CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Pride had one of transformers knocked out (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/401801-pride-had-one-transformers-knocked-out.html)

bonnyprincecharlie April 7th, 2014 11:10 AM

Pride had one of transformers knocked out

On my recent cruise on the Pride, one of the transformers malfunctioned Captain Luigi De Angelis reported in a letter to cruisers on April 3, 2014.
Ship skipped the Freeport stop. Carnival offered $50 USD per person; as well as $15.61 credit for taxes, fees and port expenses. In addtion Carnival offered a 25% discount on an 2- to7-day Carnival cruise sailed before April 3, 2016 and restrictions like on holiday cruises, Alaska, Australia, Europe, Hawaii and chartered sailings, etc.

One said that she felt this was not sufficient compensation, and was going to ask for a higher rate of compensation. Reaons for the higher rate of compensation was that this was a once a year vacation and the person wanted to go to Freeport.

Would it be worthwhile to ask for additonal compensation. What has been your experience in this kind of situation. Is Carnival being parsimonous?

Aerogirl April 7th, 2014 11:45 AM

I doubt your getting anything more than what you already got.
All cruise lines have the right to change itinerary for many reasons and it's in the cruise contract you agreed to....is it right.....no, however things happen .

Just an FYI you really didn't miss much by not going to Freeport in my opinion.

Matelot April 7th, 2014 04:11 PM

I don't think cruise lines guarantee anything other than a cruise- the destinations can change for a variety of reasons, at the discretion of the Captain. If you really need to be in a particular resort it's best to book a land vacation...

Snoozeman April 7th, 2014 04:51 PM

They didn't have to return anything other than the port fees.

The offer is above and beyond. I'd take it.

storybookcruises.com April 7th, 2014 06:06 PM

I have clients on this cruise and they were excited to get the $50 per person onboard credit as well as the 25% off another cruise. They thought this was a very good compensation package.

Plus, they felt like I did and others on here; missing Freeport was definitely not a big deal.

Not one of my favorite ports, so I agree that the compensation was adequate. And no, I don't think additional compensation will be given.

One of the things not mentioned in the original post was that passengers were also given the option to cancel the cruise, get a 100% refund, plus reimbursement for any extra air costs. So the person who thinks they ought to get more compensation has the option to cancel their cruise and book another one.

Pete

Ron April 7th, 2014 09:54 PM

It wouldn't matter if Carnival gave everyone $500 dollars and a discount off another cruise--some would still complain and want more--just human nature.
As regards to missing Freeport, I'm like some of the others--they sure didn't miss anything--I would happily take $50 dollars to miss it.

kandajones April 8th, 2014 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 1498311)
As regards to missing Freeport, I'm like some of the others--they sure didn't miss anything--I would happily take $50 dollars to miss it.

Sounds like the pax should be paying Carnival extra for NOT having to go to Freeport LOL

green_rd April 8th, 2014 07:45 AM

I don't know if I would consider the offer generous but that kind of compensation is getting standard. Just another sign that if you want to go to a particular destination you should get on a plane and go there.

dorothys56 April 8th, 2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandajones (Post 1498321)
Sounds like the pax should be paying Carnival extra for NOT having to go to Freeport LOL

My thoughts exactly!

Donna April 8th, 2014 03:11 PM

I certainly wouldn't be too upset about missing Freeport. Been there once and there is nothing to do there, unless you book an excursion...so no big deal..

Manuel April 8th, 2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1498322)
I don't know if I would consider the offer generous but that kind of compensation is getting standard. Just another sign that if you want to go to a particular destination you should get on a plane and go there.

I am in complete agreement with green rd.

TM

Ron April 8th, 2014 11:13 PM

Re / paying Carnival Not to go to Freeport, actually you can--just book a cruise that doesn't stop there !! :) :)