Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default We're doing it again!

This time our 30th Wedding anniversary on the Magic! Stoked to the core and have more than a year to go! question what places can you dine at no additional charge besides the main dining room and buffet? I know these newer ships have a lot of dining choices but from what I hear it's mostly at additional cost. I'm just trying to plan and establish a budget for our trip so I won't have any unwanted surprises at the end. (BTW--we don't drink so won't have a huge bar tab other than maybe a few sodas or some occasional virgin drinks). We went on Conquest in 2005 for our 20th and were totally spoiled and pampered, then the following year took our family on RCC Monarch of Seas and were kinda disappointed because the things we took for granted that were offered on conquest at no charge, we had to pay for on MofS's . Haven't cruised since but now we're going Carnival once again!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Admiral

How nice.
You don't have to worrie about spending money on food as there are plenty of free places to eat. Since your celebrations you might want to do the steakhouse one night at a cost of $35.00 pp, it would be a nice little dinner.
Other than the gratuity you really don't need to spend a lot extra.
Have a great cruise.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 26th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Familiar Face

Congratulation on your anniversary! The Magic is one of my favorite and like Aerogirl mentioned, the steakhouse is very much worth the $35 pp surcharge. If you go on the first night of your cruise, they will give you a free bottle of wine---not sure if that is much of a benefit since you don't drink, but thought I mention it. The Italian restaurant has a surcharge for dinner, but is free during lunch. Red Frog Pub serves Caribbean inspired bar food and charges $3.33 per plate. It's not free, but almost. Tandoori bar is free, but feels more like an extension of Lido buffet. Otherwise the sandwich bar, pizza pirate, sea dog (hot dog), taste (appetizers) bar, and room service are all free. The Magic is due for dry dock/fun 2.0 upgrades early 2015, so there could be more options by the time you sail. Cost of soda is $1.95 per glass/can, $4.75 for virgin "mocktails" drinks. You can bring up to 12 cans of soda, bottle water or juice. $11.50 in tips added daily to your Sail and Sign account. But that number is higher if you factor in (discretionary) tipping, e.g., room service, bag handlers, etc. I'm a social drinker and my last "bill" for a seven day cruise on Carnival was $120.
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Congratulations on your anniversary. We are doing our 30th anniversary (impromtu) cruise on Saturday, on board the Carnival Liberty.

I still believe that Carnival gives you the most "bang for your buck". The steakhouse is probably your main "pay" option for dining. Magic will undergo the Funship 2.0 upgrades in February of 2015 and will have Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana and the other 2.0 upgrades installed at that time.

Have a great time.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 28th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default one more question

Do they still give tours of the ship (engineering plant etc) ?? I know for a while they did it not during our 2005 cruise but started after a few years after that if I remember correctly--also know it's very pricey but I think it may have also included the captain's table??. are they worth it?? also the captain's table?? I know it's pricey but thinking about it.
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom1 View Post
Do they still give tours of the ship (engineering plant etc) ?? I know for a while they did it not during our 2005 cruise but started after a few years after that if I remember correctly--also know it's very pricey but I think it may have also included the captain's table??. are they worth it?? also the captain's table?? I know it's pricey but thinking about it.
Yes. It's two different items and thus two different charges if you do it. I've done both on Magic. Very different and both good. I think I would say "behind the scene" is better of two.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 5th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Welcome Newcomer

OK got another question and this probably isn't the place to put it but: we've decided to come in a few days earlier and see Johnson space center what I need to find out what transportation options do we have from a hotel near Houston Hobby to the Johnson space center -we're thinking we'll go back to airport on cruise day and take carnival transp. from airport to cruise terminal and back unless we can do something better?? not really sure of options available --thanks
Old August 1st, 2014, 10:53 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy

What did you like most about the Magic?
Old August 23rd, 2014, 03:03 AM
Familiar Face

Dannyboy, this might sound arbitrary, but a large part of what makes a cruise a "favorite" are the people who are cruising with me. I was very fortunate to have shared a cabin with Brad Mckee on the Magic and needless to say, that cruise was very memorable. I also found that the crowd from Texas was especially friendly, and have made many friends that I'm still in touch with. I will say that Galveston is a pain (in the everywhere) to get to, and wish that a state so reliant on finite resources would accommodate the more environmentally conscious (because cruising is just so environmentally responsible) travelers by providing public transportation. I also found the Magic to be clean, the crew knowledgeable, the staff friendly, and the MDR food decent. The steakhouse (IMO) is better than Sterling or Crown Grill on Princess, both in presentation and taste, and almost as good as Pinnacle Grill on Holland. Sure, I miss sleeping on premium sheets, Italian table linens in the main dining room, truly amazing inclusive specialty restaurants such as Nobu, decent attempts at Le Cirque, the extra perks from Princess' loyalty program, but the friends I meet on cruises are the ones who will make the experience special. One last mention for Carnival... extra expenses such as shore excursions and alcohol are far less (better value) than other mid market/premium lines. This goes for wine markups as well.