CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival's new smoking policy (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/402909-carnivals-new-smoking-policy.html)

ruthlessboss July 8th, 2014 11:51 AM

Carnival's new smoking policy
 
Yikes!! Never thought Carnival would ban balcony smoking yet. It's lit up the board on the "other" site. Effective October 9.:shock: Someone posted a letter supposedly from his travel agent.

Dave Beers July 8th, 2014 12:07 PM

Here is the text from Carnival:

“Effective October 9, 2014, Carnival Cruise Lines will no longer allow smoking on stateroom balconies fleetwide. The company already prohibits smoking within staterooms. Carnival’s updated smoking policy is consistent with most other major cruise lines. Smoking will continue to be allowed in designated open deck areas, as well as night clubs and certain areas within the casino and casino bar.

Guests who smoke in their staterooms or on their balconies will be assessed a $250 cleaning and refreshing fee on their Sail & Sign account. Information on this fee is included in Carnival’s ticket contract. We appreciate our guests’ understanding of this modification to our smoking policy based on guest feedback.”


In addition to the smoking changes, the line will be increasing it’s daily gratuity guideline from $11.50 a day to $12.00 per day.

Dave Beers July 8th, 2014 12:47 PM

I think this leaves HAL and NCL as the only major lines that allow balcony smoking.

ruthlessboss July 8th, 2014 12:56 PM

I think those are the last two. I'd like to know how they will "clean and refresh" a balcony. I don't think they even do that now with balcony smokingrofl

conway scott July 8th, 2014 01:16 PM

I could care less about balconeys, I want to see a smoking ban in the casino.

Dave Beers July 8th, 2014 01:28 PM

'Clean and refresh' is probably what the legal department said they should call it. Simply saying they will fine you $250 probably gets into a gray area of civil law.

ruthlessboss July 8th, 2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conway scott (Post 1503488)
I could care less about balconeys, I want to see a smoking ban in the casino.

Are you okay? The casino will be our new overused smoking area thanks to non smoker complaints. They are calling it a victory on smoking, but you've truly caused a new problem.

Ron July 8th, 2014 11:12 PM

I don't smoke and if the other guy dies, that's his right if he / she chooses to do so. Naturally, like everything else, it should be in the proper place, if such a place is provided for it. I can understand how smoking in a cabin can leave an unpleasant smoke odor for the next guests coming aboard.
I've never been too concerned about people smoking on their balconies --if a ship is moving at 18-20 knots, the breeze will dissipate the smoke before it has a chance to travel very far at all and it's not likely that everyone on one side of the ship would be on their balcony smoking at the same time to generate large amounts of smoke--but, as I said, I don't smoke so it doesn't matter to me.
I do find it rather funny that some people will complain about smelling smoke and investigate as to who may be taking a puff somewhere--then those same people will gorge themselves all week day and night on fat, grease, sweets, and drink several gallons of alcohol--all of which is much more harmful than getting a whiff of smoke now and then.
Just my 2 cents -- doesn't bother me one way or the other---happy sailing, happy eating and happy puffing to all !! :)

Aerogirl July 8th, 2014 11:49 PM

That's too bad as I travel with a smoker. I agree Ron the smoke doesn't stay around long enough to really bother people. I think people have just become over sensitive to the smell simply because is been ban just about everywhere so the slightest hint of the smell people over react. Really makes no sense to allow smoking in the Casio but not on your balcony.

Ron July 10th, 2014 12:36 AM

Just to correct myself and to be clear, in the first line of my post I said " if the other guy dies "-- I meant that to say if the other guy does--
It had been a rough day !! :):)

Truck Cruiser July 10th, 2014 08:44 AM

really sad! I was planning on booking a cruise on Carnival for February but now may reconsider. NCL will be getting all my business from now on as long as they don't change their smoking policy!

Travelbuggs July 10th, 2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser (Post 1503643)
really sad! I was planning on booking a cruise on Carnival for February but now may reconsider. NCL will be getting all my business from now on as long as they don't change their smoking policy!

Yes, it looks like from viewing "that other" message board for Norwegian, many people are reporting canceling their Carnival cruise and rebooking with NCL. It has created a bit of an uproar there between the smokers and non smokers who are none too happy to see more smokers come aboard. I think I am correct in saying that Carnival and HAL are the same company? Did they assume all the disgruntled smokers would head on over to HAL instead? Wonder if the boards report any increase in rebookings there. And I also have to wonder, if they do have the same parent company, how long will it be before HAL follows suit? I would have been less surprised to have seen this announcement from HAL rather than Carnival to begin with.

And to the poster who stated that the smoke on a balcony does not linger long, it really does depend on the wind and location of the balcony. I think only once did we have any problem, but we apparently had a chain smoker(s) next to us who never left the balcony. It was very unpleasant to be on our balcony. If you are port or starboard and downwind as the ship goes forward, you will get the smoke of your neighbors blown onto your balcony. We love the aft facing cabins, one reason being the smoke tends to trail off behind the ship instead of drifting next door. I don't have any major respiratory conditions, but those who do can really be affected.

