CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Rethinking Aft choice (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/401362-rethinking-aft-choice.html)

Aerogirl March 12th, 2014 11:31 PM

Rethinking Aft choice

I've always wanted to try the extended aft and am now booked in one on Breeze.
I've been reading some not so good things lately, like their too hot, no privacy , garbage from other decks, soot & a lot of vibration, and then their are those who love them.

Thinking I should switch to a regular balcony maybe but then again if I don't try it I won't know if I like it or not.

Any opinions about your experiencein one would be appreciated.

storybookcruises.com March 13th, 2014 01:54 AM

Keep in mind that you're more apt to read negative comments than positive comments. It also depends on where you're reading them! That one site, we won't mention any names, but they are definitely full of critics who love nothing more than complaining about everything.

I have clients that absolutely refuse to sail unless they can get an aft cabin. They absolutely love them and just won't settle for any other type of cabin.

We've personally been in an aft cabin a couple of times and we've never had any problems whatsoever.

The problems you're referring to are problems I've heard from people in any type of balcony cabin.

As with anything else, it is what you make it. So don't listen to what others like or dislike and decide for yourself - it really is the only way to find out if it's something for you or not.

As I always say, what one person likes, another will hate and vice versa.

Pete

Manuel March 13th, 2014 08:00 AM

I have never tried it myself, but I do have friends that like the aft cabins.
Since my DW likes mid-ship, that's what we usually get. :)

Aerogirl, enjoy your cruise and tell us if you did or did not like the aft cabin.

TM

Aerogirl March 13th, 2014 10:19 AM

Thanks Peter &. Manuel

At this point I'm going to stop reading about it and just go with it..."this was my free cabin so it's probably a good time to see what we think about an aft cabin.

Aerogirl March 13th, 2014 02:21 PM

Manuel ....I'm a mid ship empress kind of gal myself:p

I'll get sure to give a full report:D

Mike M March 13th, 2014 03:17 PM

Robin.

Don't give it up! I had an aft, extended balcony on the Breeze and loved it. There was no soot, no garbage, no excessive noise and little vibration.

I will say that the cabin size of the aft wraparound balcony is quite small. The balcony is huge but the cabin layout is "strange" and not too great.

Keep it. I don't think you'll regret it.

Take care,
Mike

Aerogirl March 13th, 2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1496542)
Robin.

Don't give it up! I had an aft, extended balcony on the Breeze and loved it. There was no soot, no garbage, no excessive noise and little vibration.

I will say that the cabin size of the aft wraparound balcony is quite small. The balcony is huge but the cabin layout is "strange" and not too great.

Keep it. I don't think you'll regret it.

Take care,
Mike

Thanks Mike, we're keeping it.

Snoozeman March 13th, 2014 08:13 PM

You'll be glad you did.:cool:

CruiseAddict99 March 17th, 2014 03:05 AM

Pete nailed the right answer. Think about who you hear comments about their cruises from. It is either the person who is so excited by the experience they are jumping out of their skins, or the people who choose to focus on the negative.

I have been in aft cabins before and never experienced a single problem. I won't say I prefer them, but I prefer any cabin to not being on the cruise. I would probably never write a rave review of an aft cabin, because I have always thought of of them as just average, but I would never complain about it either.

Aerogirl March 17th, 2014 10:31 AM

Thanks snoozeman & cruiseaddict
We're keeping it, this way we learn more about what we like and don't like as we have no experience outside an OS & GS . I do like the idea of the extended part of the balcony.......we'll see and I will be sure give my opinion on it when we're back.

OldFartCruiser March 19th, 2014 10:22 PM

Not familiar w/the Breeze but some of the larger ships you will find you have to walk forever to reach your aft cabin. We prefer a cabin near midship elevators or if 2 banks of elevators, near the aft set. However our decision is based on our advanced age.

O F C'er

Mike M March 20th, 2014 09:51 AM

Robin:

The balcony is a nice size but not huge. Here is a picture of our aft balcony, on Breeze, from the June 2012 Cruisemates cruise.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...13963115_n.jpg

Take care,
Mike

Aerogirl March 20th, 2014 10:14 AM

Thanks Mike...
The wheels in my head were spinning again last night about switching. I see that deck 5 jets out so being on the side of the ship we would be looking down at a deck not the water....don't like that. Sticking with the aft so this way I know if it's something I'd like to book again.
It's dawned on me that I'm being awfully picky ....I'm basically going on a free cruise .......shut up already.....
I need to be slapped LOL

Floridanamaw March 20th, 2014 04:46 PM

Dream Aft

I popped on here to ask about the Aft balconies on the Dream. I had the same questions because I've heard about the soot, ect. Now after looking at the picture on here of the Breeze aft. I see it's not covered like the mid ship balconies. Are all the aft balconies like this? I like having the cover from the sun.

Aerogirl March 20th, 2014 07:01 PM

You and I are on Dream class ships, from what I understand the only deck that has coverage is deck 9. I think there's a small overhang just past the door but otherwise is open and I hear hot. We'll enjoy it in the morning and at night.

Floridanamaw March 20th, 2014 10:44 PM

I'll have to check into it a little further before I book anything. We really enjoy just sitting out on the balcony any time of the day.

Moiraine March 21st, 2014 12:40 AM

Robin, please stop overthinking this. Girlfriend, go and enjoy the free cruise and report back!

Aerogirl March 21st, 2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moiraine (Post 1497100)
Robin, please stop overthinking this. Girlfriend, go and enjoy the free cruise and report back!

Right? :p
I'm done thinking about it....I'm ready to feel the ocean breeze on Breeze.
I'll report back for sure.

Mike M March 21st, 2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floridanamaw (Post 1497088)
I popped on here to ask about the Aft balconies on the Dream. I had the same questions because I've heard about the soot, ect. Now after looking at the picture on here of the Breeze aft. I see it's not covered like the mid ship balconies. Are all the aft balconies like this? I like having the cover from the sun.

In my experience with aft balconies, and I've booked a number of them on different ships, is that almost all are uncovered. The only exception to this has been on Voyager of the Seas where the aft balcony was completely covered and was more like having a balcony in a pole barn than a true aft balcony. You were actually a long way from the water. The balcony was dark, dreary and the voices and noises of everyone echoed. Otherwise, all other aft balconies were nice, open and relaxing.

Take care,
Mike

storybookcruises.com March 21st, 2014 01:03 PM

We were on the Caribbean Princess with a small group of 9 family and friends. We got an aft balcony and it was great! We had enough room to go get another table from the Lido Deck along with a bunch more chairs. Needless to say, this is where the party was! (We were having a bon voyage party for our daughter - she left for Navy boot camp 3 days after we got back from the cruise.)

It was large, covered, and perfect for us. Would book that again in a heartbeat!

But those ships are more straight up and down in the back, so all the aft cabins are covered. Those that are slanted alot, such as on the Breeze, have open balconies, of which I'm not a fan. We like our shade so we can enjoy the balcony more often during sea days.

Pete

Floridanamaw March 21st, 2014 05:52 PM

I think I will stick with a balcony with a cover on it. I enjoy being on it but I like to be shaded.

nighthawk65 March 27th, 2014 10:39 PM

I have a aft wrap booked on deck 9 for the Breeze, The balcony is covered all the way to the rail so the people on the lido cannot look down onto the balcony and the divider between the aft extended balcony is straight up and down all the way to the rail, not angled like on other decks. The cabin is an 8D and slightly smaller and the balcony not as deep as a 9C.