the problem. With all the problems Carnival has been having in recent months, you would think they would handle this before it becomes major. Stop little from becoming big.
__________________
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 7/6/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 9/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 9/21/14
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2013, 10:49 PM
ToAdam12's Avatar
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 79
Send a message via AIM to ToAdam12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
sorry, I wasn't suggesting that you were trying to post incorrect information.

I was chuckling about the way something appears on the Internet, then it is must be true, then as the story moves from person to person it grows and changes, until it's not really close to the original story.

In this case somewhere in the thread someone surmised that no attempt has been made to repair the problem, and then someone else said they would never cruise a line where they do nothing to rectify the issue. Not a likely scenario.

Before long it'll be posted somewhere that the bottom of the pool collapsed and flooded most of the ship
First things first no apologies nesssary. I do research things that interest me, the tranformation of the sunshine I truly find to be fascinating. That being said I know that they had so many issues with the tranformation from cabins being vandalized, adding a last minute back up generator, leaks, and other issues. But that being said I really haven't seen an over the top bad review. Don't get me wrong there are some that when I read it it's simply the little things that people get irate about. But I really want to go on the sunshine. I would love to see more ships in the carnival fleet "sunshined" espically the fantasy class ships. But that another story.

Arogirl. Don't let one thing dis way from going on the sunshine it looks like a great ship and there maybe a small leaking problem and if they fix it and then you would be depriving yourself of carnivals newish ship. FYI there is a good debate if it is a new ship or simply a refurbished one. Me I couldn't really care what u call it. Let's face it CNN would not be going to round the clock coverage over this issue with the ship. You would how ever be very surprised at what doesn't get reported. Ever. But don't give the leak if it's still precessed or not. It is a great newish ship.
__________________
CCL Conquest 7 Day Western 2013 (December)
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2013
CCL Glory 7 Day Western 2010
CCL Destiny 5 Day Eastern 2009
CCL Fascination 5 Day Western 2008
RCI Majsity Of The Seas 4 Day Eastern 2007
CCL Imagination 4 Day Western 2005
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8
Default Just off the Sunshine TA

As a very recent cruiser on the Sunshine having completed the transatlantic voyage last sunday I am happy to report that there is nothing terribly wrong with the ship.

Yes there were a 'few' buckets in some of the hallways - not under the pool per se - I was on deck 2 and after a couple of days a bucket appeared in the starboard forward hallway - I understand there were a couple of buckets on some other decks (6 and 7?).....but it was really not a big deal and did not affect my cruise in any way.....

Of course if someone did have a leak INSIDE their cabin that was not taken care of that is a whole different issue - and should be addressed asap!

My only other comment was the 'ventilation' on the ship - some public spots freezing (e.g. ocean plaza, casino, show lounge) while others were warm (dining room) - Friends of minein a cabin on deck 2 had issues with their A/C which was not working - but I think it was finally addressed after 'too many' complaints!

The ship is beautiful and we had a great cruise - I would not hesitate to cruise on the Sunshine again....

Froufie
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old December 17th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 8
Default

I just got off the ship a couple of weeks ago, and I did not see this problem.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old December 17th, 2013, 07:58 PM
zydecocruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,961
Default

I've spent a number of days on Carnival Sunshine on both sides of the Atlantic and have yet to find a bucket. Most recent cruise was the Nov 18th cruise. I don't doubt that sometimes there are buckets but everytime I went to where one was reported, there were none. Snoozeman was on the TA and said there were leaks on the TA, so I don't doubt that.

Destiny was always a little leaky, anyway.

In any event, there are no serious problems. We will be on Carnival Sunshine again in February for the Bloggers Cruise and looking forward to it.

Pictures from the naming ceremony and Nov 18th cruise:
Carnival Sunshine Naming Ceremony and Inaugural New Orleans Cruise, Nov 17-24, 2013

from the May 17th cruise
Carnival Sunshine Cruise, May 17-26, 2013
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old December 18th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Snoozeman's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bosque County, Texas
Posts: 5,430
Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default

I saw buckets on the TA.

Not sure if I mentioned them in my review, but the problem has been mentioned many times.

She has problems, but you can have a great cruise on her.
__________________
Ray McDonald / Snoozeman

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 824
Default

Didn't the Titanic start as a leak albeit a large one?
__________________
1995-Jubilee
1996-Imagination
1998-Destiny
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2014, 23, 5th, carnival, cruise, email, february, floor, issues, leak, problems, sunshine

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunshine Friday! rollerdonna Chit - Chat for Cruisers 5 October 5th, 2012 05:24 PM
Sunday Sunshine! rollerdonna Chit - Chat for Cruisers 6 September 16th, 2012 03:33 PM
Thursday Sunshine! rollerdonna Chit - Chat for Cruisers 7 May 19th, 2011 12:53 PM
Saturday Sunshine anniegb Chit - Chat for Cruisers 10 March 19th, 2011 12:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1