BernieG July 10th, 2014 06:45 PM

NCL and HAL will be next, they won't wait too long. So while you may move a cruise in the immediate future, resistence is futile, they'll all be like this soon.

Snoozeman July 11th, 2014 03:53 AM

Maybe someone will quit smoking? Maybe it will save a life?

There will be a nonsmoker that will now book a balcony for every smoker that cancels. That won't be a problem.

Travelbuggs July 11th, 2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1503697)
Maybe someone will quit smoking? Maybe it will save a life?

There will be a nonsmoker that will now book a balcony for every smoker that cancels. That won't be a problem.


Well, as Ron stated in this thread, "I don't smoke, and if the other guy dies, that's his right if he/she chooses to do so". ( Yes, Ron, I now know it was a typo, but I read it and didn't blink an eye ), LOL.

I doubt this balcony ban will deter anyone from smoking. They'll just move over to another cruise line as long as there is one available. No one quits until they make up their own minds to do so, like with any other addiction. I just hope there is not enough of an increase in smoking on my favorite line that it affects the experience for me as a non smoker.

Truck Cruiser July 11th, 2014 11:13 AM

If you can't smoke on your balcony or stateroom then you will see the Casino become filled with smokers inside the ship. People already complain about smoking in the casino and it will only get worse. Same will go with smoking areas on the upper decks! It is already hard to find a place to sit and smoke in the smoking areas of the Lido decks, it will be worse now!

Didn't Carnival do away with the Cigar bars on all ships already?

BernieG July 11th, 2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser (Post 1503725)
If you can't smoke on your balcony or stateroom then you will see the Casino become filled with smokers inside the ship. People already complain about smoking in the casino and it will only get worse. Same will go with smoking areas on the upper decks! It is already hard to find a place to sit and smoke in the smoking areas of the Lido decks, it will be worse now!

Didn't Carnival do away with the Cigar bars on all ships already?

Didn't happen on other lines and I doubt it will happen now.

zydecocruiser July 12th, 2014 06:57 AM

After the knee jerk reactions have subsided, smokers will adapt or move on. I doubt NCL or HAL will be "safe havens" for long. For every smoker that moves on there are several non-smokers and even flexible smokers who could replace. The ships will still sail full.

On Celebrity, the casinos are non-smoking and on Princess there are smoke free casino nights. It could happen on Carnival.

The handwriting has been on the wall for sometime. Nobody should be surprised.

friedshrimp July 12th, 2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 1503620)
Just to correct myself and to be clear, in the first line of my post I said " if the other guy dies "-- I meant that to say if the other guy does--
It had been a rough day !! :):)

Actually, either word fits just fine. ;)

friedshrimp July 12th, 2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelbuggs (Post 1503663)
Yes, it looks like from viewing "that other" message board for Norwegian, many people are reporting canceling their Carnival cruise and rebooking with NCL. It has created a bit of an uproar there between the smokers and non smokers who are none too happy to see more smokers come aboard. I think I am correct in saying that Carnival and HAL are the same company? Did they assume all the disgruntled smokers would head on over to HAL instead? Wonder if the boards report any increase in rebookings there. And I also have to wonder, if they do have the same parent company, how long will it be before HAL follows suit? I would have been less surprised to have seen this announcement from HAL rather than Carnival to begin with.

And to the poster who stated that the smoke on a balcony does not linger long, it really does depend on the wind and location of the balcony. I think only once did we have any problem, but we apparently had a chain smoker(s) next to us who never left the balcony. It was very unpleasant to be on our balcony. If you are port or starboard and downwind as the ship goes forward, you will get the smoke of your neighbors blown onto your balcony. We love the aft facing cabins, one reason being the smoke tends to trail off behind the ship instead of drifting next door. I don't have any major respiratory conditions, but those who do can really be affected.

No, Carnival and Holland America are different companies owned by the same parent (Carnival Corporation). Each company has it's own management team. I think more people will gravitate towards NCL than HAL due to pricing.

Barryn514 July 12th, 2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Really makes no sense to allow smoking in the Casio but not on your balcony.
The casino make money off smokers and non-smokers, and yes they will tell you that if you aren't sitting at a table game or slot, you cannot smoke. It's about the money.

I have always booked a balcony because I like to smoke but never have in the cabin. I can understand not smoking in the cabin because of the smell that it leave in the room, I don't even smoke in our home or car.

Travelbuggs July 15th, 2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieG (Post 1503672)
NCL and HAL will be next, they won't wait too long. So while you may move a cruise in the immediate future, resistence is futile, they'll all be like this soon.


