Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2014, 03:00 PM
First Mate

Default SPAM Cruise Phone calls

Over the past week I have received several text msgs from 2 telephone numbers: 610-844-0866 and 439-235-6257. A Google search reveals they are both spam numbers. The 610 numbers says you have won a cruise. All you have to do is give them your credit card number to pay the $59 for port taxes Good luck on that

The other wanted me to call and set up tours on my upcoming Bahamas cruise.

OK, so they are Spam and I am not that dumb. But the bigger question is: How do they know I am a cruiser (yes, maybe hacking this board would do it). But how do they specifically know I am going to the Bahamas? Makes one wonder.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am not sure how THEY know specifically but I can tell you this...

Google Ads is now capable of reading your gmail messages (yes, they read your email) as well as watching where you go.

If you have been looking up web sites for tours in the Bahamas, and if you have been to a number of cruise web sites, then Google will "tag" you as a likely cruiser who is going to the Bahamas.

It is sad but true - I remember 8 years ago people were still so concerned about web privacy that California passed a law against spammers. I doubt if even one person has been convicted under that law.

Privacy on the web disappeared almost completely about 6 years ago. Even if you use "anonymous" browsers that delete cookies when you exit, THEY still keep a record of where you went.

I see it most when I get close to actually buying something - for example, I went to a site that sells honeycomb honey, and I actually filled out the shopping cart to order but changed my mind at the last minute. Within 15 minutes I was getting ads on all kinds of web sites offering me a discount coupon for that specific honey shop.

Another time I sent an email (through my gmail acct) to someone asking about his specific model of guitar for sale on Craigslist. Within an hour that same guitar was showing up in ads on web sites for sale at big online music retailers, and this is a specific model guitar, like if you wrote an email about a certain collectable toy doll from the 1950s and then saw an ad for the specific toy doll for sale someplace else.

It is truly scary how much privacy we have given away on the last few years, and there are no laws protecting us from all this snooping. And people thought the NSA was a problem, they have NO idea how much corporations know about all of us.
Old March 14th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Last Sunday on 60 Minutes there was a scary segment on how with every keystroke, there are people gathering info on us, selling it,and learning more about us then we could ever imagine......I am sure you can watch this segment online.
Big Brother is out there.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 14th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yep, it is scary, and don't forget cameras everywhere as well....A few years ago, it turned right on the end of a green arrow, actually got the yellow for 2 seconds, and a few weeks later, $100 ticket in the mail....It was right there on the camera....Needless to say, I am much more careful now.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 14th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Another thing people need to think about is this - with all of the DATA storage that is now available NOTHING will ever go away. Any email you write will remain in eternity.

And it is almost like they planned this. Remember how we all used to have "POP" email accounts where all email was downloaded to our computers. Then they made IMAP so convenient that is what most of us use now, and that means you can hardly even set up a private email folder anymore.

I use an email program called THUNDERBIRD that lets me keep my old email, and private folders in my computer. But if you use Windows Live - everything is on Microsoft's or Gmail's server.

And cookies - OY. You know, Facebook has a presence on almost every web site online, and if you are a member those web sites will track you and get your facebook profile.

If you really want to be anonymous in this world - you would never use your real name for anything online.
Old March 15th, 2014, 12:46 PM
First Mate

Ok. Thanks for all the info. I truly had forgotten all the stuff that gets recorded when you are on the computer. Maybe more like didn't pay attention would be a better description. It really is amazing what happens. Check the price of mustard at a deli site and lo, here comes 10 emails on that mustard. Thanks again for all the info.
Old March 15th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Admiral

If you want to be anonymous you would never have a bank account, credit card, driver's license, passport, etc. Not own a house or rent one. No insurance or doctor visits.

It isn't so easy to really drop off the grid.

In the meanwhile, stop using Google to search

https://duckduckgo.com/