Looks like you may be right! There is a hot and heavy rumor going that NCL will announce a balcony smoking ban on Wednesday of this week to be effective on November 1st. This was from someone who has inside info. Reportedly, smoking allowed in casino only, as long as you are gambling. I assume there would still be smoking areas on the open decks as before.

The rumor is substantiated by someone who had contacted a Corporate VP about NCL's policy and they were gotten back to by email with the info that the policy was under review and a decision would be made within two weeks. A few days later came the "inside info" announcement from someone else. Several people report that they have called NCL's customer service line, and the rumor was confirmed by them to be true.

Additionally, HAL is rumored to be making an announcement sometime next week.

If true, at least the playing field will be more level, and a huge influx of smokers will not deluge the last remaining balcony smoking allowed cruise line.

Cruznut2 July 15th, 2014 10:53 AM

These are just thoughts of mine and have no basis in fact, yet. My feeling is that a mainstream cruise line will go all the way and ban smoking altogether and it is not that far into the future. I have a feeling that the Princess will be the first to do so and others will follow soon after. These ideas have been with me for quite a while and I think could happen or it could be wishful thinking on my part.


Laura

Barryn514 July 15th, 2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

will go all the way and ban smoking altogether
Could be, but think it will hurt the cruise companies more by doing so. Like it or not, there are people that enjoy smoking and will take their business else where.

Guess we will see what the future holds.

Cruznut2 July 15th, 2014 11:48 AM

Just thinking that 77% of the population are non smokers. Yes, if the cruise lines went to non smoking they would lose the smokers altogether. On the other hand they would gain a lot of non smokers that wouldn't cruise because of the smoking. It could go either way. Regardless of what happens. I am still cruising every chance I get.


Laura

Dave Beers July 15th, 2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelbuggs (Post 1504027)
Looks like you may be right! There is a hot and heavy rumor going that NCL will announce a balcony smoking ban on Wednesday of this week to be effective on November 1st.

Coincidentally, Norwegian is having a webinar tomorrow (Wednesday) with travel partners.

friedshrimp July 15th, 2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruznut2 (Post 1504037)
These are just thoughts of mine and have no basis in fact, yet. My feeling is that a mainstream cruise line will go all the way and ban smoking altogether and it is not that far into the future. I have a feeling that the Princess will be the first to do so and others will follow soon after. These ideas have been with me for quite a while and I think could happen or it could be wishful thinking on my part.


Laura

They may do so and if that is the case, they will lose a LOT of business. It's one thing to go to a movie for a couple of hours or so and not smoke but to take a 7 day cruise and not smoke? Completely different. Many passengers also go cruising for the sake of the cruise and ship and not necessarily the port but if a cruiser went on a non-smoking ship I could see them helping to put down the gang plank so as to have a smoke as soon as their feet hit dry land.

Yes, I am a smoker and I enjoy cruising as well as my land based vacations. I don't really care about the smoking ban on the balcony as I rarely waste money on a balcony. But the minute they make the ship smoke free is the minute I stop cruising. I know that many feel the same which is why the casinos still allow smokers. It's all about money and it's one thing to make smoking a little difficult on a ship, the smoker may be inconvenienced but they are still there spending their money. It's quite s different thing to kill it completely on ship and most smokers will just say adios, something no cruise line wants.

Not saying you are incorrect, it may happen, but I don't think any cruise line is stupid enough to kill smoking on all of their ships.

Aerogirl July 15th, 2014 05:22 PM

I don't believe for one second that the cruise lines would go 100% non smoking.
They will accommodate smokers and keep certain areas for them.
I'm not a smoker but think it's wrong that smokers are treated like criminals and people have no tolerance these days toward smoke.

Travelbuggs July 15th, 2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beers (Post 1504048)
Coincidentally, Norwegian is having a webinar tomorrow (Wednesday) with travel partners.


Some are already reporting that they have been contacted by email from their PCCs at NCL customer service with the confirmation of the No Balcony smoking ban. Also same from those who book with Casinos At Sea. Have not seen anyone report that their TA contacted them.

Interestingly, someone has ventured a guess that the change is related to new SOLAS regulations which would require a policy change to no smoking on balconies OR the retrofitting of smoke detectors and suppresser systems as well as enclosure modifications for all balconies ( to contain the dreaded drifting smoke ). If so, I think we can expect HAL to quickly follow suit.

If it is tied to new SOLAS regs, it is easy to see why they just simply went no smoking for balconies. It does not cost them a penny up front. Whether they will lose business or gain business in the long run, who knows.

I trust you will post the announcement on the board here after your webinar or when NCL makes it official.

Dave Beers July 15th, 2014 06:13 PM

We'll post any news. The thing about it being tied to SOLAS....I don't think it is and here's why: Royal Caribbean and Carnival have taken a LOT of grief about banning the balcony smoking. If it were due to SOLAS I'm certain they would have said so in order to deflect some of the outcry.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1